Giuliani, Mauro - op.111/02 Allegretto

Audio and video recordings of the works of Mauro Giuliani.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Giuliani, Mauro - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Giuliani, Mauro - op.033/10 Écossaise - D02 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
lagartija

Giuliani, Mauro - op.111/02 Allegretto

Post by lagartija » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:30 pm

After 7 takes, this is the one where the fewest things went wrong! :lol:

Recorded with a Zoom H4N on a tripod, 55" from the guitar and 51" off the floor with the mics aimed down at the guitar. The recorder was directly in front of the guitar. I used Audacity to trim the rustling at the ends. Nothing else was done to the recording.
This piece was played using my new Chapman guitar.

I tried very hard to just keep going, even when a few notes got squashed. I played it as if it were for a recital and tried not to be nervous! :D
To me, the recording sounds different than when I am behind the guitar and one of the reasons to record is to find out what it sounds like to the audience and adjust my tone and balance accordingly. I started work on this piece 10 months ago. Still a work in progress! :wink:

In any case, I hope you enjoy it.
Giuliani-allegretto-3-9-11.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Giuliani, Mauro - op.111/02 Allegretto

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Good job, lagartija! :D

I liked the way you ended the piece with such bravado. Endings are one of the most important parts of pieces and yours leaves the listener with a feeling of satisfaction. (Although, knowing you, it was probably more of a feeling of relief for you). :wink:

I didn't notice any "squashed" notes. If there were, you did a good job of covering them up.

The only suggestions I would make are to try to be a bit more consistent with the tempo. Also, it was sometimes difficult to get the feeling of "three". We all have a tendency to attack "pick up" notes, so try being aware of lightening up on those and giving the "one" a slight accent. In other words, three and one (that rhythm occurs a lot in this piece), rather than three and one. In 3/4 I think you can give all of the "ones" a slight accent.

Thank you for this contribution! :merci:

Alan

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 pm

:bravo:

I enjoyed listening to it. I love the tone of your guitar. This is a piece I have played myself off and on for years and your recording shows me what I should be aiming for.

:merci:

I just wonder if you are thinking too much about recording, which I can certainly understand. Maybe building the recording process into your routine would help. Rather than counting the takes you might record a whole session but only keep the bits you are happy with?
To me, the recording sounds different than when I am behind the guitar and one of the reasons to record is to find out what it sounds like to the audience and adjust my tone and balance accordingly.
This might be one advantage of recording complete sessions - maybe you get a slightly more objective slant on your playing; and you can surely go over the excerpts which are particularly good or particularly bad in order to learn more.

I'm looking forward to your next recording.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Very nice, lagartija. :merci: :bravo: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:07 pm

Alan, funny you should say that about the 3 and one emphasis.... my teacher has told me the same thing! Maybe I should listen to him? :lol: Ok.... I will definitely work on fixing that. I'll think more about where I place the accent in each measure.
The bravado ending is indeed bravado. This piece always seemed to me to have an "over-the-top" finish.... so dramatic! I always end up grinning at the end of it and finishing that last chord with a florish.... can't help myself! My teacher took me to task one time for making it a caricature of itself, so I'm careful not to make it into a joke, but I do feel that high drama at the end. There is such a build up. :D I've worked a lot on that ending, but in the recording, I could still hear a slight hesitation between the last note in measure 104 and the two C notes in following measure (just before the final two chords). It should be 1+2+3+ ONE, and I had at least an extra + in there as I made the big shift up the fretboard!

Ah yes... the tempo... I can count this while playing it, but I think you mean more use of rubato in measure 72 when the new theme is introduced and I play it a bit more sul tasto? I've been experimenting with that part, and perhaps that wasn't as effective as I wished. :oops: I can dial that up to match the rest....
I can play this piece to the metronome while counting.... and now I am trying to let it breath. But maybe it is now "breathing" a bit too heavily??!! The problem for me is that the theme in the piece is pretty repetitive and I don't want to put the listener to sleep, so I am trying to "do something different" the second time around. If it becomes disorienting or distracting to the listener, then I will rethink that. Well.... that is why we let others listen to our recordings! :D
Thank you so much for your helpful comments! :merci: :D

Jamiecrock, I usually just turn on the recorder and try to forget it is there. I am pretty successful with that after about two times through the piece. I don't turn off the recorder, I just keep playing the piece and try to feel the music. After I feel that what I've recorded pretty well represents where I am with the piece (none of the takes are without some error....whether that be hesitation, missed note or buzz), I stop the recorder. Then I label the file with all the takes with the date. I've been listening to all takes and then choosing the best to upload here, but I keep all of them since they give me a better idea of the areas that were giving me trouble at the time I made the recording.
I'm glad you enjoyed the piece!

Thank you for listening, Erik!
__/^^^^^o>

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Wow! :shock:
You gave this music all the drama and flourish it deserved. Of course you will clean up some things over time, but otherwise very well done. :)

Cheers,
Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks, Cary! :mrgreen: Yes, still things to fix, but I'm getting there!
__/^^^^^o>

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 am

Well done Lagartija,

This is only the second time I have heard this and I think your interpretation is coming along nicely,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Thank you, Vesuvio. Yes, still some work to be done, but a fun piece to play and I like it well enough to polish it some more.
Thank you for listening!
:merci:
__/^^^^^o>

stansby40

Post by stansby40 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:49 am

Thank you for this piece. You played it well and make me want to try this piece, as I do enjoy many Giuliani works. Thanks again.

Mark

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:51 pm

You are welcome, Stansby40, and thank you for listening. :D
It is a fun piece to play, I hope you enjoy working on it as much as I do!
__/^^^^^o>

Beppe81

Post by Beppe81 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:25 pm

I'd like to listen.. so this is my second post.. I'll tell you my opinion soon ;)

EDIT: nice job, as a first attempt it's a good one!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks, Beppe81! :wink: Yes, more work to be done, but it is coming along pretty well.
__/^^^^^o>

Beppe81

Post by Beppe81 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:29 am

I'm studying the same piece (among others), and I'm much far from you :) but dunno why, I love it!!!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Beppe81 wrote:I'm studying the same piece (among others), and I'm much far from you :) but dunno why, I love it!!!
I know....it is because it is a fun piece to play! There is a lot of room for expression because of the repetition of the themes (do something different each time you play it), and the parts between the themes each have an interesting feeling. This makes the piece fun to play.

It is very orchestral in feeling. And YOU are the entire orchestra!

I smile every time I play it. :D
__/^^^^^o>

Return to “Our recordings of Mauro Giuliani”