Dowland, John - Tarleton's Resurrection - D06

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Wayne Klein

Dowland, John - Tarleton's Resurrection - D06

Post by Wayne Klein » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Here goes my second recording for the Delcamp forum.

Before, I was used to adding a lot of digital reverb which covered numerous defects. This no-post-processing rule (except for normalization) is forcing me to play a lot more carefully (which is good.)

The other posters of this piece seemed to play the "A" bass in the second half of the second bar instead of the "F#" in M. Delcamp's arrangement. I wonder if the "F#" is just a mis-print or an alternate interpretation based on a different manuscript or something. I didn't really bring that note out too well - maybe I was hedging my bets. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

altnaez

Post by altnaez » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Nice playing Wayne and the recording sounds really good too with lots of volume.
Thanks for sharing,
Albert

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:58 pm

Hello Wayne,

This is very nice indeed!

Thank you for making it available here, I have really enjoyed the opportunity to hear your performance. A lovely recording too!

Azalais, our greatest early music fan, will enjoy this as well.

Best wishes, V :bravo:

PS I have always wondered about this title, and you've inspired me to look it up. This is what I found:
Richard Tarleton, a famous comic actor and teacher of Will Kemp, would be referred to today as a ‘song and dance man’. He was probably the person Shakespeare had in mind as Yorick in the gravedigger’s scene (Hamlet, V. 1). John Dowland (1563-1625), the great English lutenist/composer, has immortalized him further with Tarleton’s Resurrection.
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Wayne Klein

Post by Wayne Klein » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:35 pm

Thanks both Vesuvio and altnaez. I wasn't too confident of hitting the submit button but now I'm glad I did.

I had read in one of the posts here that Tarleton was a comedian but
these details are new to me. Thanks, V, for adding them here.

romulomadureira

Re: Dowland, John - Tarleton's Resurrection - D06

Post by romulomadureira » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Dowland is a very good composer. All of his songs are so beautifull.

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”