Carulli, Ferdinando - Etude - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Ferdinando Carulli.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carulli, Ferdinando - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carulli, Ferdinando - op.034/02 Largo - D07 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
abielikesu

Carulli, Ferdinando - Etude - Video

Post by abielikesu » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:46 pm

This is my first video, after a year learning the CG. I'm quite happy with my pogress but hope to improve a lot the next year.

All your comments are, of course, welcome.

Last edited by abielikesu on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucy

Re: Carulli - Etude

Post by lucy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Well done on your first upload. It was very fluent playing and technically secure. You've got a good sense of rhythm too. :casque:

One thing you could do to improve though, is to play with more dynamics (louds and softs etc.). You have a very secure technique so you should be able to put these in if you put your mind to it. Remember, getting the notes right is only the first step in learning a piece - the next one is get to know it inside out - after that you can let go and really perform it with all the expression/dynamics you have chosen.

Keep at it - you're doing great. I also learned this piece in my first year too - it was lovely to hear it again. :merci:
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Thank you for your nice rendition. This etude is a really reawarding one. It sounds to me that you have gained a lot and played firm. Which score or edition you play on?

Whooper

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:16 pm

Whooper wrote:Thank you for your nice rendition. This etude is a really reawarding one. It sounds to me that you have gained a lot and played firm. Which score or edition you play on?

Whooper
Thanks for your comments.

I'm following Noad's Solo Guitar method.

I had a lot of fun playing it, but was extremely nervous in front of the camera.

Vesuvio

Re: Carulli, Ferdinando - Etude

Post by Vesuvio » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Abie,

Well done! I think you handled this very well and wish you a very musical new year (and many more to come),

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Hello Abie,
You are developing a confident technique. Now start thinking about dynamics and phrasing, and letting the music breathe. Thanks for sharing...muchas gracias :)
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:22 pm

Congratulations on your first video, Abie!

:bravo:

I agree with the others about your technique (both of your hands look very good!) and your phrasing. With such solid hand positions, you can afford to free yourself up a bit. I'm sure you're more relaxed without the camera being on. I know I am! :chaud:

Thank you for this contribution. It serves as an inspiration to all beginners as to what can be done in only one year! :D

Looking forward to more,

Alanlikesu2

rlatkin

Post by rlatkin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 am

Hi, Abie,

Great job! Good music! I've seen many with more experience not as well in control of the guitar as you are. :guitare:

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks again for the encouraging words.
Cary W wrote:Hello Abie,
You are developing a confident technique. Now start thinking about dynamics and phrasing, and letting the music breathe. Thanks for sharing...muchas gracias :)
About dynamics: I've been talking about it with my teacher, and I'm trying to incorporate some of that to my playing but most of my energy goes to actually playing the piece (the right notes).
If he tells me play it softer or louder here or smoother there, I slowly incorporate that, but I still can't figure out by myself what kinda dynamics a passage deserves or how it's supposed to be played.
Tarbaby wrote:Congratulations on your first video, Abie!
:bravo:
I agree with the others about your technique (both of your hands look very good!) and your phrasing. With such solid hand positions, you can afford to free yourself up a bit. I'm sure you're more relaxed without the camera being on. I know I am! :chaud:
Thank you for this contribution. It serves as an inspiration to all beginners as to what can be done in only one year! :D
Looking forward to more,
Alanlikesu2
Thanks Alan, this community has given me a lot of motivation, and a lot of tips/knowledge.

The most important one so far: Take lessons with a teacher!!
The second most important one:It's generally better to take lessons less frequently with a very good teacher/performer than more regular ones with a not so good teacher.

I currently take lessons with a concert player/performer. Of course due to the cost and distance I have to travel I can only take a lesson every 1.5 months. 1 year = 8 lessons :roll: .
It's been quite a challenge because I have to practice a lot not to be to rubbish in front of him. The advice and feedback he's given me has been superb. :contrat:

The next year(2010) is gonna be very exciting as I'll hopefully learn the full bar (started to learn the second position) that will open the door to more interesting music.

Happy new year to all of you and Muchas Gracias for the encouragement.

Return to “Our recordings of Ferdinando Carulli”