Carcassi, Matteo - Capriccio

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Piffles

Carcassi, Matteo - Capriccio

Post by Piffles » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:19 pm

Evenin' folks!

Been working on my arpeggios lately. This piece that I recorded today is a good illustration of what my arpeggios sound like. .... I'm not satisfied. I can't quite define what, but something is definitely fishy. Maybe too heavy on the right hand? or just too slow? or am I just nuts?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Piffles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarods

Post by jarods » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:55 pm

hello Piffles
no you might be satisfied (me i am...) , really ! your arpeggios are :okok: , and i feel the power (or not) of your fingers on these arpeggios :arrow: so i will speak in terms of nuances , and you did fine on this mp3.
Are you electric (gibson?) before ? cause i saw the avatar ! do you play CG since a long time, i don't know :oops: ! don't be worry , if you decided electric---> CG, it's firstly a good choice, and you have all the competence...to produce us another piece :idea: of carcassi...like this one :!:
:bravo:

wchymeUS

Post by wchymeUS » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:03 am

Nice :casque: :casque:

There's nothing really fishy for me here, except that I have the feeling you play it like a study and not like a whim ... I mean a Cappricio!
To me a Cappriccio is animated. So speed is important, but also nuances and clear variations in volumes and tempo.
With your play, it's technically correct but lacking the eccentricity of a capriccio. That's why I'm comparing your interpretation to a study.
I'd suggest you emphasize the bass line here and there, and vary speed to create some motion.
Hope this helps

Abd El Ghani AZZI

Post by Abd El Ghani AZZI » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:06 am

Thanks Piffles!
I beleive that the fishy sound impression, is due to your will to get further quikly. :D Understand that the piece (being a simple one) might not satisfy your expectations. This is great, and means that you will get further. My advice is :
:idea: Enjoy your playing, look at it as if you were the first one to play it. As if nobody has never heard this before.
:idea: Give your playing a speech form : Think that it is made up of distinct phrases, that each phrase has a meaning, therefor a particular effect.
The paradox in music : I beleive that once one starts playing a piece, time notion has no importance : It's the playing that structures the Time, not the inverse. You may feel like slowing down the tempo (let's say usualy at the beginning and ends of phrases - this is no rule :wink: ) . Or just chiming out the notes. You are the Time Master, the time you are playing. There's no hurry, no quick, no early no late, in relation with the external world. There's time notion only within the piece itself (relativity). Think of tempo changes inside the piece...

Volume dynamics? Another problem... You have strong fingers! but power is nothing without control... Variations in the volume give more volume, just like a black spot on a white surface, makes it look even more white. Bringing down the volume attracts the attention of the listener...HIGHER VOLUME gives them confidence.
Hope it'll help.

(fEZ : put you fez in your mouth! :lol: )

Piffles

Post by Piffles » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:51 am

Thanks for your comments.

Well, I tried to do some variations both in tempo and volume. Maybe I was too timid to go far enough. The thing is I've been spending so much time getting the speed and the timing right in my studies that I hesitate to personalize it too much, for fear of "losing the rythm".

Another problem is that I find it difficult to make up my own variations on a piece I've never heard before.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction anyway! :wink:
Piffles.

jarods

Post by jarods » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:12 am

fEZ wrote:.... You may feel like slowing down the tempo (let's say usualy at the beginning and ends of phrases - this is no rule :wink: ) . Or just chiming out the notes. You are the Time Master, the time you are playing. There's no hurry, no quick, no early no late, in relation with the external world.....
j bream is a master in this notion :!: fEZ is talking about :idea:

APribilski

Post by APribilski » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:07 pm

hey piffles, great job. i have to agree that it sounds a little more like a study, but you did very well. :ouioui:
just give it a little more time

btw: which caprice is this? from which op#
i would love to try this one out :wink:

Piffles

Post by Piffles » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:14 pm

Unfortunately I don't know the Opus no.
You can get the score over at eythorsson.com in the "Guitar Method II" PDF (last piece in the book).

Abd El Ghani AZZI

Post by Abd El Ghani AZZI » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:32 pm

My god this is a different piece - A different player!
A different BRAVO! :lol: :applauso: :applauso: :applauso:

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”