Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by rinneby » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 pm

mlau wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:38 pm
I might be joining you guys.

I just bought a beat up 1976 Sakurai No 5 off e - b a y.
I'd debated between building myself a classical guitar vs just buying one.

After much deliberation, I decided that I can't build a guitar for the cost of the Sakurai.
Also, I've heard he's a pretty skilled luthier. ;)
Congrats! How beat up is it? Price?
Last edited by rinneby on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Juan Miguel Carmona
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

mlau

Post by mlau » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:00 am

$701 canadian + shipping = ~$730 usd
It's got some fret wear and a patch where the guy wore through the finish on the right side.

The main thing that I was looking for-- no cracks on top/back/sides; straight neck. Bridge is solid. Minimal work needed.
I mainly want to have a good classical to play and practice with...haven't had a classical guitar for about a year.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:53 pm

NIce little buy that.
Good luck with the guitar.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

mlau

Post by mlau » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 am

Got it in the mail today. Unboxed it after burning through an inch of paperwork and pouring up an implant case for shipment. I felt like a flayed drafthorse overworked.

It felt so damn satisfying to play. I waited out in front of my lab technician's house, and I could almost swear the scent of cinnamon and jasmine lifted my spirits.

While it's not as powerful, dynamic, or "perfect" as my dad's Randy Angella.... it's so comfortable and a complete guitar that I wouldn't mind if this were my only guitar.

I can easily see myself keeping this for life.

It will need a bone saddle and better tuners. Feels like this guitar was left unstrung for years, and the seller slapped in cheap tuners, cheap strings, and a preshaped plastic saddle for a quick e - b a y sale.

I emailed M Sakurai to thank him for building this guitar, and ask his suggestion for a great tuner replacement. As for strings, I may follow his suggestion of Augustine's.

Want pictures?

Kent

Post by Kent » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:26 pm

mlau wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 am

Want pictures?
What do you think? 8)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Yessss! Haha
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

APK

Post by APK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I've often heard about the high humidity conditions in Japan raising concerns about the well-being of Japanese guitars in North America. But in a recent communication with Masaki Sakurai I was informed that he keeps his workshop at a temperature of 26 degrees Celsius (78.8 degrees Fahrenheit) and 42% humidity. I thought that the Sakurai-Kohno fans across the globe might be interested to know this. But I wonder: if the 42% is relative humidity, does that mean that the level is still quite high?

A

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 pm

APK wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:39 pm
Hi everyone,

I've often heard about the high humidity conditions in Japan raising concerns about the well-being of Japanese guitars in North America. But in a recent communication with Masaki Sakurai I was informed that he keeps his workshop at a temperature of 26 degrees Celsius (78.8 degrees Fahrenheit) and 42% humidity. I thought that the Sakurai-Kohno fans across the globe might be interested to know this. But I wonder: if the 42% is relative humidity, does that mean that the level is still quite high?

A
In all honesty, Kohno and Sakurai guitars take dry climate very well. And they are also very consistent. Much due to internal construction as well as the double reenforced neck. Most luthiers keep a humidity between 40-45% I think?

All the best from Sweden
/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

APK

Post by APK » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks, Jon. I'm truly grateful for your feedback.

I also recently posted the following comments, from an article entitled "Humidity & Your Guitar’s Health."

"The humidity level in a guitar workshop or factory is extremely important.... In my workshop, humidity is kept within a range of 45% ±2% when assembling bodies and ±3% at other times during construction of instruments. I have found after many years of experience that these ranges assure that a guitar will perform optimally and keep its structural integrity under the widest possible range of humidity conditions.... Fortunately, a guitarist need not be as scrupulous as a luthier about humidity management in one’s studio in order to adequately protect a valuable guitar. The guitar will likely stay healthy if humidity is kept within a range of 30%-70%, provided it was made in an environment where the humidity was between 40%-50%."

Unhappily, no one responded to my question of whether the final two sentences (starting with "Fortunately, a guitarist...") can be true. I would be interested to learn what the Kohno fan club thinks.

As always,
A

mlau

Post by mlau » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 pm

I forgot about this thread. I'll need to take some pictures.

Robert Garcia stopped by my place last week to check out the Sakurai and the Angella.
The Angella (Spruce, 7 fan, Braz RW) was better, louder, more articulate, beautifully clear, with more presence.
However, the Sakurai was almost as powerful, very expressive, notes a bit "bloomy", but definitely a great guitar...surprisingly loud.

His verdict is that the Sakurai is a keeper-- a truly great guitar that one won't worry about getting damaged.

Did I mention that the Sakurai has a crappy set of ol-cheapo strings, a rushed setup, and a premade plastic saddle?
With some Augustine Imperials and a bone nut, I think it'll be much better.

mlau

Post by mlau » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:03 pm

APK wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:39 pm
Hi everyone,

A
Nope. It's a pretty good in-between.

FWIW, I live on an island where humidity is 42-50 year round.
My understanding is that most builders ideal humidity is 40-50 humidity.
The SF Bay Area is surprisingly ideal for luthiers because of our natural humidity levels and temperature.

Too humid, and guitars risk cracking in dry areas (need to be eased in).
Too dry, and guitars have other issues in wet areas.

mlau

Post by mlau » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:04 pm

APK

Post by APK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks, miau, for the comments and the website.

A

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Model: Masaru Kohno No.20
Date of production: 1981
Date of aquisition: 2018
Scale: 660/52 mm
Top: Solid Spruce
Back/Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
Strings: La Bella 2001 - Medium Hard Tension (Lighter tension than Daddario EJ45)

Remarks: Feels much better under the fingers than most Kohno's from the 70s that I've played, probably due to the neck shape. But also thanks to the thin top, at least my luthier told me so. The sound is really sweet, yet clear and easy on the ears. Excellent sustain and separation. Action is great with much room left on the saddle.

I think 1981 was the last the year of the numbering system? Before the Concert, Professional, Special and Maestro line.

1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

mlau

Post by mlau » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Here's my pics:

The Sakurai is one of the most incredibly comfortable guitars I have played despite the 660 mm scale.
IMG_20180714_150254.jpg
IMG_20180714_150301.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Luthiers”