Falk, Mårten - Skärv - Video

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
RobMacKillop

Falk, Mårten - Skärv - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Here's a wonderful new addition to the repertoire of the contemporary guitar. Mårten Falk is a member here, one of the finest guitarists on the scene today, and a composer to boot (so to speak - I'm not suggesting you boot him!).

There are three pages to the score. The first consist of small squares with some notation. I was to cut the page up, shuffle the squares, and play what turned out - a degree of chance was involved. Each time you play it, the squares are in a different order.

The second page consists of very quiet almost free stuff, with just basic instructions, interjected with some loud notes or chords, Bartok pizzicato, etc.

The third page combines straight notes and chords with notes that are bent up a quarter tone.

It's mostly very quiet, so headphones are recommended.

“Skärv consists of shards, splinters and fragments that may, or may not fit together. It describes a melancholy, pessimistic (even destructive) view of the music as remnants of something abandoned and unintelligible.” I'm delighted to report that I am the dedicatee of the work, and this is its first recording.

RobMacKillop

Re: Falk, Mårten - Skärv - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 pm

88 views and not one comment. And here was me thinking it might be a little controversial ;-)

It was fun to play. No requests for the score?

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 pm

Curious: how to protect your copyright on something random?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

tejjy

Post by tejjy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:24 am

I'm a sucker for a dare - and I'm very interested in this approach to music. So, yes, I would love a score. Cheers. Plus - a link to a website for him? Google's helpfulness is not helping me track him down...

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 am

I'll let him know.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 am

tejjy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:24 am
I'm a sucker for a dare - and I'm very interested in this approach to music. So, yes, I would love a score. Cheers. Plus - a link to a website for him? Google's helpfulness is not helping me track him down...
I am happy you are interested! You can download it (legally) here:
https://www.svenskmusik.org/sv/verk/skaerv-112603#other

tejjy

Post by tejjy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks heaps.

(This "distraction" will annoy my teacher enormously :D )

tejjy

Post by tejjy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am

Ok...I have a bunch of questions... I've never looked at this kind of notation before, well, not systematically, as a poetential player, at least.

1. For page 1, did you write something "continuous" and then break it? Or did you write the shards as shards? I'm just curious, it probably doesn't matter, but the alternative answers have different narrative possibilities.

2. I'm not sure about the "play as high as possible over the sound-hole" - watching Rob, it looks like he mutes the 6 strings over the sound hole and then gives them a good whack? One of the fragments the tail of the "note" covers 5 staff lines, in the other similar fragment it covers 3 and 4 staff lines respectively. I can watch Rob again to see how he implements this, but is that something agreed? Or interpreted? The length of the tails is also different.

3. On page 2, the "staff" frequently has three lines only. I can see what Rob plays, but I can't determine how much of that is his choice, and how much is constrained by the notation. Similarly, the angles of the note tails, their lengths, and the density of the spacings... I assume they're all to be implemented, in the performer's best efforts?

4. "Only sounds from left fo the finges will be heard" - is that "will" about physics? Or is it a requirement to be achieved by the performer?

I probably can think of more, but I'll start there. It's very cool. It's going on the list.

Cheers.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 pm

tejjy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am
Ok...I have a bunch of questions... I've never looked at this kind of notation before, well, not systematically, as a poetential player, at least.

1. For page 1, did you write something "continuous" and then break it? Or did you write the shards as shards? I'm just curious, it probably doesn't matter, but the alternative answers have different narrative possibilities.

2. I'm not sure about the "play as high as possible over the sound-hole" - watching Rob, it looks like he mutes the 6 strings over the sound hole and then gives them a good whack? One of the fragments the tail of the "note" covers 5 staff lines, in the other similar fragment it covers 3 and 4 staff lines respectively. I can watch Rob again to see how he implements this, but is that something agreed? Or interpreted? The length of the tails is also different.

