O’Connell, Gary - Swag Rag

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
burtong
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: O’Connell, Gary - Swag Rag

Post by burtong » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:23 am

Really enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing. :bravo:

FellowPlayer
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Re: O’Connell, Gary - Swag Rag

Post by FellowPlayer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:16 am
FellowPlayer wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:05 am
Lawler wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:58 am
The playing does have a similar feel.
The writing or the playing? I never got into that thumb thing of Chet’s so this is surprising to hear.
For me the piece itself has an alternating bass and treble pattern that Chet Atkins and other musicians such as John Knowles, Muriel Anderson, Tommy Emmanuel, etc incorporate in their playing. Yes, a couple of them use a thumb pick, but the others don’t. I really enjoyed your playing and my Chet comment was meant as a sincere compliment!
Hi Jack. I knew your comment was very kind in nature and getting any compliment from a fellow player has a deeper significance to me. This Rag just required what it required and if it falls into that style I’m good with that. I welcome criticism and took some on my Mozart quintet arrangement here which will improve it. This site to me is about learning and enjoying too but we all would like to move things ahead and why we are here for the most part. There’s no ego here, not at 61. lol. So if you ever feel like needling me about anything, I welcome it.

FellowPlayer
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Re: O’Connell, Gary - Swag Rag

Post by FellowPlayer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:16 pm

burtong wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:23 am
Really enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing. :bravo:
I appreciate that, Burtong.

Jeremiah Lawson
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: O’Connell, Gary - Swag Rag

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 am

a teensy bit on the fast side so if you slow it down maybe even just 10% it will be in a great tempo. As Scott Joplin used to write, it's never right to play ragtime fast.

Something I'm curious about is you've thought of trying it absolutely straight duple. There's a lot of swing in this, which I don't mind because I love a lot of early jazz, but not all rag players put swing into their performances. The swing is cool but depending on what school of rag you want to play in it's not the only option. I think the strains you've got here could sound good either as is or in a straighter duple meter march style.

I like how the melodic interests shifts registers throughout.

Reza Chitsaz
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Friedberg

Re: O’Connell, Gary - Swag Rag

Post by Reza Chitsaz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 pm

really nice Rag :)
Composing for guitar is fun!

FellowPlayer
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Re: O’Connell, Gary - Swag Rag

Post by FellowPlayer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Jeremiah Lawson wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 am
a teensy bit on the fast side so if you slow it down maybe even just 10% it will be in a great tempo. As Scott Joplin used to write, it's never right to play ragtime fast.

Something I'm curious about is you've thought of trying it absolutely straight duple. There's a lot of swing in this, which I don't mind because I love a lot of early jazz, but not all rag players put swing into their performances. The swing is cool but depending on what school of rag you want to play in it's not the only option. I think the strains you've got here could sound good either as is or in a straighter duple meter march style.

I like how the melodic interests shifts registers throughout.
Hi, JL! Both of what you offered works and what I offered works as well. Slightly different flavours on the same piece. Fascinating stuff for sure. The tempo idea is always a challenge to me. Even playing the same piece at different venues live can dictate tempo which has always fascinated me.

FellowPlayer
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Re: O’Connell, Gary - Swag Rag

Post by FellowPlayer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Reza Chitsaz wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 pm
really nice Rag :)
Thank you Reza.

Return to “Our recordings of Members' Compositions”