Weiss, S. L. - Prelude in d minor

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
kidneykutter

Weiss, S. L. - Prelude in d minor

Post by kidneykutter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:11 pm

A prelude in d minor from the London Manuscript by SL Weiss. Played on 13 course Baroque lute. An interesting prelude, the original has an "asterix" like mark just before the final cadence. On the bottom tablature line, Weiss then writes in additional material to insert but runs out of space (maybe he continued on another page that was lost). I have created a bridge from where he stopped back to the cadence using chord progressions seen earlier in the movement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eales

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Prelude in d minor

Post by eales » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:38 pm

That was really great playing KK, and I really like it, but on my computer it sounds like a metal strung instrument - a lute yes but not gut. Is it something to do with the acoustic ? The sound isn't too good on this computer actually - I'm not on the usual one and perhaps that's the reason.

[I hope that's what it is as I enjoyed that so much and don't want to have to complain - you do know we are restricted to nylon and gut strings only, here?]

you are a fine player. Wish I had a lute, but it's bad enough tuning 6 strings! A lot less stress to listen to someone else!
:merci:

I've been listening to other pieces of yours KK and I'm now convinced it's this computer :evil:

kidneykutter

Post by kidneykutter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 pm

My instrument has nylon (top 2 courses), nylgut, carbon fiber (5th course) and "thick core" overspun copper basses. Only my archlute has gut basses.

eales

Post by eales » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks Kidney Kutter - and I'm listening on my own computer now - it has speakers :D and it sounds much much better.

:bravo:

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:04 pm

The Baroque Lute does give a slight metallic edge to the sound - at least more so than a Renaissance Lute. I could be wrong but it sounds like the position of the microphone is further away than in most recordings and so it includes more room acoustics. That may be adding to the effect. Not a bad thing in itself and it may be a bit more truthful to a 'live' sound. Some people may take the view that it sounds a little 'distant'.
With all your recordings of the great Weiss I'm almost tempted to cut some wood and build the Hoffmann. Not sure how I would cope with the 71cm string length though but it's the sound of the Baroque Lute that does it for me. Carry on the good work Mr.Daniel.
Historicalguitars.

kidneykutter

Post by kidneykutter » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:25 pm

I must admit that this audio was taken off a digital video recording I made (it's on the "kidneykutter" channel on the youtubes). Not as ideal as when I use my digital audio recorder alone.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:35 am

Hello Kidneykutter,

Lovely work! Thank you for letting us hear this,

All the best, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”