Dowland, John - The Frog Galliard - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Erik Zurcher

Re: Dowland, John - The Frog Galliard

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Luthval wrote:
Barred wrote:This is the best interpretation I have heard so far of this piece. Thank you :D
Perhaps too much rubato ? (in my opinion...)
V.
I think that I know what you mean, Luthval. This is the first time I have heard Dowland's music played like a love song. It is absolutely a romantic way to play early music. Too romantic for you perhaps, but I love Matthew's rendition. I wonder what Dowland would have thought of it...?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

drgoretex

Post by drgoretex » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:36 am

I just found this, and wow. I have always marvelled that the really skilled musicians (such as youself) can make me feel as though whatever piece I happen to be hearing is the best piece of music I have heard. I enjoyed that so much! :merci:

Ken

avoz

Post by avoz » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Good to hear the 'long' version played lovingly as a fine piece of music, as opposed to a study in velocity.

tocapuro

Post by tocapuro » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:48 am

avoz wrote:Good to hear the 'long' version played lovingly as a fine piece of music, as opposed to a study in velocity.
I couldn't agree more with Avoz-lovingly played with beautiful phrasing and incredible tone and articulation.
I really enjoy your playing. Let me know if you ever come to the U.S.
Dennis

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:43 pm

tocapuro wrote:
avoz wrote:Good to hear the 'long' version played lovingly as a fine piece of music, as opposed to a study in velocity.
I couldn't agree more with Avoz-lovingly played with beautiful phrasing and incredible tone and articulation.
I really enjoy your playing. Let me know if you ever come to the U.S.
Dennis
Back in the US in March 2012!

gregwillow

Re: Dowland, John - The Frog Galliard - Video

Post by gregwillow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 am

Nice,good job :bravo:
greetings Greg

stonearc

Post by stonearc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Absolutely beautiful. I am currently working in this piece and this is certainly a very moving inspiration.
Thank you for sharing this performance.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Beautiful Matthew! I think you might just have succeeded in unseating my favorite lute player as the best rendition (IMO) of a favorite Dowland piece.

For those interested in how it might sound on the original instrument check out David Tayler playing on his Archlute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgrmEh3rjs
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Reinhard14

Post by Reinhard14 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:55 am

Thank you so much, this is a very heartfelt and loving performance...!

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Scot Tremblay wrote:Beautiful Matthew! I think you might just have succeeded in unseating my favorite lute player as the best rendition (IMO) of a favorite Dowland piece.

For those interested in how it might sound on the original instrument check out David Tayler playing on his Archlute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgrmEh3rjs
Perhaps the best is to hear it on a renaissance lute, with double strings, then you'll have (perhaps) an idea... But on a single strung archlute, it is not "HIP" at all lol !
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:35 pm

You may be right Valery, it's not HIP...sorry, but I get bewitched by David Taylers' fluidity and relaxed approach to the lute. It's so effortless that I forget all about which instrument he is playing (single strings and all) and just listen to the sound.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:11 am

Scot Tremblay wrote:You may be right Valery, it's not HIP...sorry, but I get bewitched by David Taylers' fluidity and relaxed approach to the lute. It's so effortless that I forget all about which instrument he is playing (single strings and all) and just listen to the sound.
Yes very nice version ! (like all he's doing) but I just comment on "how it might sound"... 8) (and it is much more easier on single than double... believe me...)
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Steinkugler

Post by Steinkugler » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Phantastical :merci: :bravo:

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Thank you Steinkugler!

petr

Post by petr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:49 am

Beautiful. Very nice interpretation, I enjoy it very much. Thank you for sharing.
Petr

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”