Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Preludio en do menor - D07 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
ricstang

Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Preludio en do menor - D07 Video

Post by ricstang » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:54 am

I humbly offer some Barrios to you all.

:merci: for :casque:

sniggl

Re: Barrios Mangore, Agustin - Preludio en do menor

Post by sniggl » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:06 am

:merci: liked it very much! :casque:
I have allways some problems with my plump fingers with some chords in this piece,
but you have so wonderful thin fingers...I am envious... :D

Stefan
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

Vesuvio

Re: Barrios Mangore, Agustin - Preludio en do menor

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:11 am

Good morning Ric,

What a pleasure to find your Barrios on this otherwise cheerless, damp, dark northern UK morning!

Thank you so much, I really enjoyed your interpretation,

Best wishes, V :D :merci: :bravo:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

SAB

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Preludio in C Minor

Post by SAB » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Ric,

I've always loved this piece, for me it's the consummate example for the language of music being the expression of emotion.

You've played this wonderfully and your performance is filled with the soulful emotion that is demanded by the piece.

:bravo:

Sab

owl

Post by owl » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Thank you Ric, for sharing a beautiful Barrios piece
I like Sab's description of 'soulful'... that's precisely what you portray here
A lovely version Ric... as always it's a pleasure to listen to you play :casque:

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

ricstang

Post by ricstang » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks for watching everyone! :merci: This piece does strike a soulful note inside me somewhere, and I'm glad that came across (and that you can look past my missed notes to hear it!)

sandy

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Preludio en do menor - D07 Vid

Post by sandy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:34 am

I've been playing this piece for amost a year, a very difficult one for my short fingers. However, I really liked your performance which is very clear, yet moving and sensitive. Very well done.

Ted O'Farrell

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Preludio en do menor - D07 Video

Post by Ted O'Farrell » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:58 am

Beautifully played! Thank you :bravo:
Ted

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 pm

To those complaining about your fingers, what have fingers to do with music, expression, interpretation and resilience as far as learning and interpreting a piece is concerned? Did Segovia have perfect fingers. Does Mr Macalister have perfect fingers? It is the soul that matters and your will to express the music inside you that matters.

Guitar Maniac

Post by Guitar Maniac » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:56 am

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 pm
To those complaining about your fingers, what have fingers to do with music, expression, interpretation and resilience as far as learning and interpreting a piece is concerned? Did Segovia have perfect fingers. Does Mr Macalister have perfect fingers? It is the soul that matters and your will to express the music inside you that matters.
In fact, having short fingers inhibits your physical capability to play some chords correctly as the composer had written. For example, some stretches in Barrios's Mazurka Appasionata (you can never play it properly as long as your fingers are not long enough and there is no workaround at all for the stretches in this specific piece), the monstrous stretch in Choro da Saudade (the only workaround is to bring your left thumb to the front of the fret board and using it to barre the 1st fret while your pinky is at 6th fret, your middle and ring finger are somewhere at 3rd fret)

The transcription of Segovia for Bach's Chaconne has also a similar stretch from 1st fret to 6th and many guitarists who play / played that version have to choose to move up to higher position even if they have pretty long or decent long fingers

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:35 am

I accept this point. But in percentage how much does this material represent the total output of music written for cg? A solution to this problem can easily be, on the other hand, a smaller guitar. Nobody says a guitar has to be 650 by all means. Nowadays, many outstanding luthiers produce smaller instruments with no sound/volume deficit at all, and if anybody argues otherwise they have to prove they can tell a smaller instrument from a 650 one in a blind test. So, my argument is perfectly valid. 99% of people don't have any problem playing a normal guitar. It is the training and will to overcome obstacles that makes a pro a pro and a nagging person a nagging person.

Guitar Maniac

Post by Guitar Maniac » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:24 am

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:35 am
I accept this point. But in percentage how much does this material represent the total output of music written for cg? A solution to this problem can easily be, on the other hand, a smaller guitar. Nobody says a guitar has to be 650 by all means. Nowadays, many outstanding luthiers produce smaller instruments with no sound/volume deficit at all, and if anybody argues otherwise they have to prove they can tell a smaller instrument from a 650 one in a blind test. So, my argument is perfectly valid. 99% of people don't have any problem playing a normal guitar. It is the training and will to overcome obstacles that makes a pro a pro and a nagging person a nagging person.
Barrios is supposed to play a small guitar with much shorter scale length (looks like the same size as an acoustic guitar on his greyscale portrait picture in which he held his guitar), plus he had massive hands with very long fingers, that might be the reason he often composed pieces with monstrous stretches because he had no problem playing them with those two conditions. And weren't a lot of great pieces composed by Barrios himself?

On the other hand, you can't always go out and buy/order a shorter scale length guitar rather than the standard 650mm & 52mm neck. In many countries, many markets where that smaller option is not available, you have two choices: order from a foreign shop and hope there will be no issue with shipping or you even have to order a custom made one and wait for at least 1 year (if you're lucky that you're the 1st in the order list) or more...

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:03 pm

Very nice interpretation of a great piece!

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”