Carulli, Ferdinando - Andantino

Audio and video recordings of the works of Ferdinando Carulli.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carulli, Ferdinando - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carulli, Ferdinando - op.034/02 Largo - D07 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
abielikesu

Carulli, Ferdinando - Andantino

Post by abielikesu » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Six months ago I started learning CG and I feel it's time to publish a song.

This is my first ...

- Recorded song in CG
- Time using a mixing console
- Time using Reaper

I apologize for the blunder at the end :oops:

Feedback on the interpretation or recording/mixing/mastering is more than welcome.

After a lot of reading on how to record CG, mic'ing, mixing, mastering, etc ... here it is.

[Edit: I have remastered the track to have more volume]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by abielikesu on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Abie
(ES)(EN) No hay cosas imposibles, sino hombres incapaces ...
------------------------
Guitarras: 2010 Alberto Paredes (Pino suizo), Antonio Carvalho 4C (Cedro)

mverive

Re: Carulli, Ferdinando - Andantino

Post by mverive » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:28 am

It's always difficult choosing and recording your first piece for public listening, but you picked a nice piece and played it well. Much of Carulli's pieces have been criticized as being too simplistic and not original (some have even called him irrelevant), but they have their place in the history and modern performance of guitar. Besides, if *you* like playing them, does anyone else's opinion really matter?

Play on. I look forward to hearing your progress, and to viewing your first video as well.

Mike

:bravo:
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:10 am

Congratulations on your first recording, Abie! :D (Now that I know your name, I really appreciate your username. :lol: )

When I posted my first recording here, I was more nervous than when I played my first concert. :chaud: I know it takes alot of courage.

I also found out immediately, that you learn more from one recording of yourself than you do from a year of lessons. You're playing is nice and clean. I think you botched the ending slightly because you were distracted by the thought "I made it to the end!" Am I right?

The recording quality is quite good, I think. It might be a bit soft...I had all my volume levels up as high as they would go. But, I've been having that problem sometimes ever since I got new speakers. Let's see what the other members have to say.

Good job. Keep 'em coming!

Alan

Elijah

Post by Elijah » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 am

Hi Abie

Congratulations!
Technical quality of your first recording is excellent. :casque: :okok:
Your play is very nice, :bravo: surprisingly nice if we take into account
that you started with CG only 6 months ago. :o
Carulli’s pieces like this Andantino are easy to play :guitare:
but they are not so easy to interpret. :chaud:
You interpretation is quite nice. :bravo:
In my opinion, the performance would be just wonderful, if you increase a bit the tempo.

Best wishes,
Elijah

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks all for the feedback and nice comments.
mverive wrote:It's always difficult choosing and recording your first piece for public listening, but you picked a nice piece and played it well. Much of Carulli's pieces have been criticized as being too simplistic and not original (some have even called him irrelevant), but they have their place in the history and modern performance of guitar. Besides, if *you* like playing them, does anyone else's opinion really matter?
At my current level, I find carulli's pieces to be entertaining. I like other composers better, but nothing I can play atm :|
mverive wrote: Play on. I look forward to hearing your progress, and to viewing your first video as well.
I have recorded a couple videos, but I literally get petrified and make many mistakes :chaud:
Tarbaby wrote: I also found out immediately, that you learn more from one recording of yourself than you do from a year of lessons. You're playing is nice and clean. I think you botched the ending slightly because you were distracted by the thought "I made it to the end!" Am I right?
Completely right!
Tarbaby wrote: The recording quality is quite good, I think. It might be a bit soft...I had all my volume levels up as high as they would go. But, I've been having that problem sometimes ever since I got new speakers. Let's see what the other members have to say.
I'll try to boost volume for the next song. I'm still learning how to make use of the whole available dynamic range. My main concern was trying to minimize the huge amount of noise present when I recorded it: Laptop sounding like an old fridge, my son playing piano downstairs, the cars passing by. I'm very pleased with the resulting noise level. Still a lot to learn, though.
Elijah wrote: Your play is very nice, surprisingly nice if we take into account
that you started with CG only 6 months ago.
My wife just corrected me. It's been 9 months listening to me all day long :P
Elijah wrote: Carulli’s pieces like this Andantino are easy to play
but they are not so easy to interpret.
You interpretation is quite nice. :bravo:
In my opinion, the performance would be just wonderful, if you increase a bit the tempo.
I can play it faster, but I "feel it" more when I play it slower. I'll give it a go faster and see how it turns out.

Thanks again for listening to my performance!
- Abie
------------------------

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Abie,

This was one of the first pieces I remember studying and I still like to hear it. Congratulations on your first recording, I do admire anyone with the courage to record and publish their work and am sure you will go from strength to strength. Enjoy your musical journey!

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

guitarra

Post by guitarra » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Abie,

For 9 months of playing CG it sounds very good. Though I am a newbie myself, your playing of this piece doesn't sound beginner-ish at all. To me it sounds like it's played slow because you chose to play it slow, which is exactly what I think you were going for. It's also very cleanly played; that alone is a great achievement in my mind (i.e. firm, accurate fretting with the left hand, and no nail buzz from the right hand - I still struggle with both of those).

The quality of the recording is good as well. From what you described it seems like it was quite busy all around you during your playing, but none of that noise makes it into the recording. The sound level was a bit low; it sounded great when I turned it all the way up, but I guess that means it's lower than "most other audio," so it should probably be a little louder.

Great job!

RJ

syncopation

Post by syncopation » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:53 am

Hi Abie, I thought you did an excellent job. :casque: :merci: sync.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:44 pm

This one seems to be a fave of us beginners and I like to hear different interpretations. It took me a lot longer to memorize and record so even though the song is considered 'easy' it really isn't to even a beginner. But I like your version too. :casque: The recording sounds good to me and I only wish I had a better set up for recording.
I think it would be interesting to have a bunch of us on stage (or a park bench) to each play our own version. :)
Help!

ivanho

Post by ivanho » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:50 pm

Very nice. I hope we hear more from you and can listen to how you progress; you're clearly off to a great start.

Carulli was one of my early favorites too. I still enjoy playing one of his e-minor waltzes now and then.

woodsprite

Post by woodsprite » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:38 am

Personally, I like Carulli and I think you played this out very well. I especially like your control of the left hand. Fretting was very accurate and clean, and that's a lot to have achieved in such a short time. Keep it up and enjoy the process. Hope to hear more from you in future. I don't have the equipment to record yet but would like to do it eventually. thanks again for a job well done. :bravo:
R.D. Morin, Las Cruces, NM ... love every minute I spend at learning this wonderful instrument...

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks all for your comments. It encourages me to practice harder and to want to publish another one :merci:

I've practised a lot but all is thanks to my great tutors. Follow the links below and guess who they are ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Segovia and http://www.grahamdevine.com/ :bye:

Even though I'm just a beginner he stresses all the time that musicality :casque: is "extremely" important, even at the beginner level.
Of course a lot of emphasis is also put in proper technique. Not that I have a good technique, but I'm being guided in the "right" direction.
- Abie
------------------------

Return to “Our recordings of Ferdinando Carulli”