Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by Alexandru Marian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:04 am

Good to hear everything is fine. You have my deepest sympathy. Hopefully it will be over soon, and at that time you will only be stronger than before.

randyman

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club

Post by randyman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:52 pm

I also wish to express my appreciation for the updates on the status of Whooper-san and Maestro Sakurai, and my heartfelt concern and empathy for the dreadful trials the people of Japan are enduring. I have long held a deep interest and fascination for many aspects of Japanese culture, and felt a very strong connection as events have unfolded. My thoughts, hopes and best wishes are very much with you all.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi randyman,

Welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

randyman

Kohno Concert model... where does it fit in?

Post by randyman » Sun May 01, 2011 7:32 pm

(I'm re-posting a question I asked elsewhere... I should have had the good sense to start here, first!)

I'm two weeks away from taking possession of a mint 1982 Kohno Concert model guitar. I'm very excited; this is my first nylon/classical/spanish style six-string.

I know that Kohnos in other years often carry model numbers and names; I'm interested in finding out where this guitar sits in the spectrum of Kohno/Sakurai instruments.

Any and all comments are much appreciated - thanks!

Randy

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Mon May 02, 2011 5:51 am

Hi Randyman san,

After the old numbering till 80, I assume Maestro, Special, Professiona, and concert in an ascending order.

FYI: http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... akurai.htm

Regards
Whooper :D
P.S. Is yours a 660 mm long model?

randyman

Post by randyman » Tue May 03, 2011 2:16 am

Thank you, Whooper san, for this wonderful news. It's more than I dared to hope!

I actually don't know the scale length... could you let me know the preferred method for measuring (from nut to... where?) and I will ask the current owner. Just a little over two weeks until delivery!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 am

The scale length is the sounding length of the strings - so measure it from the inner side of the nut to the bridge saddle.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue May 03, 2011 10:14 am

pogmoor wrote:The scale length is the sounding length of the strings - so measure it from the inner side of the nut to the bridge saddle.
The majority of luthiers move the saddle toward the tail a couple mm's to achieve more correct intonation. Hence, the nominal scale length is twice the distance between the nut and the twelfth fret.

I'm no luthier, but cannot pass this opportunity to be a smart ass, especially to a mod :wink:

gitr52639

Post by gitr52639 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:04 pm

I own a M. Sakurai 1982 "Concert" model. I believe this name is no longer used. Can anyone tell me the new substitute name for this model?

gitr52639

Post by gitr52639 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 pm

OK, I think I found the answer to my own question. The M. Sakurai 1982 "Concert" is now the model 20. I wonder if this guitar is any different from the 1982 Kohno.

Guitune

Post by Guitune » Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm

I just bought a 1983 Masaru Kohno Special.

I have 3 questions about this wonderful instrument:

1- What was the kind of finish ?
It looks thicker than french finish but not like a lacquer.

2- Where did the spruce table come from: Hokkaido or Europe ?

3- My Kohno came with its original case. Does somebody know what case brand MK used ?

Thanks in advance for the expert answers.

Guitune

Post by Guitune » Fri May 27, 2011 7:13 am

My partial answer (to my question)
Kohno's nefew (Sakurai) told me yesterday that MK only used nitrocellulose finish, like all ather Japan luthiers (because of Japan humidity).
He varnished the inside of his guitar too.

mae

Post by mae » Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 am

Whooper wrote:Hi Randyman san,

After the old numbering till 80, I assume Maestro, Special, Professiona, and concert in an ascending order.
"descending" order, no?

Julian

Post by Julian » Fri May 27, 2011 10:06 am

Guitune wrote:I just bought a 1983 Masaru Kohno Special.

I have 3 questions about this wonderful instrument:

1- What was the kind of finish ?
It looks thicker than french finish but not like a lacquer.

2- Where did the spruce table come from: Hokkaido or Europe ?

3- My Kohno came with its original case. Does somebody know what case brand MK used ?

Thanks in advance for the expert answers.
1. Masaru Kohno used a cashew finish
2. German spruce (in those days)
3. Similar case is still available if search thoroughly. But no brand.

Julian
Masaru Kohno No.50 - 1981
Yamaha GC 71 - 1984
Gary Southwell - 1997 ex. Julian Bream - a bench copy of 'Hauser 1940'
Oskar Graf - 2000
Fritz Ober 'Hauser 1' - 2007
Richard Brune 'Fleta 1956' - 2011
Andrea Tacchi 'Bouchet' - 2014

randyman

Post by randyman » Fri May 27, 2011 3:42 pm

My 1982 Kohno Concert arrived yesterday, and I'm in love. I was incredibly fortunate; it's truly in mint condition, and honestly looks as if it could have been made this year. What a masterful piece of craftsmanship and artistry.

It was owned by a collector who didn't play it much, as he owns 20 or so other guitars, and prefers steel string. He says that the strings are about 8 months old; I haven't changed them yet, as I'm letting the guitar get acclimated to the change in humidity from California to Rhode Island.

One of the first things I did was measure the scale length; this is indeed a 660mm fretboard. It doesn't seem uncomfortable or unnatural to me at all. Then again, as I'm very much an entry-level guitarist, I may have less to unlearn or re-adjust.

There's no question that it's the most responsive guitar I've ever played. Even with the old strings, the sound is rich and full, and the whole body vibrates as if it's a living, breathing organism. I really feel a tremendous amount of affection for this instrument.

Before it arrived, I was searching through lists of Japanese female names, wondering what I should call this new arrival. Well, as they say, one should wait on such things, as the instrument will let you know what her name is. She let me know that name is Satori, for that's the state of being I enter when I pick her up.

Now I know how fortunate we members of the the Kohno & Sakurai Fan Club truly are!

Return to “Luthiers”