Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by rinneby » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:50 am
Today’s trivia - i just noticed this thread clicked over 100,000 views..... Wow!
Amazing! Well deserved.

/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Juan Miguel Carmona
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:30 pm

100,000! Maybe I can add a little to the repository of knowledge here with a comparison of the various Kohnos I've acquired in the last 18 months.

powermrk wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 am

Congratulations

Which Kohno do you own that has better sound?

Thanks
I now have '66 No 5, '68 No 7, '68 No 12, '77 No 20, and a '89 Professional-J.

All the guitars are variations on the same theme but with subtle strengths and weaknesses.

At the top tier are the 68/12 and 77/20. Both of these guitars have that signature Kohno sound in spades – dark, throaty (some say cello-like) basses with vibrant, popping trebles on top. Both have plenty of volume and both sound great strummed. The ’68 has a little more body to the notes while the ’77 is very crisp sounding – the sound is very well defined. Both guitars have wide (53mm) and thick necks that make playing more of a challenge for me. If you have long fingers you'd be fine.

In the middle is the '89 Professional-J. This one is the most playable of all with a 650 scale and a thinner neck (but not Cordoba thin). It has enchanting, vibrant trebles and little less presence to the bass. A little bit of a trade off that is fantastic when it matches my mood.

All three of the above have that simple lattice bracing (though none of them are identical) and, when in hand, each is my favorite Kohno. Until I pick up next one that is.

I find the 66/5 and 68/7 identical in both sound and playability. Both have the same Kohno sound at a slightly lower volume. Both have interesting trebles that are less pure on the fundamental and more "honeyed". Not sure that these are keepers. There's nothing wrong with them I just prefer the later ones. The 66/5 has 5 fan bracing and the 68/7 has 7 fans and a treble bar.

Anyway that's my update!

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:33 am

tkoehler1 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:30 pm
100,000! Maybe I can add a little to the repository of knowledge here with a comparison of the various Kohnos I've acquired in the last 18 months.

powermrk wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 am

Congratulations

Which Kohno do you own that has better sound?

Thanks
I now have '66 No 5, '68 No 7, '68 No 12, '77 No 20, and a '89 Professional-J.

All the guitars are variations on the same theme but with subtle strengths and weaknesses.

At the top tier are the 68/12 and 77/20. Both of these guitars have that signature Kohno sound in spades – dark, throaty (some say cello-like) basses with vibrant, popping trebles on top. Both have plenty of volume and both sound great strummed. The ’68 has a little more body to the notes while the ’77 is very crisp sounding – the sound is very well defined. Both guitars have wide (53mm) and thick necks that make playing more of a challenge for me. If you have long fingers you'd be fine.

In the middle is the '89 Professional-J. This one is the most playable of all with a 650 scale and a thinner neck (but not Cordoba thin). It has enchanting, vibrant trebles and little less presence to the bass. A little bit of a trade off that is fantastic when it matches my mood.

All three of the above have that simple lattice bracing (though none of them are identical) and, when in hand, each is my favorite Kohno. Until I pick up next one that is.

I find the 66/5 and 68/7 identical in both sound and playability. Both have the same Kohno sound at a slightly lower volume. Both have interesting trebles that are less pure on the fundamental and more "honeyed". Not sure that these are keepers. There's nothing wrong with them I just prefer the later ones. The 66/5 has 5 fan bracing and the 68/7 has 7 fans and a treble bar.

Anyway that's my update!
Thanks for your detailed description !

I have only one kohno which is a 64 no.5. It's fan bracing but not sure is 5 or 7 fans. Because this is the only kohno i have ever played on my hands, i haven't enough experience to say it is better or worse than other kohnos no matter they were made by which bracing design and years.

I think (let me know if i am wrong) the kohno with fan bracing has more traditional spanish sound whilst lattice bracing kohno has so called more moderen, brighter tone.

My kohno is 650 scale which i prefer and 51 nut width. The guitar is light weight with slightly low volume as you have mentioned on your fan bracing kohnos. In additional, the neck of my kohno bent over which i have a repairman to fix it.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:35 am

please delete ……

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:50 pm

powermrk you could say they were more traditional Spanish sounding. Certainly the bracing is more traditional.

Return to “Luthiers”