Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Conall

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Conall » Fri May 31, 2019 11:08 am

Alain Cloutier wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:41 am

If you want to play baroque lute music, just go for 13! No need for any arrangement and if you can play with 11 it's no big deal to play with two extra strings.
Well I'm getting on reasonably well with 11 so if as you say it's not that much harder I might well have to start saving for a 13 string (since I do love Weiss)!

Can you tell me the scale of your guitar (fingerboard strings) please? The luthier of my present guitar (Heikki Rousu) offers 2 scale lengths on the treble side - one alto guitar style 590mm and the other more conventional style 640mm for the 9 fingerboard strings. I'm tempted by the alto guitar type because it should be a bit easier (being shorter) and the extra bass strings are easily available rather than special order (I believe).

Alain Cloutier

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Fri May 31, 2019 12:00 pm

Conall wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:08 am

Well I'm getting on reasonably well with 11 so if as you say it's not that much harder I might well have to start saving for a 13 string (since I do love Weiss)!

Can you tell me the scale of your guitar (fingerboard strings) please? The luthier of my present guitar (Heikki Rousu) offers 2 scale lengths on the treble side - one alto guitar style 590mm and the other more conventional style 640mm for the 9 fingerboard strings. I'm tempted by the alto guitar type because it should be a bit easier (being shorter) and the extra bass strings are easily available rather than special order (I believe).
I actually have two thirteen strings, the one on Sonata 49 is 640 mm and the other one, here viewtopic.php?f=112&t=94006, is 630 mm.

I just like both and I don't really feel the different lenghts.

Finding the strings is not a problem at all, I use Pyramid lute strings for the basses.

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”