Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Bertran

Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06

Post by Bertran » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:25 pm

When I start to learn a guitar I don't love pieces from old masters. Than (and even now) I rather prefer latin, spanish and classical music.
But, as time goes bye, I have found that old masters are very interesting, pieces are not easy to play at all.

This Dowland's piece is one of the most harder piece (for me, and after Mudarra's Romanesca) from D01 to D06 (recently I am not finish D06 yet).

But, you pay a ticket for this topic. If you came from UK you have a duty to say "some"-thing :)
I mean,... everybody, without abstention, can say "whatever"-thing...

Bertran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

George Crocket

Re: Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Bertran wrote:When I start to learn a guitar I don't love pieces from old masters. Than (and even now) I rather prefer latin, spanish and classical music.
But, as time goes bye, I have found that old masters are very interesting, pieces are not easy to play at all.
I have found this too. :)

But, you pay a ticket for this topic. If you came from UK you have a duty to say "some"-thing :)
I mean,... everybody, without abstention, can say "whatever"-thing...
I am not sure what you mean.

Anyway, this is a charming piece and I enjoyed your playing and your sound. Even if you found it difficult, you performed well.

Many thanks for posting it.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Thank you George for your comments.
I am not sure what you mean.
It is just a joke. Sorry 'cause it sound confusing.

Now I must explain, I really mean this: I live in Croatia, I was born in Zadar, sea town, it is Mediteran,...maybe it is a reason why I maybe prefer latin music. I feel that I am genetically closer to that kind of music. I hope that you understand me.

I always feel little uncertain when I play a music that I don't understand naturally. I think that all of you who live at UK feel Dowland much better than I do. By heart, by culture etc.

So, this is a a beautiful Dowland's piece and when I say that everybody from UK "must" say something it is just a joke that means:
"please, give me advice, criticize me,..."
Anyway, this is a charming piece and I enjoyed your playing and your sound. Even if you found it difficult, you performed well.
Many thanks for posting it.
...and I am glad that you enjoy, thank you. :)

Bertran

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Hey Bertran.

Thanks for explaining.

Although I am from the UK I like Mediterranean food, music, sunshine...

As far as classical guitar music is concerned, my preferences are similar to yours - Spanish, latin etc. But I still listen to the early music, and I do appreciate it when it is well played. :casque:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Very nice. Well played. If you really want criticism I would say that the tempo is a little uneven and it speeds up as the piece progresses - however this does build the energy and excitement the piece builds towards the end.
All the best,
Steve

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Well done, Bertran! You play with great conviction, but may I suggest to use a metronome? I agree with SteveM that the rhythm is sometimes uneven. You are so close to perfection, why not go all the way? Just study the piece a bit slower, keep the pulse and then it becomes easier to play at full speed. :bravo: :merci: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Thank you Steve.

You have right! I also realize that I have a problem with unique speed between first and second (repetitive) part, specially when going to the end, to the last measures. Rhythm of this music just involved me and I start to hurry. Needlessly.
Now I have a little dilemma: is it better to play slower second part or play first part faster? :?

Anyway, I must think of it more often in the future.

Thank you for your suggestion, I am a self-learner, this kind of advice helps me a lot! :)

Bertran

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Erik,

After I send a post to Steve, I have read your post.
As much as you can see, I am totally agree with Steve. In advance, it means also with you. :)

Metronom... OK, ....why not!

Thank you, Erik, I keep going with practice! :chitarrista:

Bertran

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Using a metronome is very useful to keep the pulse of this dance. If you feel the pulse (heartbeat) during the whole piece, you can switch the metronome off.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi Bertran,
I'm glad my criticism did not upset you.
I would set the speed somewhere between the tempo of the first few bars and your final tempo. In other words I think you start off too slow but finish too fast. You obviously have a good technique as you manage to play the fast runs accurately but you tend to speed up on the harder parts (probably something to do with anticipation & adrenalin) which is a common problem. Try to relax more, feel the pulse and yes, use a metronome to start with,
Steve

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Steve,

Don't worry - you didn't upset me at all, you are well meaning and it is more important.
I really want that everybody told me what they hear, all of you are (almost) my only public and teachers.
With my previous uploads I always asking members to give me an open critic. Yes, it is nice to hear what I am doing good, I am very happy if someone like my playing,.... but if I really want to learn something I am very curious to hear what I am doing wrong. :aide:

Yes, my rhyhtm is not even, and today I have decide to practice with metronome. Yes, using it, it is more easier to exactly hear where and when I start to speed up. Metronome is a good tool, why are we sometime so lazy to use it?! :roll:

Thank you for your new advice about appropriate rhythm and your thinking. :merci:

And to be honest, with a posts like this I have a new motivation to continue with practice,... :)

Bertran

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 am

Glad you are practicing with new motivation. I'd be interested to hear how it sounds after you have practiced with the metronome. Keep us posted.
Steve

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:48 pm

OK, no problem, I will try, but it will be no soon.
First, I must release of bad rhythmic habits,.......

Bertran

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:18 am

:bravo:
I really enjoyed your performance of this Dowland favorite.
Thank you.
:merci:
Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:39 pm

...and thanks to you too, Kay.
But, I also must do my promises and upload new version after advices (for using metronome).
I must practice and :chitarrista: practice and,... uh.... :)

Thanks for your support, Bertran

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”