My 1974 S.Yairi 950 is retiring or born Again.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
HNLim

My 1974 S.Yairi 950 is retiring or born Again.

Post by HNLim » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:28 pm

I have not been playing all my other guitars since I bought over My 1978 Yamaha GC30A some months ago.

Recently I took out my 1974 S.Yairi 950 to play and I noticed that the powerful bass have disappeared and has become very boomy. The volume is still very loud but it sounds more like a bass drum when you play the bass. I brought it to my good luthier friend for a checked and found out that 2 of the braces near to the sound hole have come loose. Being a handyman myself, I managed to glue back the loose brace. The sound has improved but not to its former glory. I believe some other braces might have also come loose. I am not able to reach the other braces through the sound hole. I think it is time to retire this guitar and give it a new lease of life. The back and sides are solid top straight-grain Jacaranda.

With the help of 2 of my luthier friends, I have decided to remove the fingerboard and top and give it a new lease of life by replacing the spruce top.

Recently I bought a set of Carpathian spruce that is very light, very stiff and extremely resonance and has very good sustain.

Any advice?
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Fling13

Re: My 1974 S.Yairi 950 is retiring or born Again.

Post by Fling13 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:15 pm

No advice here, but please keep us up updated, :).

Jim Thompson

Post by Jim Thompson » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Before you tear into it, consider that the guitar just might need time to "wake up?"

I know in the violin world folks are advised that a fiddle will 'go to sleep' during long term storage needs to be played vigorously for a while before it 'opens up' and reaches its full potential. This applies to new instruments as well. Here's a NY Times article about an electronic device that does that for you. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/techn ... .html?_r=0. There are even commercial services that will do this for you. Google on 'breaking in a new violin'.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:06 pm

My advice is to leave the Yairi alone. There's no need to replace the top.
Historicalguitars.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Michael.N. wrote:My advice is to leave the Yairi alone. There's no need to replace the top.
Based on prior events, I predict that Mr. Lim will do what he wants to do.

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Indeed, if he'll chisel off and replace the marquetry on a new Hippner, I think he'll have the gusto to hack a 40 year old Yairi. You go, Mr. Lim!

PS. Pics or it didn't happen.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:18 pm

HNLim wrote:Any advice?
Yes: don't do it.

40 year old guitars deserve the respect due them for their age. Re-topping a guitar is virtually the same as replacing a person's brain, you have a completely different instrument when you are done. Retopping should only be done when there is catastrophic structural damage. Even then it can be fixed. See stories online about Pepe Romero's 1974 Miguel Rodriguez and how it was salvaged despite having the top crushed and splintered.

A colleague of mine owned a 1982 Ramirez Centenario model. During a heated argument, his (now ex-) wife smashed the guitar on a marble countertop*, caving in the entire bridge area. A luthier was able to salvage the rosette and purflings, and put on a new cedar top. Cosmetically it was flawless, but in terms of sound? It clearly was NOT anywhere near the same caliber of instrument. He sold it later on, at a hugely discounted price.

*which I suppose was a better option than on my friend's skull.....
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Jim Thompson

Post by Jim Thompson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:10 am

David_Norton wrote:
See stories online about Pepe Romero's 1974 Miguel Rodriguez and how it was salvaged despite having the top crushed and splintered.
I can't find a reference sir about the Rodriguez, perhaps you have a link to share? I'm interested because I recall a story from my teacher, around that time frame, about the brothers coming home from a trip to Spain, with several new guitars. One of them was playing while waiting on the tarmac for the plane. Soon the guitar went into the case but it was never latched, thinking someone would take it out again. All that forgotten, when the time came to go, the unlatched case was picked up and it opened up and the guitar went flying only to crash and smash. Just gotta wonder if this story's related?

And there is a moral to this story -- latch your case! I've seen it happen ...

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:33 am

From the website of Yuris Zeltins's shop, The Blue Guitar:

Over the years, Yuris has been entrusted with the restoration of many guitars of historical significance from Torres to Hauser. Most notably, Yuris was able to rescue from utter destruction the famous Miguel Rodriguez guitar, “La Wonderful,” beloved stalwart concert instrument of Pepe Romero.

Yuris Zeltins maintains his workshop and continues his work on Spanish classical and flamenco guitars at the Blue Guitar, San Diego, which he founded in 1961.

And from Delcamp, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78615&start=30

Pepe Romero has for many years played a 1973 Miguel Rodriguez guitar he calls "La Wonderful". It's his primary recording guitar, and it really is a wonderful guitar for the sound Romero wants to produce. An airline turned it into what was essentially scrap wood. Yuris Zeltins rebuilt it from those scraps. Romero stated that it sounded better after Zeltins rebuilt it than it did before.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

nijikon5

Post by nijikon5 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:20 am

Jim Thompson wrote:
David_Norton wrote:
See stories online about Pepe Romero's 1974 Miguel Rodriguez and how it was salvaged despite having the top crushed and splintered.
I can't find a reference sir about the Rodriguez, perhaps you have a link to share? I'm interested because I recall a story from my teacher, around that time frame, about the brothers coming home from a trip to Spain, with several new guitars. One of them was playing while waiting on the tarmac for the plane. Soon the guitar went into the case but it was never latched, thinking someone would take it out again. All that forgotten, when the time came to go, the unlatched case was picked up and it opened up and the guitar went flying only to crash and smash. Just gotta wonder if this story's related?

And there is a moral to this story -- latch your case! I've seen it happen ...
Hi Jim,

Here is a YouTube Video of Pepe Jr. talking about the guitar Mr. Norton is talking about. The story starts around 1:12.

[media]https://youtu.be/zEAQ-_Isk6k[/media]

Jim Thompson

Post by Jim Thompson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:27 am

Thanks for that link. Yes, different story and wonderful video!

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:53 pm

bacsidoan wrote: Based on prior events, I predict that Mr. Lim will do what he wants to do.
I think so too.
You just know that the tools are out and the fingers are itching to start.

FWIW: I have a similar guitar a Yamaha CG20A Cedar /Jacaranda from 1979 which goes to sleep if it isn't played for a week or so and takes a bit of playing to waken up again.
Maybe it's one of their foibles.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Life is too short not to enjoy yourself. Since I love woodworking and also guitar making, I have relented and proceeded to remove the fingerboard. The removal of the fingerboard has also revealed a "secret" that S.Yairi had hidden from the world. The Spanish foot is fake.

I must admit that my disappointment has turned into jubilation and my mind begins to run wild. Now not only the top has to go but also the neck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:51 pm

That Back has got 4 Bars, it should have 3. Probably best to get rid of the Back as well.
Historicalguitars.

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Michael.N. wrote:That Back has got 4 Bars, it should have 3. Probably best to get rid of the Back as well.
:lol: Thanks, you just made my day.

Return to “Luthiers”