Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
lucy

Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08

Post by lucy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Hi Everyone

Here's my recording of this piece. As always there are a few flubbs.....but I hope not too bad ones.

I'm always aiming to improve - so I'd be interested in any feedback. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Weiss, S.L. - Fantasie in E Minor

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:27 pm

Very nice playing, Lucy!

Don't worry about the little flubs. You got all the way through the piece without stopping and that's more than I could do! :oops:

Your guitar sounds great and the recording quality is very good! Good separation of the voices in the fugal sections.

A slight bit of added reverb might be nice. What software are you using?

I have this piece in D minor, but I'm aware of the transciptions in E minor. It seems to work just fine in that key. I'll have to try one...

When I once played this piece for my cellist friend, he suggested that I play those first two runs like a harpsichordist would. That is, to start them slowly (about the tempo you play them at already) and then speed up on the way up and slow down again at the top. It's a very nice effect.

Thank you for posting! I'll look forward to hearing more from you!

Alan

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:03 am

Hello Lucy,

Thank you for the chac to hear your playing. It is a lovely piece and you handle it very nicely indeed,

Happy New Year, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

owl

Post by owl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:07 am

Well done Lucy... it's great to hear you play
It's nice to see the lady players on the board too... not enough of it in my opinion :mrgreen:

Good tone too... of course I'm not seeing your hands, but it sounds as though some of your landings are just a tad off, which could be why you aren't fretting as cleanly in some spots.
Not a criticism of course as I might be way off, just a suggestion for you to consider :D

Thanks for posting... I hope we hear more from you as I enjoyed listening :casque:

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks very much Tarbaby, Vesuvio and owl.
Tarbaby wrote: A slight bit of added reverb might be nice. What software are you using?

I have this piece in D minor, but I'm aware of the transciptions in E minor. It seems to work just fine in that key.

When I once played this piece for my cellist friend, he suggested that I play those first two runs like a harpsichordist would. That is, to start them slowly (about the tempo you play them at already) and then speed up on the way up and slow down again at the top. It's a very nice effect.
I'll try out adding some reverb with Wavepad. I also have this piece in D minor but I prefer it in E minor - somehow it seems brighter in this key - probably because it is a sharp key. Having said that the book with the Dm version in it says the original key was C minor - I think of that key as rather "dark" so maybe Dm is more appropriate? But I suppose all these keys may have sounded a bit different on a Baroque lute so it may difficult to tell exactly what sound Weiss intended. I only know what I prefer on the modern guitar. I had thought about speeding up during the first two runs - but didn't explore it - I will now. Thanks a lot for you feedback.
owl wrote: It's nice to see the lady players on the board too... not enough of it in my opinion :mrgreen:

Good tone too... of course I'm not seeing your hands, but it sounds as though some of your landings are just a tad off, which could be why you aren't fretting as cleanly in some spots.
I agree - us lady players should get out there more. :chitarrista:

You're right about some of my landings - I think the problem mainly occurs in the places were there are awkward stretches and because I have quite small hands it adds an extra dimension to the difficulty of those passages. But, no excuses - I know it is not impossible to get those bits clean - just need to put in more slow practise first.

Happy New Year to you all. :bye:
Robert Louis Stevenson

kes

Post by kes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi Lucy, That is a lovely piece and you play it beautifully, I really like your legato, and the tone is great too, it sounds very professional and captivating! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
lucy wrote:
owl wrote: It's nice to see the lady players on the board too... not enough of it in my opinion :mrgreen:
I agree - us lady players should get out there more. :chitarrista:
Yeah I'm not sure about this for myself personally, but go girls!!
Kath

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks for posting this Lucy, it's one of my favourite pieces and you play it very well. Lovely sounding guitar too, what make is it?
I've always thought it sounds better in Em as well - gives it more energy somehow.

And thanks also for alerting me to the existance of Flubs. I used to think that muffed notes were down to me, but now I realise it's my fingers unconciously trying to avoid these critters sitting just where they want to land. Trouble is, my mind can now see them all lined up on the nut whenever I start a piece, just waiting to pounce.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

remmus

Post by remmus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:03 pm

Wow!!! This is really lovely Lucy!

I like the forcefulness with which you play....so securely.

Very good recording and I agree about the great sound your guitar is producing. Keep posting more, please!

summer
:casque: :bravo: :casque:
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

serl

Post by serl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:36 am

Nice one lucy, well played! I like the tempo.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank you so much kes, leschas, Summer and lazy_s. Really appreciate your comments.
leschas wrote: Lovely sounding guitar too, what make is it?
Glad you like my guitar - it was made by the Spanish luthier Antonio Picado. It is the spruce top version of his concierto model.
leschas wrote: And thanks also for alerting me to the existance of Flubs. I used to think that muffed notes were down to me, but now I realise it's my fingers unconciously trying to avoid these critters sitting just where they want to land. Trouble is, my mind can now see them all lined up on the nut whenever I start a piece, just waiting to pounce.

What a great image! :lol: Our fingers really do seem to have minds of their own at times :mrgreen: need to train them to behave. :contrat:
Robert Louis Stevenson

owl

Post by owl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:23 pm

lucy wrote:
leschas wrote: And thanks also for alerting me to the existance of Flubs. I used to think that muffed notes were down to me, but now I realise it's my fingers unconciously trying to avoid these critters sitting just where they want to land.

What a great image! :lol:
I have to comment!
I've just picked myself up off the floor where I've been rolling around laughing... Les has made my day :lol:
Now I have visions of these little tiny furry things, hanging on to the strings for grim death!
I know I'll start laughing when I next pick up my guitar!

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:58 pm

:bravo: Love to hear your playing.
Thanks. :D
nok

jcrants

Post by jcrants » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Very nicely played!

I didn't miss hearing the flubs, but you made a lot fewer than I make on the much simpler pieces I'm playing, and they didn't keep me from also noticing the lovely tone and overall musicality.

Practice (I hope) is an effective flubbicide.

Factotem9

Post by Factotem9 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:48 am

Don't worry about the "flubs". They will work themselves out in time. The point is that you played it with grace and authority. How long have you been studying?

By the way, that guy Picado makes a fine guitar. I came very close to buying a Concierto model myself.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:30 pm

Many thanks nokturong, jcrants and Factotem9. I really appreciate your comments. :D
Factotem9 wrote: How long have you been studying?
I have been playing the guitar for 25 years, but have taken it a lot more seriously in recent years and put in much more work and time. I think it is essential to really apply yourself if you want to improve substantially at playing this hugely difficult instrument. :bye:
Robert Louis Stevenson

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”