Carcassi, Matteo - op. 60/07 Etude - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
arpisma

Carcassi, Matteo - op. 60/07 Etude - Video

Post by arpisma » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:04 pm

This is the famous etude in A minor by Matteo Carcassi. I wish i could post something else but everything seems to be copyright protected nowadays :?
This étude in A minor composed by Italian guitarist Matteo Carcassi (1792 -- 1853), combines both technical challenges and musical interest. Nowadays it is wrongly (strictly my personal opinion) used by teachers as a tremolo study (the right hand playing a-m-i) although this particular technique didn't exist when the study was written (it was later introduced by Spanish masters like Tarrega). I strongly advise students to play it i-m-i or m-i-m in order to preserve historical authenticity in the musical performance.

Last edited by arpisma on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op. 60/07 Etude - Video

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 pm

:merci: :bravo:
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Smith

Post by Smith » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:08 am

Very good! And thank you for a little background information about the piece. Carcassi is new to me. I am learning Étude 3 for my online lessons. Thanks again!

arpisma

Post by arpisma » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 am

Smith wrote:Very good! And thank you for a little background information about the piece. Carcassi is new to me. I am learning Étude 3 for my online lessons. Thanks again!
Remember to use the metronome while learning these Etudes, it'll pay off! :)

Psychosis

Post by Psychosis » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:55 pm

I felt like "Wow" when I listened to that piece and if I could (my neighbours) you would have made me play my guitar. :D Thanks for sharing this.

sphinx

Post by sphinx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 am

arpisma wrote:I strongly advise students to play it i-m-i or m-i-m in order to preserve historical authenticity in the musical performance.
Considering the musical performance, I'd say that observing Carcassi's indicated tempo, Allegro, and his explicit and elaborate dynamic markings is more important than which fingers to use.

attila57
Amateur luthier

Post by attila57 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Brilliant! :bravo: :merci:
I join you if I may: I'm playing this piece with p-i-m-i, too, in spite of the recommended p-a-m-i in my sheet music. Although that fingering is just a recommended possibility, I consider it nonsense.

sphinx wrote:
sphinx wrote: his explicit and elaborate dynamic markings is more important than which fingers to use.
I think is fingering is a very important aspect. Some effects are just very difficult to produce with the 'wrong' fingering, whereas it comes naturally with others. Exactly that's the point behind some guitar schools: each finger is a different tool to produce different tones, and each string is a different guitar... True however, that each finger works differently for different guitarists.

I personally like to experience a lot with different fingerings and find the best possibility, that produces the best result musically, with the least effort.

Attila
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

arpisma

Post by arpisma » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Fingering is important (of course dynamics and tempo are equally important). It's not just a technique thing: I think that playing tremolo will make you put all the accentuation on p (usually p-a-m-i = 4 thirty-second notes), whereas with p-i-m-i there will be some emphasis put on the the third note too, it's more appropriate in my opinion with 16th notes and for this piece in particular.

sphinx

Post by sphinx » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:33 pm

arpisma wrote:playing tremolo will make you put all the accentuation on p
Not really. A properly trained player can place the accents anywhere they want independently of the fingering.

This study can be played with many different right hand fingerings, and I'd say the student should be free to use whatever fingering they're comfortable with as long as the interpretation is musically convincing.

arpisma

Post by arpisma » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:00 pm

sphinx wrote:
arpisma wrote:playing tremolo will make you put all the accentuation on p
Not really. A properly trained player can place the accents anywhere they want independently of the fingering.

This study can be played with many different right hand fingerings, and I'd say the student should be free to use whatever fingering they're comfortable with as long as the interpretation is musically convincing.
Of course everyone is free to play it as he wishes, I'm just saying that in my opinion it's better to play it i-m-i that's all. :bye: And sorry but I'll have to disagree with you: playing tremolo (fast) and placing the accent elsewhere than on p is almost impossible.
Peace,
A.

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”