Dowland, John - Lady Laiton's Almain

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
sgraham924

Dowland, John - Lady Laiton's Almain

Post by sgraham924 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:43 am

A recording I did today of the harder version of Lady Laiton's Almain. I mess a few little things up, but overall it went pretty well. Tell me what you think. Also, I couldn't find my capo, so
it's not in the right key, bah.

EDIT: btw, I've only been working on this piece for 2 days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SteveM

Re: Dowland, John - Lady Laiton's Almain

Post by SteveM » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Well played. Ive never heard that version before.
You seem to play the fast division passages more fluently than the slower chordal ones, but for 2 days work it sounds great. It would be good to hear the slower chords playing at the same time as the divisions. Maybe you could double track yourself playing a duet.
Let's hear more,
Steve

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:39 am

:bravo:
Great performance, sgraham.
:shock: Wow, 2 days! I want your used guitar strings, they know how to play fast.
Thank you for playing this fun little piece for us.
:merci:

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Julio

Post by Julio » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:51 am

i have always liked this piece ever since i sight read it in some renaissance book about eleven years ago. nice work as always graham! yes, it may have been indeed better with a capo! record it again! lol...you are very confident and it shows. there is no way id record a piece after just 2 days WOW!

alas, i have not seen that renaissance book in a while. it may have even been a collegue of mine. where did you get this piece? its really a good selection of a piece from the renaissance! is this piece in one of the delcamp level D's?

sgraham924

Post by sgraham924 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I gave myself a challenge to see how fast I could get a piece ready for a recording, and I guess for a piece this length, it's 2 days. It wasn't easy by the way, It took a lot of effort. I just picked this out my book "Twenty Lute Pieces by Dowland" edited by David Underwood, copyright Southern Music Company. The Delcamp one is the easier, no divisions version which clocks in at D05. This version I'd put around D07/08 probably because of the crazy scales.

Julio

Post by Julio » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:45 pm

i like your version better, one that would rate at D07/D08, than a D05 version! i enjoy a crazy slide every now and then.

sgraham924

Post by sgraham924 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:00 pm

Yeah, I like my version better too. If I get a chance to show off virtuosity, i take it =D

EDIT: Julio, if you really want my old strings. That can be arranged. PM me your address :wink:

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”