which is the most expensive CG

Post by freebooter » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:14 pm

I mean the working models not antiques

Fingernail

Post by Fingernail » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:04 am

God knows, Smallman probably.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:24 pm

I agree... but keep an eye out for Ruck too.

Marie-Claire

Post by Marie-Claire » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:42 pm

My guess is Smallman

Marie-Claire

anathem

Post by anathem » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:33 am

Marie-Claire wrote:My guess is Smallman

Marie-Claire
how much aproximately?

CoolTouch

Post by CoolTouch » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:58 am

Smallman? Why? What are Smallmans going for these days? I still don't get all the excitement over lattice bracing.

I played a =new= Bernabe 10-string at the First Annual 10-String Guitar Festival in July. Amongst a field of top-notch instruments, including an earlier Bernabe, it was, by consensus, clearly the loudest and most sonorous of the lot. Price? A mere $15k US. I'd want to see a Smallman up close and next to this Bernabe before I'd pay any more for the Smallman -- hehe, like I could afford to :)

BTW, the guitar that came in a close second (also by consensus) at the Festival was a Greg Byers 7-string. What a magnificent sounding guitar!

Best,

Michael

Marie-Claire

Post by Marie-Claire » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:23 am

Hello,

A Smallman costs about 25000 $.
Marie-Claire

sa1nt_dave

Post by sa1nt_dave » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:29 am

Is smallman australian? :D

tomc

Post by tomc » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:18 am

Yes.

kfisherx

Post by kfisherx » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:00 am

Jeffrey Elliott's latest guitar just sold (Guitar International) for 20K. I was the 2nd person to ever play that guitar. It was amazingly smooth and silky. I am guessing that the new owner is very happy with his purchase even if he is making payments on it. ;)

cedar

Re: which is the most expensive CG

Post by cedar » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:49 pm

freebooter wrote:I mean the working models not antiques

Daniel Friederich, Hermann Hauser III and Ignacio Fleta can go for anything between $20,000 and $45,000

cheers.....
Last edited by cedar on Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rayner

Post by Rayner » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:26 am

Yes, i think smallman would be a fierce contender!! :D

hav

Post by hav » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:50 am

the one that you buy but never play :grire:

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:50 am

I seem to recall that a Hauser once owned by Segovia went for over $60K a few years ago.

Unless you are John Williams or some true rising star who needs and can afford it, I simply cannot imagine spending over $10K on a guitar.

I spent $2200 on a used guitar when that luthier's new ones were going for $4K.

Can I really even justify what I paid? I'm not a great player and never will be. Not being negative here, but I have carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis and arthritis.

I can tell you that I enjoy that guitar immensely. At the time I bought it, it was worth several times the car I was driving. We all have our priorities. :)

bones

Post by bones » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:22 pm

About a year ago I was trying out various guitars whilst purchasing my current weapon and I was lucky enough to play some really nice instruments one being a 1977 Hauser 11. It was over here to have some work done on the neck and I was told it was worth $40,000, I can't corroborate the price but it was the best guitar Ihave ever played and I owned a pretty special 1973 Ramirez 1A for twenty years. The playability was breathtaking and made using the left hand literally effortless. It was mellow sounding with lovely rich basses and silky trebles. A few months later whilst back at the place I had previously tried out the Hauser 11 I played a Hauser 111 from 1997 I believe. This was for sale at £8,000 (about $16,000) it was fine guitar certainly but wasn't nearly as good in anyway as the Hauser 11. Later I played a new Rouse guitar on sale for £3,000 that was an altogether better instrument in my opinion and was possibly one of the finest crafted guitars I have ever seen.
Last edited by bones on Sun May 21, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Luthiers”