Weiss, S. L. - Prelude - suite 34 (Dm) - Baroque Lute Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Valéry Sauvage

Weiss, S. L. - Prelude - suite 34 (Dm) - Baroque Lute Video

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:47 pm

A prelude by Weiss, the clock rings at the end... ;-)
V.

http://www.vimeo.com/4310193
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Weiss, S.L. - Prelude - suite 34 (Dm) - Baroque Lute

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:23 pm

Lovely, Valéry! This time you had to use every string as well. :merci:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm

That sounded great! I'm looking forward to the rest of this Suite/Sonata. Thanks for sharing.

Soltirefa

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:05 pm

:bravo: Very nice, Val, and I could barely hear the clock (I wouldn't have known it was there at all if you hadn't mentioned it :wink: ).

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:30 pm

Yes Erik, as Weiss composed ON the instrument (not as Bach...) he uses all the possibilities...
Soltifera, I will try to record the sonata, but little by little, there is some work to do (I already worked on both menuets, and sarabande, and will post soon, and the allemande is near to be ready... but there is left the courante, the bourée (very nice one..) and the gigue (not easy at all) so...
Hi Geoff, it was only the half so it ring only two bells, at noon... 12*2... Usually I try to record during the half hour but here I didn't pay attention to the clock, and when finished, :evil: ... but I didn't want to do it again... Later perhaps ;-)
V.
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi Val,

That was delightful, thank you for the recording,

Best regards, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks V.
Val ;-)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:06 pm

Don't worry about the clock, Val, it could have been worse :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38100&start=0 :wink:

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jamie Holding

Post by Jamie Holding » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:55 pm

I said it on youtube but I'll say it again here - wonderful playing of a beautiful piece.

May I make a request for you to play something Val? I don't mind whether it's in a months time or a years time or in ten years. Just at some point consider playing the sonata no. 36 in D minor by Weiss. It is my favourite sonata of the ones that I've heard of Weiss and it is so wonderful - one of the best things I've ever heard. :casque: If you can handle the approximately 20 minute length of course :wink: Thanks :merci:

Jamie

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:35 am

Félicitations!! Your playing is becoming more beautiful by the day. The tone is wonderful and the voicing and dynamics are so subtle... (As much as I adore Weiss, I can't wait for you to approach some of the French baroque lute composers too. :flowers: ) This instrument really suits you Valéry!

:bravo: :casque:

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:22 am

Hello Jamie, I will have a look at this suite, if not too difficult (some very difficult music in Weiss...)
Thanks a lot Az ;-) but I still think I'm a renaissance lute player, baroque is a pain to play sometimes... and so exclusive, I can't play anything else when I'm in a baroque phase.
French baroque... I'll try a piece or two, but not my cup of tea... Those frenchies are too complicated, lol !!!
V.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Luthval wrote:French baroque... I'll try a piece or two, but not my cup of tea... Those frenchies are too complicated, lol !!!
V.
Maybe it's an acquired taste like Crotin de Chèvre or Cervelle au Beurre Noir :wink:

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Azalais wrote:
Luthval wrote:French baroque... I'll try a piece or two, but not my cup of tea... Those frenchies are too complicated, lol !!!
V.
Maybe it's an acquired taste like Crotin de Chèvre or Cervelle au Beurre Noir :wink:
Like the first (very good cheese) not the second... ;-)
V.

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Really lovely music and performance. :bravo:
You get such a nice tone out of your lute Luthval - its always so soothing and graceful. :casque: :merci:
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Thank you very much Lucy ;-)
Val

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”