3. On page 2, the "staff" frequently has three lines only. I can see what Rob plays, but I can't determine how much of that is his choice, and how much is constrained by the notation. Similarly, the angles of the note tails, their lengths, and the density of the spacings... I assume they're all to be implemented, in the performer's best efforts?

4. "Only sounds from left fo the finges will be heard" - is that "will" about physics? Or is it a requirement to be achieved by the performer?

I probably can think of more, but I'll start there. It's very cool. It's going on the list.

Cheers.
Ok, I will do my best to answer your questions:
1. I wrote them as shards. One little fragment at the time. As a matter of fact, I recently wrote a solo piano piece where I wrote it as a continuous piece, and then cut it to pieces...
2. Well the lengts of the arrows are not important, it is the head of the arrow that matters. I did actually intend those sounds as just one very high pitch where you press the string (maybe with a little bit of the left hand nail). Rob interpretated the sign a bit differently which is also ok...
3. I am not sure what you mean. On the last page, there are five staff lines and (almost) normal notation. Do you only see three staff lines on your computer or print?
4. Well if you dampen the strings "pizz" and then perform "hammer on" on the fretboard, the only sounds you will hear are from the part of the string that is left of the left hand fingers (very high pitched sounds).
I am happy that you are looking at my piece!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 pm

I'd like to add that there is an element of improv in such scores, and, it must be said, some ambiguity inherent in the notation. I felt I entered into the spirit of the piece. I look forward to other interpretations.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:47 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 pm
I'd like to add that there is an element of improv in such scores, and, it must be said, some ambiguity inherent in the notation. I felt I entered into the spirit of the piece. I look forward to other interpretations.
Absolutely!
There is very much to be said in this subject. I would only like to say very briefly that the pieces I have been writing in recent time (with some exceptions) are inspired by games: I provide material and "rules" and then I sit back and enjoy the different solutions that the musicians may come up with. This is quite far from the Genius cult of composers from Beethoven to Schönberg. I feel that I am just creating an incitament for an activity and if it turns out differently than I expected, it is quite interesting...

tejjy

Post by tejjy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 am

Thanks to both...

Clarifying the query about 3-line staffs (staves?), it was page 2 rather than page 3 I was referring to. Boxes 1,3,5,7,9,11; the visual aesthetic is in itself appealing - that might have been te determinant...

I'm just trying to get a feeling for the degree of improv - I'm sure, in one sense it doesn't matter, but it's nice to negotiate. Plus, ideas on interpretation are interesting as well. Knowledge is a community thing. As far as performance goes, I thought Rob's version was fantastic. It created something "serious" in that it was thought provoking & viscerally satisfying. It's very interesting to me how coherence is achieved from such a framework.

I've been turning over an idea of a composition based on Conways' "Life"; quite possible someone else already had this idea, but it's new to me :-)

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:24 am

tejjy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 am
Thanks to both...

Clarifying the query about 3-line staffs (staves?), it was page 2 rather than page 3 I was referring to. Boxes 1,3,5,7,9,11; the visual aesthetic is in itself appealing - that might have been te determinant...

I'm just trying to get a feeling for the degree of improv - I'm sure, in one sense it doesn't matter, but it's nice to negotiate. Plus, ideas on interpretation are interesting as well. Knowledge is a community thing. As far as performance goes, I thought Rob's version was fantastic. It created something "serious" in that it was thought provoking & viscerally satisfying. It's very interesting to me how coherence is achieved from such a framework.

I've been turning over an idea of a composition based on Conways' "Life"; quite possible someone else already had this idea, but it's new to me :-)
Ok, I see. Actually, I didn't mean those to be staffs, those are supposed to be beams... indicating a rapid speed.
As regards to impro: the second page definitely has much improvisatory elements, the third page improvisation in the rhythmic sense in the first line. Apart from that, I would suggest that one keeps to what is written...

tejjy

Post by tejjy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks, page 2 looks like the bigest challenge for me, we'll see

Return to “Our recordings of Members' Compositions”