Dowland, John - Lachrimae Pavan

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
lucy

Dowland, John - Lachrimae Pavan

Post by lucy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:18 pm

Hello Everyone

This is my take on this piece. The music is very sad and I get most out of playing it at this slowish tempo.

As always, any constructive criticism/feedback would be appreciated - I'd love to improve my playing further.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

pogmoor

Re: Dowland, John - Lachrimae Pavan

Post by pogmoor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:38 pm

That's lovely - I enjoyed listening to it. I really love this piece and you've got it together really well :)
It does need to go slowly, but it could afford to speed up a little bit. For a lot of the piece you get the languorous, drifting mood of a pavan just right - occasionally some of your chords are a bit too heavy and some of those you roll could be played straight and a bit lighter - but well done :!:

I like to play lute music on the guitar and I find I gain a great deal when I am learning a piece from finding two or three lute recordings and listening to what a good lutenist does with it.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Hello Lucy,

I enjoyed hearing you play it too, well done. :)

It would be interesting to hear a fresh recording after working on the advice up above,

Best wishes, V :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm

:bravo: Just love it.
Thank you so much.
:casque: nok

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:22 am

Very nice interpretation! I would probably agree with pogmoor's suggestions. Your phrasing is very elegant, and I think with a tiny bit more contrast in the volume and the force you use, it would be even more convincing (as a lute :wink: ). I personally like it at a nice slow pace...

:casque: :merci:

tocapuro

Post by tocapuro » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 am

Lucy,
I personally think this is your best recording. I don't think your tempo is too slow at all.
This is a very sad piece and you convey that well.
Good job. :merci:
Dennis

goni

Post by goni » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:24 pm

:bravo: Lucy! Well done!
You have beautiful tone!

On the constructive criticism...you have beautiful tone all around except for the 'plaque' chords (I don't know how to say this in English) when you pluck the chord notes all together instead of rolling it. You seem to be pulling the strings out and it sounds a little harsh sometimes...there is a video that Mr Delcamp put up a couple of days ago of Alice Artzt explaining the Presti technique. I found it very interesting and it might help to clarify what I am saying...

Congratulations again!! :bravo:

G

serl

Post by serl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Excellent! Great tone. I think the tempo is also well chosen. :bravo: My only suggestion (as a listener, because I can't even dream about playing it now - though I'd wanted to... :mrgreen: ) is that you could use a bit more contrast between voices, sometimes they are too "equally" loud.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:26 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your very kind comments and detailed feedback - I really appreciate this. :D
pogmoor wrote: occasionally some of your chords are a bit too heavy and some of those you roll could be played straight and a bit lighter
I quite agree with you on these points. I think I was trying to be expressive and the chords just came out a bit too strong. I will experiment with not rolling some of the chords - rolling chords is a bit of a habit of mine. :mrgreen:

Goni made the same point about the harsh chords - I'll watch the Alice Artzt videos - thanks for telling me about them.
Azalais wrote: I think with a tiny bit more contrast in the volume and the force you use, it would be even more convincing (as a lute :wink: ).
I agree that I could vary the volume more - this is something I need to work on with all the pieces I play. I think this piece in particular would benefit from more quiet moments.
lazy_s wrote: My only suggestion (as a listener, because I can't even dream about playing it now - though I'd wanted to... :mrgreen: ) is that you could use a bit more contrast between voices, sometimes they are too "equally" loud.

Many thanks for suggesting this lazy_s. This is also something I should work on - especially when playing early music.

As for the tempo, I have played it very slightly faster before - but I now enjoy playing it at this tempo. I know playing it faster can lighten the mood a bit (and I very much enjoyed Luthval's faster version) so I'll think about it. :bye:
Robert Louis Stevenson

Dom95

Post by Dom95 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:00 pm

:bravo:

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 pm

:bravo: Wonderfully mood-evoking and expressive playing

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks so much for listening and the positive feedback Dom95 and Tonyyyyy. :D

I'm actually still working on this piece (I know - a whole year has elapsed :| ), but I have incorporated a lot of the suggestions people made into the new version.
Robert Louis Stevenson

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”