Giuliani, Mauro - op.048/13 Etude

Audio and video recordings of the works of Mauro Giuliani.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Giuliani, Mauro - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Giuliani, Mauro - op.033/10 Écossaise - D02 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
User avatar
Marek Cupak
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Slovakia

Giuliani, Mauro - op.048/13 Etude

Post by Marek Cupak » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:26 pm

13th from Giuliani's op. 48
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BFGuitar

Post by BFGuitar » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:15 pm

Good job!
Being a big Guiliani fan, I enjoyed all the etudes you played. Try capoing the 3rd fret to make it sound like the guitar Guiliani played, it makes it sound that much better. It gives it a much more sweet sound.

User avatar
Marek Cupak
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Marek Cupak » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:49 pm

These etudes are not written for a terzguitar (chitarrino), but for classical guitar (chitarra), so there's no need to use capo in 3rd pos.

mika

Post by mika » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:09 pm

Wow, you have really fast fingers!!! :shock:

Thank you for sharing with us!

BFGuitar

Post by BFGuitar » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:18 pm

gizmo64 wrote:These etudes are not written for a terzguitar (chitarrino), but for classical guitar (chitarra), so there's no need to use capo in 3rd pos.
How do you know this?
Im quite interested.

User avatar
Marek Cupak
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Marek Cupak » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:39 am

@BFG> Terzguitar is tuned one 3rd higher than usual CG and is a bit smaller and thinner.

You can see it here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.south ... large.html
http://www.kresse-gitarren.de/Verkauf7.html
also http://www.forjadordigital.com.ar/ferna ... rices.html
and good info at http://www.musurgia.com/products.asp?Pr ... 4241222004

Everything "outgoogled" :)

In old sheets for terzguitar, there is always (or should be) written the fact it is for terzguitar. If there is any duo for terzguitar and -something-, the key in which TG is notated is three accidentals away from key in that -something-. For example: TG & piano - piano plays in A Major (three shaprs), TG in C Major (no sharps). If you want to play TG part on a CG, you have to put capo in 3rd position, or transcribe and transpose the part from C to A Major.

@mika> there are some noises, it's not clear :(

BFGuitar

Post by BFGuitar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:35 pm

gizmo64 wrote:@BFG> Terzguitar is tuned one 3rd higher than usual CG and is a bit smaller and thinner.

You can see it here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.south ... large.html
http://www.kresse-gitarren.de/Verkauf7.html
also http://www.forjadordigital.com.ar/ferna ... rices.html
and good info at http://www.musurgia.com/products.asp?Pr ... 4241222004

Everything "outgoogled" :)

In old sheets for terzguitar, there is always (or should be) written the fact it is for terzguitar. If there is any duo for terzguitar and -something-, the key in which TG is notated is three accidentals away from key in that -something-. For example: TG & piano - piano plays in A Major (three shaprs), TG in C Major (no sharps). If you want to play TG part on a CG, you have to put capo in 3rd position, or transcribe and transpose the part from C to A Major.

@mika> there are some noises, it's not clear :(
I know about a terzguitar and how its tuned 3 frets higher, but my question was how do you know this specific piece was composed for a guitar rather than a terzguitar? Did you have access to the original score?

User avatar
Marek Cupak
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Marek Cupak » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:14 am

This etude is excerpt from Giuliani's Concerto No. 2, op 36 for guitar and string orchestra. Surely, it is written for guitar with usual tuning. Many of etudes in op. 48 are excerpt from his concerts (No 1 in A op. 30, No 2 in A op. 36, No 3 in F op. 70, and piece in A op. 65 for CG & string quartet). A part of the sixth etude is also used in Giualini's Sonata Eroica op. 150. part of the second etude from op. 48 is used in Grand Duo for CG & piano, which is without opus number, but has double authorship - Giuliani and Ignaz Moscheles. I think the piece was composed during Giuliani's stay in Vienna (he was there since 1803), where he met also L. van Beethoven and J. N. Hummel.

BFGuitar

Post by BFGuitar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:54 pm

gizmo64 wrote:This etude is excerpt from Giuliani's Concerto No. 2, op 36 for guitar and string orchestra. Surely, it is written for guitar with usual tuning. Many of etudes in op. 48 are excerpt from his concerts (No 1 in A op. 30, No 2 in A op. 36, No 3 in F op. 70, and piece in A op. 65 for CG & string quartet). A part of the sixth etude is also used in Giualini's Sonata Eroica op. 150. part of the second etude from op. 48 is used in Grand Duo for CG & piano, which is without opus number, but has double authorship - Giuliani and Ignaz Moscheles. I think the piece was composed during Giuliani's stay in Vienna (he was there since 1803), where he met also L. van Beethoven and J. N. Hummel.
From my knowledge I thought his concertos were for terzguitars....

And actually, not only did he meet Beethoven, but he played violin for some of his orchestral works :)
I read that somewhere, forgot where exactly.

User avatar
Marek Cupak
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Marek Cupak » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:23 pm

I've heard he played violoncello in some Beethoven's symphony there in Vienna, maybe in 1806... Don't know that exactly. They say he was also a singer. Started playing violin firts, than cello, but ended with guitar only...

BFGuitar

Post by BFGuitar » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:16 am

Because guitar is that cool :D

tritone

Post by tritone » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:34 am

Sounds Good.. thank you for posting this tune I enjoyed it ... chao

Return to “Our recordings of Mauro Giuliani”