Dowland, John - Flow, my Tears - Duo

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Sanft

Dowland, John - Flow, my Tears - Duo

Post by Sanft » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:40 am

Well, everybody knows THIS one! Unfortunately it's also a very quiet recording. So pump it up if possible! I'll try to do better next time. There's a wrong note in the accompinament in the second part of the song; it was a misprint in my tab and later rectified. Here it's still wrong. Well ...
We made some more and, I think, more interesting recordings of John Duarte, Benjamin Britten and William Walton; but I fear they're not in the public domain yet!
Clemens … el niño que soñó la musica :fume:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sanft on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:05 pm

Renaissance music with guitar and voice is very soothing. I think this is my favorite, so far.

Glen

Pladderkasse

Post by Pladderkasse » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:29 am

Dowlands just fantastic.

Thanks for the music.

john w

Post by john w » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:39 am

Thanks for the ear candy. Very cool.

Trent Murcott

Post by Trent Murcott » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:50 pm

Excellent work :bravo:

Gitar-TURK

Post by Gitar-TURK » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:01 pm

wow its a very good musicality is nice and your tones is also excellent congratulations !

ice

Post by ice » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:15 am

Love hearing the Dowland. Thanks :D

steve4ri

Post by steve4ri » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Beautiful! Yesterday, I found several old LPs of Julian Bream in a used book store. One is titled "Elizabethan Lute Songs" with Bream as lutenist and Peter Pears as tenor. Last night I listened to this wonderful album. This morning I awoke and listen to your work. May I say that I found your recording every bit as enjoyable.

Steve

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:58 pm

Thank you very much! And I don't think I reveal a great secret when I tell you that the two albums Bream and Pears did together where the one and only reason for me to start my collaboration with singers. Do you happen to know the second album with songs by Britten, Walton etc?

cyberninja

Fantasic!

Post by cyberninja » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:08 pm

The performance reminds me of Julian Bream.
For 7-stringed Matthias Dammann, is the 7th string configured as "D"?

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:58 pm

Hi Clemens!
Great interpretation of great music. If you allow me to ask: who is that man with the golden throat? Lauritz Melchior himself? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mark

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:08 am

High Mark!
Well, the tenor, and he is really good, is Ralph Nickles.
Here's his homepage:
http://www.ralphnickles.de/auftritte.html
@ cyberninja:
It reminds you of Bream? Great! And of course no coincidence! Bream is my one and only lead, my ideal when it comes to chamber music with voice. The seventh string btw normaly is tuned to D, but with the Elizabethans in general I tune it to B. Dowland used a seven course lute for all his songs. So I tune the 3rd string to f#, 7th to B, capo 2nd, 3rd or 4th fret (depends on the singer) and I play directly from the tab.

Alexmrv

Post by Alexmrv » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:06 am

Well done!
cheers

Alex

tomc

Post by tomc » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:52 am

Frankly it might be sacrilege to some but I never thought Peter Pears well-suited to this music. He was annoyingly operatic. You two, Nickels and Clemens give nothing away to the more famous pair. Bravo gentlemen!

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:46 am

Thanks a lot, folks! Your reactions are really encouraging for Ralph, Sigrun and me. It’s always a problem listening to your own recordings. A critical appraisal is necessary and useful and for that I am really glad to have the possibilities of the forum!
Clemens … el niño que soñó la musica:fume:

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”