Dowland, John - A Fantasie - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Philip.Lawson

Dowland, John - A Fantasie - Video

Post by Philip.Lawson » Thu May 10, 2012 9:44 am

Hi everyone,

Here's my take on one of the most well known Dowland Fantasies- Fantasie no. 1.
I really enjoy this one. It's filled with fantastic motifs, and there's so much drama in it :)

Anyway, here's the video.
I hope you enjoy it, and as usual any feedback or constructive criticism is more than welcome. :D

Philip

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Re: Dowland, John - A Fantasie - Video

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 10, 2012 11:23 am

Well done!

Really enjoyed this Philip, great to see you making such good progress!

There is a nice level of cleanliness coming over in your playing these days and I am seeing and hearing how much more dependable your technique is proving. There is room to get more dynamic and tonal contrast in there I think, so as to highlight the drama!

See you soon at the CGR, it will be great to see and hear the feedback you will get from the variety of tutors on the course this year!

:bravo:
Last edited by Matthew McAllister on Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Thu May 10, 2012 11:24 am

:bravo:

Excellent playing, Philip.

Sorry, I have no criticisms, constructive or otherwise.

Thanks for posting it.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu May 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Lovely, Philip! You must have a good teacher. :wink:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Philip.Lawson

Post by Philip.Lawson » Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Matthew- thanks for the encouragement and feedback! You are of course correct, there's plenty left to do with dynamics, tonal contrast and possibly some tempo variation. I'm really looking forward to the CGR this year. I can't wait to hear the guitar and cello duo! Marcin Dylla might be ok as well I suppose............... :wink:

George- I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks for commenting :)

Erik- Glad you liked it! Yeah, my teacher's pretty good, even if he does talk funny :wink:
Seriously though, it's fantastic having a teacher like Matthew. I always leave after our marathon sessions feeling like I've climbed another rung on the ladder of accomplishment. It's a mixture of 'wow I learnt so much!' and 'wow I've so much to learn!'.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Philip.Lawson wrote: Seriously though, it's fantastic having a teacher like Matthew. I always leave after our marathon sessions feeling like I've climbed another rung on the ladder of accomplishment. It's a mixture of 'wow I learnt so much!' and 'wow I've so much to learn!'.
I know the feeling, Philip. Every time I come home from my lesson, I realize the same. Matthew and my teacher are alike. They both inspire me: attention to detail, firm but kind. Aren't we lucky to have such great tutors? I am so looking forward to the CGR and meeting you and Matthew again!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Philip.Lawson

Post by Philip.Lawson » Sat May 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Yep, we chose well! We should probably do this through PMs or open up a CGR thread :wink:
Are you working on anything in particular for the CGR?

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”