Dowland, John - Frog Galliard - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
andi33x

Dowland, John - Frog Galliard - Video

Post by andi33x » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi,
thanks to hphooper who did a great job I found the score of the Frog Galliard in the forum.

I love that piece and have recorded the arrangement as good as I can but without Capo (i.e. in E major).

Hope you enjoy it and pardon my flaws.

Best wishes
Andreas
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

gregwillow

Re: John Dowland: Frog Galliard

Post by gregwillow » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Beautiful.
Your music transfered me for a while to the past. Thank You
Greetings Greg

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi Andreas,

It is a wonderful piece of music and I am pleased to have had the chance to hear your lovely interpretation,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Lovely, Andreas! Nice clear tone! :casque:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

sniggl

Post by sniggl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:51 pm

:casque: :bravo:
Nur weiter so! ( way to go!)

Grüße aus Reichenhall
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Really enjoyed that! Subscribed! :D

Noadman

Post by Noadman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 am

Thanks for sharing an inspiring performance Andreas. It's a great interpretation. I have been working at this piece also from a couple of different transcripts I've found on this forum, so now I'll have another one to look at as well. I think the key of E is very good for this and your guitar sounds really nice.
:bravo:
Heaven puts its price on all things.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:18 am

Great interpretation, Andreas!

:bravo:

Your guitar sounds HUGE! I know you've got some effects on there, but the balance between the basses and trebles is amazing! Forgive me if you've mentioned it before, but who made it?

I had to go to YouTube to watch it a second time, so I could make the picture bigger. It looked like you have a fret marker on the 2nd string, 16th fret. What's that all about? :lol:

Thanks for the lovely video!

Alan

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:49 am

Hi Alan, hi all
yes there is some reverb (the same as in all my videos) and a weak noise reduction. Without the noise reduction the sound is the same but there is a permanent high tone (like in the Lawes Suite). The reverb is nothing special. It is necessary since without it the sound is not good due to the cheap equipment I have.

But in my ears the tone here is different compared e.g. with the Lawes suite. But I don't know why. I think this is the muggy weather which influences the guitar (can that be???) since the strings are the same type and 1-2 weeks old. Maybe also there is a change in the equipment drivers I did not realize. I have to check that after my holidays.

The fret marker: Yes this is a piece of paper I attached there in the 80th when I bought the guitar. It is from Rafael Moreno Rodriguez (Granada) and has no fret markers at all and I attached them all with paper. At that time I had orientation difficulties at the highest frets while practising a certain piece. :?

By the way, I did not play often with this guitar in the first 20 years I had it. I don't know if it is now "leveled" correctly or if it is possible at all to bring it to "full tone" after that long time.

I am in holidays the next 2 weeks, maybe without internet access. So please don't worry when I answer late...

Best wishes and thanks for all!
Andreas
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:45 am

Thank you for this video Andreas! I enjoyed your playing and am always happy when I see a video that shows someone's hands so clearly. (This video provides excellent visual examples of many of the technical details that are so hard to explain in words.... about hand position, techniques, etc.) You also look very relaxed! :wink:

wazow

Post by wazow » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Splendid! :bravo: :merci: and I am off to YT to see it again :)

hphooper

Post by hphooper » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Andreas,

Your playing of Frog Galliard is excellent! I also play it without the capo sometimes because the long open strings of E major but the capo at the third fret may capture the tessitura of the Dowland lute.

--HH

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”