Giuliani, Mauro - op.050/15

Audio and video recordings of the works of Mauro Giuliani.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Giuliani, Mauro - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Giuliani, Mauro - op.033/10 Écossaise - D02 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
icalvino

Giuliani, Mauro - op.050/15

Post by icalvino » Tue May 15, 2007 1:23 pm

Reading through the posts on this forum BFGUITAR inspired me to learn some Guiliani studies. I was told by my wife after I recorded this that she would appreciate if I would practice in the basement from now on. She is sick of hearing me practice the guitar at every waking moment. I guess my playing really impressed her.

Any feedback is welcome. Obviously with a critic like my wife, I have thick skin. I think my tempo is slower than is called for but this is the best I can muster at the moment. Also I've been having real trouble controlling the low G's in the seventh measure. My thumb just can't get the message to lighten up.

This opus seems like a good one for beginners. The score can be found on the eythorsson site here: http://www.eythorsson.com/music/1141.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Tue May 15, 2007 2:29 pm

That was a pretty nice recording. I have not played this study myself, but it is a pretty good one in my opinion. Looking at the score.. there are lots of places where you could work on string stopping, but that can be VERY tricky at times.. and its really not that necessary.
Overall.. You did a great job! keep up the good work!

Cody

icalvino

Post by icalvino » Tue May 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Mr. Cold. Thanks very much for your reply. String stopping is something that is completely missing from my playing at this point. I am just happy to have the strings starting :D . It is something that I am aware of but haven't worked on. I am hoping to find an instructor some time in the near future that will help me with this type of thing.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue May 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Hello Icalvino,

Thank you for the chance to hear this. I think you did a pretty good job and am always pleased to hear something new. I think I should be more familiar with Giuliani.

Best wishes, V

PS Please forgive a personal comment. When is your wife's birthday? You might think about learning something wonderful to play just for her to try and get her to become a little more supportive of your hobby—or take her to a classical guitar concert perhaps? You never know, she might even get the desire to learn to play too. :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Tue May 15, 2007 5:04 pm

icalvino wrote:Mr. Cold. Thanks very much for your reply. String stopping is something that is completely missing from my playing at this point. I am just happy to have the strings starting :D . It is something that I am aware of but haven't worked on. I am hoping to find an instructor some time in the near future that will help me with this type of thing.
Thats just fine. I didn't mean that you really need to work on it for any reason.. just that this piece would be a decent exercise for practicing string stopping.

Cody

icalvino

Post by icalvino » Tue May 15, 2007 5:24 pm

mrcold wrote: this piece would be a decent exercise for practicing string stopping.
I completely agree with you. Being a relative beginner to CG, I am just not sure how you actually accomplish/practice string stopping. I did a search for string stopping here, but I didn't find much that was relevant.

I presume you need to use your fingers to mute notes once they have rung out for their denoted value. So for example in this piece, I am guessing you would be thinking of perhaps the open low E and A's which I let ring out indefinintely. Is this correct?

icalvino

Post by icalvino » Tue May 15, 2007 5:37 pm

Vesuvio wrote:PS Please forgive a personal comment. When is your wife's birthday? You might think about learning something wonderful to play just for her to try and get her to become a little more supportive of your hobby—or take her to a classical guitar concert perhaps? You never know, she might even get the desire to learn to play too. :)
Vesuvio
Thank you very much for your reply. I played Lagrima for her the other night she just adored it. My wife is a mystery to me. She loves to hear me play guitar one day and the next day she wants to bash it over my head. I guess that's what makes marriage fun. It's rather unpredictable at times.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue May 15, 2007 6:39 pm

icalvino wrote:...I played Lagrima for her the other night she just adored it...
That's delightful! I am so glad your wife isn't completely immune to the guitar.

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

wchymeUS

Post by wchymeUS » Thu May 17, 2007 3:43 am

No worry on this one, you have the tempo right. You could spend a bit more time on giving more contrasts, but it's fine with me.
About your wife, I think mine is like yours (just referring to the guitar, o' course). What bothers her the most is to hear the same piece over and *over* again... so it's good if you can practice in your garage or (in my case) the shed in the backyard, as then she will be caught by surprised by well rounded interpretations like you probably gave her with Lagrima :D

Return to “Our recordings of Mauro Giuliani”