Weiss, S. L. - Menuet in d minor

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
kidneykutter

Weiss, S. L. - Menuet in d minor

Post by kidneykutter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:20 pm

Menuet in d minor from the London Manuscript by SL Weiss. Same sonata as the prelude I just posted. Played around with ornamentation on the repeats, including both short and long appoggiaturas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eales

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Menuet in d minor

Post by eales » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:27 pm

I enjoyed that very much, thanks Kidneycutter.

norban

Post by norban » Sat May 31, 2008 4:50 pm

Hello kidneycutter,
I'm very impressed. Not only by the Menuett you are playing here but more by your website with all the beautiful lute videos allone 22 vids with Weiss music. A huge afford. :P
You play various pitches, D, A, F, ..... Is it possible to play them on the lute without tuning ?

Reading your profession I now understand your forum name :shock:

Regards
norban
A life without music is possible but very poor.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat May 31, 2008 5:23 pm

Hello Kidneycutter,

What a lovely atmosphere! Thank you for the music,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

kidneykutter

Post by kidneykutter » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:19 pm

norban wrote:Hello kidneycutter,
I'm very impressed. Not only by the Menuett you are playing here but more by your website with all the beautiful lute videos allone 22 vids with Weiss music. A huge afford. :P
You play various pitches, D, A, F, ..... Is it possible to play them on the lute without tuning ?

Reading your profession I now understand your forum name :shock:

Regards
norban
Thanks. The top 6 courses (single or pair of strings) of the 13 course Baroque lute are tuned fdafda and they are fretted on the fingerboard. The bottom 7 course are a diatonic scale going from A to G and only the top 3 of these are ever fretted. The bottom 7 strings are tuned according to the key of the piece so a d minor piece has a Bb instead of a B for the 13th course. A D major piece has a F# seventh course and a C# 11th course. That is one of the reasons pieces were grouped into suites or sonatas that were all in the same key, to avoid retuning after every piece.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Kidney Kutter

I somehow missed this when you first posted it... Thank you so much... you play it beautifully!

[May I make one small suggestion for future posts? Having heard you play this lute, I was wondering why it sounded slightly garbled... so I checked the file and noticed that you had saved it at a relative low-resolution (128kbps) Since it's a short piece, you could save it at a higher rate and still stay under the size limit. I realize that you may not have had much control over the recording side while you performed, but it's worth thinking about...]

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”