Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Marek Cupak

Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08

Post by Marek Cupak » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Edit: recording updated, far better recording HW, no noises and a little more clean playing for Azalais :bye:

Home recording; notebook's HW used only, therefore quite noisy, but still a bit hearable :) Critics on the interpretation are welcome at most.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Marek Cupak on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2014 Martin Okenica cedar, modern (H. Hauser I inspired)
2012 Martin Okenica spruce, early romantic (F. R. Lacôte inspired)

Azalais

Re: Weiss - S. L. - Fantasia in E minor

Post by Azalais » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:06 pm

:bravo:
Very nicely played... I like your interpretation...
You (and Weiss) (and your guitar) REALLY deserve a better recording set up :casque:
I do hope that you will play this again when you have a chance. :bye:

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Well played - the timing was free in style (as it is a fantasia), but I thought perhaps a bit too free at times. However, you had a really good dynamic range and phrasing. (Plus, please invest in some better recording equipment!)
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:59 am

Hello Gizmo,

The more Weiss I hear, the more I enjoy his music!

Thank you very much indeed for sharing your interpretation with us,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

eales

Post by eales » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:11 am

Very very nice. I would politely disagree with Lucy on the freedom of tempo - [on one listening anyway ] but agree about the recording facilities - it doesn't do your playing justice at all. Have you got an external mic? I find with mine that it has to be almost inside the soundhole.
I love Weiss' music - have you got some more in progress ? Would love to hear it. It's not at all easy but well worth the trouble - I read somewhere that his contemporary, JS Bach, regarded him very highly also.

:bravo: :merci:

RJC

Post by RJC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 pm

:casque:

Great.
I really enjoyed your interpretation. The quality of the recording did not detract from what I would consider a very fine performance. I particularly enjoyed the clarity of the bass notes and the freeflowing melody.
Again, great work.

Thanks.

-R

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:03 pm

Rob Mackillop uses a Sony mini external mic straight into the Laptop. He gets surprisingly good results with this set up.
Historicalguitars.

Marek Cupak

Post by Marek Cupak » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Michael.N. wrote:Rob Mackillop uses a Sony mini external mic straight into the Laptop
hi there :)

well... R. Mackillop is this guy here? http://www.rmguitar.info/
if you do remember, please post also link to specification of his notebook and that mic you mentioned

Marek Cupak

Post by Marek Cupak » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:08 pm

eales wrote:I read somewhere that his contemporary, JS Bach, regarded him very highly also.
or vice versa maybe :) - Weiss challenged Bach in improvisation of polyphonic pieces http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvius_Leopold_Weiss

and the progress - well, nothing more of Weiss, but i'm still hacking around trying to improve my repertoire and guitarplay

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Yes, that is him. Sorry Gizmo, I don't know the specs of his Laptop or the particular Sony microphone model, he just stated that it was a mini stereo Sony mic plugged straight into his Laptop. Probably best to e-mail him and ask the specific model number of his mic - and let us all know!!
I know that he uses Nero wave editor but I doubt that the particular Laptop or the software is the reason for the decent sound quality although I could be wromg about that. It's certainly good quality considering he is using little dedicated equipment, the playing helps as well of course.
Even if you find out the model Number it is best to check that it will work with your particular Notebook. If it doesn't you just might end up with a very, very quiet mic. There are people on the studio part of the forum who will probably be able to tell you and who are much more knowledgeable about these things than I am.
Historicalguitars.

leodio

Post by leodio » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:14 pm

i agree with you when you said its quite noisy but i liked it. the sound isnt the best but your interpretation(what really matters) is quite good. thankx.

Marek Cupak

Post by Marek Cupak » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:17 pm

Michael.N. wrote:Yes, that is him. Sorry Gizmo, I don't know the specs of his Laptop or the particular Sony microphone model, he just stated that it was a mini stereo Sony mic plugged straight into his Laptop. Probably best to e-mail him and ask the specific model number of his mic - and let us all know!!
hi again Michael,

well, i solved my 'noisy' problem with purchasing zoom h2 handy recorder. nice gadget. it can run on batteries or be plugged in into laptop and serve with it's microphone device as a mic only.

lucy

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Fantasia in E minor [updated]

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:07 pm

What an improvement - in playing and in sound quality. I thought it sounded great! :D You have a really nice clear tone and lovely phrasing. I particularly liked the descending stacatto notes near the ending which contrasted with flow of the main melody. Good dynamics too. Over-all, you shaped the piece really well - brought out all of its many contours. :bravo: :merci:
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

Marek Cupak

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Fantasia in E minor [Updated]

Post by Marek Cupak » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:03 pm

hi lucy. thanks for kind words. i did another little piece of work and updated the rec again. i was to keep all those "descending stacatto notes" you liked :D

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”