Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Marco32

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by Marco32 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:09 pm

rinneby wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:02 pm
I'm glad you like the guitar ;)

/Jon
Yes indeed. I have to say that at first I like it but it was on par with my Ramirez ( not sound wise, just to my liking), then my wife heard me playing and asked to play the Ramirez for a second and then told me there’s a huge difference, being the Sakurai fuller, warmer and louder. I played in a better reflecting room and understood. The projection was way better. Then, after the luthier made his magics, it sounded even better. Now it’s also opening up.. looks like I’m going to like it even more. I also have to admit that it was a bit muddy with normal strings, 45s and such, but Goldin really pull the best out of it, adding clarity, even more volume and eveness.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Marco32 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:09 pm
rinneby wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:02 pm
I'm glad you like the guitar ;)

/Jon
Yes indeed. I have to say that at first I like it but it was on par with my Ramirez ( not sound wise, just to my liking), then my wife heard me playing and asked to play the Ramirez for a second and then told me there’s a huge difference, being the Sakurai fuller, warmer and louder. I played in a better reflecting room and understood. The projection was way better. Then, after the luthier made his magics, it sounded even better. Now it’s also opening up.. looks like I’m going to like it even more. I also have to admit that it was a bit muddy with normal strings, 45s and such, but Goldin really pull the best out of it, adding clarity, even more volume and eveness.
:guitare: :bravo:
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
1973 - Masaru Matano Classe 600
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Marco32 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am
The only way to test this, is to insert a light in the soundhole, if the body let the light pass through the top wood, like a latern, is spruce, if not is cedar.
Thanks for the tip, I tested it and it is indeed spruce. Just an odd color. Funny what you find out when you post about your guitar. In fact one of the previous owners contacted me about it and thus I've found out about 3 cleated cracks, one on the back and two on the sound board. They had been so expertly repaired (by luthier Eric Reid) that I missed them (as did GSI). I also found out this link to when the guitar was sold previously. It has a nice sound sample - https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/kohno ... uitar.html

By the way that is an awesome looking Kohno you have, as is stratlanta's - nice guitars both!

TK

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Nice guitar Marco. Thanks for sharing and best of luck with it.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:22 am

Quick question for the Delcamp brain trust. My Kohno arrived in a nice vintage case, which while it has a cool vibe it's actually a pretty crappy case. Very little padding. There's no sense in keeping it, is there? I can't imagine it's adding any value. I'm not planning on selling anyway. Just want to be sure before I chuck it.

Thanks,

TK

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:14 am

tkoehler1 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:22 am
Quick question for the Delcamp brain trust. My Kohno arrived in a nice vintage case, which while it has a cool vibe it's actually a pretty crappy case. Very little padding. There's no sense in keeping it, is there? I can't imagine it's adding any value. I'm not planning on selling anyway. Just want to be sure before I chuck it.

Thanks,

TK
If I actually never sold any guitar which I thought was “the one” or anyway never for sale, my house would have no room left! ;) I usually keep all cases, might turn useful for shipping, gift for gigbagged kids, turn them into book shelves etc

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:59 pm

I saw a Masaki Sakurai Special 2013 with its bracing posted online (a guitarsalon dot be website), wonder if anyone can articulate on this design?

I also found a Canadian luthier emulates this bracing and adds the typical Torre "V-shape" braces at the bottom, pic attached. It's about 3, 4 hour-drive from where I live to his workshop, thus I am curious enough to try out this spruce top IRW some weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Franco

Post by Franco » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:51 am

Hi, I’d appreciate any thoughts you have - I’m an electric guitar player and would like a good CG. My local shop has a few I’ve tried, narrowed down to
2007 kohno pro J w/ BR back and sides
1986 Marcelinho Lopez, cedar top
I am going back this week as the strings on both were a bit old, and advice what to look out for, I could tell a few differences but not enough to sway me, thoughts on value would be most appreciated. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 miles henderson smith

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 am

I do own Kohno Pro-J from 2004 and though being for sale, she still impresses me with here wide and open tonal spectrum, profound basses, good separation and sparkling projection. But it must be noted that it should be correctly named Sakurai-Kohno, because Masaki Sakurai is now the builder resp. leader of the workshop after Masaru Kohno passed away in 1998.

Unfortunately can‘t comment on the Lopez guitar but read what James‘ comment in your other thread which sounds very, very interesting!

At the end it’s all a matter of your personal taste. So take time and keep trying theses guitars until you are really convinced that this is really the one you like and want irrespective of brand or maker.

One thing you should take care of is that they restring the guitars with the same Nylon string brand, preferably even the often criticized EJ45. This should make it easier to hear the real potential of the guitars. Avoid Carbon strings! Not in general but just for testing. Particularly the Pro-J will have almost infinit sustain with Carbon strings which might influence your decision knowing you’re coming from an e-guitar background. :wink:

Good Luck! :D

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:53 pm

I just saw this on EvilBay today - 1970 Kohno #7. Looks like the same guitar is have (except my No. 7 was from 1968). The price is about 60% what I paid for mine, even with the expensive shipping. The wild card is deciphering the description and do you trust this seller. They do offer 30 day returns though.

This seems like a really good deal to me, but I am no expert.

Am I allowed to post a link? Well I was going to post a link but the insert url button doesn't seem to work. You'll have to search for it. It's on e - b a y today 4/8/18.

TK
Last edited by tkoehler1 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Franco

Post by Franco » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:52 pm

es335 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 am
I do own Kohno Pro-J from 2004 and though being for sale, she still impresses me with here wide and open tonal spectrum, profound basses, good separation and sparkling projection. But it must be noted that it should be correctly named Sakurai-Kohno, because Masaki Sakurai is now the builder resp. leader of the workshop after Masaru Kohno passed away in 1998.

Unfortunately can‘t comment on the Lopez guitar but read what James‘ comment in your other thread which sounds very, very interesting!

At the end it’s all a matter of your personal taste. So take time and keep trying theses guitars until you are really convinced that this is really the one you like and want irrespective of brand or maker.

One thing you should take care of is that they restring the guitars with the same Nylon string brand, preferably even the often criticized EJ45. This should make it easier to hear the real potential of the guitars. Avoid Carbon strings! Not in general but just for testing. Particularly the Pro-J will have almost infinit sustain with Carbon strings which might influence your decision knowing you’re coming from an e-guitar background. :wink:

Good Luck! :D
Thanks for the info, will be trying again today. I have noticed the Lopez is marked guitarra de estudio so may be a ‘lesser’ model for want of a better description! It’s always interesting when you go back to try guitars, even electrics, how different things can be.
Cheers
2014 miles henderson smith

Lars Frandsen

Post by Lars Frandsen » Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Another Kohno/Sakurai fan, from NYC. Please accept me as a member of the fan club and kindly keep me updated on news regarding these guitars
Thank you!
Lars

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue May 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Lars Frandsen wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm
Another Kohno/Sakurai fan, from NYC. Please accept me as a member of the fan club and kindly keep me updated on news regarding these guitars
Thank you!
Lars
Most welcome. What guitar do you have?

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
1973 - Masaru Matano Classe 600
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Lars Frandsen

Post by Lars Frandsen » Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 am

Over the years: 1981 number 30, 1991 Professional J, currently Sakurai number 8

mlau

Post by mlau » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:38 pm

I might be joining you guys.

I just bought a beat up 1976 Sakurai No 5 off e - b a y.
I'd debated between building myself a classical guitar vs just buying one.

After much deliberation, I decided that I can't build a guitar for the cost of the Sakurai.
Also, I've heard he's a pretty skilled luthier. ;)

Return to “Luthiers”