Dowland, John - A Fantasie no.7 - D09

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
richard_joh

Dowland, John - A Fantasie no.7 - D09

Post by richard_joh » Sat May 01, 2010 11:08 pm

This is my first MP3 posting. Whenever I turn on the mic, I can play 70% of what I practiced.

Recorded with Adudio Technica AT2020 USB mic. I cannot find the right equalization for bass, so bass is kind of weak.

Best,
Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by richard_joh on Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Ramirez SP (German Spruce / Indian Rosewood)
2011 Richard Joh (Redwood / Zebrawood)

lucy

Re: Dowland, John - A Fantasie no.7 -D09

Post by lucy » Sun May 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi Richard

A really good effort at this piece. It is a very difficult one! :mrgreen:

If you're interested in feedback, I would say that although your playing is mostly quite fluent, your tempo varies too much. I do realize that it is very difficult to keep the tempo consistent with this piece, as there are many phrases that go over the bar lines and so on, but I think you should practise it more slowly to get the tempo consistent. You could also eliminate those buzzes by practising more slowly, but I do appreciate that these may be due to tension in the hand as a result of nervousness. Finally, sorry to mention this, but you do seem to be playing a few wrong notes. Can I ask whether you're playing it in F sharp tuning? Perhaps you're not putting your fingers on the correct frets some of the time?

Very sorry to have been a bit critical - I do hope you're not offended - I'm only trying to help. This piece is one of my favourites and I've spent a long time learning it myself - so know some of the pitfalls. :oops:

Please keep posting - you're obviously a capable player. :merci:
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

KeMe

Re: Dowland, John - A Fantasie no.7 - D09

Post by KeMe » Mon May 03, 2010 1:38 am

Good going Richard,
It sounds like you are starting to get this piece under your fingers.
Lucy has given you some good advice. I would love for you to continue to work on this piece, smooth it out and record if for us again. You are so close to "getting it there".
Thank you so much for giving us this opportunity to hear you play and I am looking forward to hearing you update this after you have perfected it more.
:merci:

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

richard_joh

Re: Dowland, John - A Fantasie no.7 - D09

Post by richard_joh » Mon May 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks for your inputs. I used F# tuning with Delcamp's score, and most of wrong notes should be byproducts of nervousness.

This is a test for my newly bought microphone. I am still learning this piece and cannot play this as enjoyably as Lachrimae Pavan or Earl of Darby Galliard. I have all the notes in my head, but my fingers are still learning correct movements. This is a great practice piece, and I always get thrilled to play the last page.

Hopefully I will post a new version later, but with many projects and papers to write it won't be quite soon.

Thanks,
Richard
2007 Ramirez SP (German Spruce / Indian Rosewood)
2011 Richard Joh (Redwood / Zebrawood)

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”