Isbin, Gilbert - Intervallic Composition I - M7/#5 - Video

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
RobMacKillop

Isbin, Gilbert - Intervallic Composition I - M7/#5 - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Belgian composer, Gilbert Isbin, has just given permission for his compositions to be recorded and shared on Delcamp. I like his music a lot, and he has composed 12 solos for me, using a plectrum, which will be published by Mel Bay later this year, and also ten fretless bass solos, again to be published later this year. But he has mainly been publishing music for Renaissance lute or classical guitar. See his website http://gilbertisbin.com for details and videos. His music brings together elements of classical, folk, jazz, and world musics. He is an excellent player himself.

He sent me this compositional study at the weekend, saying he was commencing a series of intervallic studies or compositions. As such, it's a lesson in restriction as well as creation. I would say it was an intermediate level piece, which would really open up a student's ears to two specific intervals, namely the major 7th and the flat 5. More Intervallic Compositions will follow. Eventually they will form an edition.

Guitar: Juan Hernandez "Luthier", D'Addario Normal Tension strings, 440 pitch, no-nails technique.

RobMacKillop

Re: Isbin, Gilbert - Intervallic Composition I - M7/#5

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Well, I like it ;-)

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 pm

I like it Rob. It's a well written study and you play it very sensitively. Thanks for sharing it!
James

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 am

Cheers, James. Appreciated.

Smith

Post by Smith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:30 pm

That was really great, Rob! I like meandering intervallic nature of this piece (the simplicity of 2 notes instead of the cacophony of chords).
Also like the general feel and especially the pace of this work. It makes me nostalgic for the 20th century! Haha. Lol.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:20 am

Haha, indeed. I know what you mean. It's as much a study game for composition students, but will also help guitarists get more familiar with the types of intervals that are in the more modern literature.

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”