Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude - D05

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Wayne Klein

Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude - D05

Post by Wayne Klein » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:26 am

Here's my attempt at the Carcassi study #3.

I've been trying to think of this as a dialog between the upper melody and the bass. I'm not sure if I've gone too far in subduing the inner arpeggio line at times.

All suggestions or comments welcome - especially if they can help me improve it.

Thanks for listening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:51 am

I very much enjoyed your intrepretation, slower and well stated -- it was a unique way to hear a dear favorite. I think part of this piece is to maintain the inner voices while still emphasizing the melodic high voice, with a varying stress on the bass (hey I could be wrong.) It is a study of a pattern and most try to ring out the first string (sometimes the second) with rest strokes. Nonetheless, you found a way to play it well and differently, and it works. Good job and a nice idea -- but I would like to hear just a little more of the inner voicing at times (but I am going to go play it your way right now, just to experience your intrepretation.)
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

mike_v

Post by mike_v » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:25 am

Hello Wayne - Firstly, you played this piece really well; beautiful tone and very even playing. I too would like to hear the inner arpeggios a little more. At just past the half-way point in the piece you started to bring up the volume of those arpeggios and I think that was perfect; a beautiful balance between the bass and the accompaniment with the melody still ringing strong and true. Very nicely played.

:casque: :okok:
Mike

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:59 am

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for posting your interpretation of this old favourite.

I enjoyed the quality of tone you achieved, but I did miss the inner voice. It was a very interesting approach—it takes courage to experiment with something so familiar. Well done!

Best wishes, V :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Wayne Klein

Post by Wayne Klein » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Charles, Mike and Vesuvio,

Thanks very much for your input. We all seem to be in agreement on this. I need to put more of the inner line(s) into the early part of this.

I'm also glad that Mike noticed that it was the first half that was really out of balance. I listened today on speakers (as opposed to headphones) and it seemed more obvious.

Maybe I'll try another version in a few weeks.

Thanks again,
Wayne

Natan

Re: Matteo Carcassi - Etude 3 Opus 60

Post by Natan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:06 am

Wayne Klein wrote: I've been trying to think of this as a dialog between the upper melody and the bass. I'm not sure if I've gone too far in subduing the inner arpeggio line at times.
You are right, too far, particularly, in the first part.
I like the tempo. The piece has a beautiful melody line, probably more important than a bass line. IMHO, the speed just kills it.
Thanks for the sharing.

Wayne Klein

Post by Wayne Klein » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Natan,

Thanks for your input. I'm glad you agree with the tempo. I'm going around mm=66. I understand the Ricordi edition indicates (paraphrased) "no faster than 72". It's marked "andantino", whatever that meant in aprox. 1830?

I'm sure that I will still find it helpful to think of this "call and response" in the top and bass parts. I will just have to balance the parts better.

Regards.

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”