Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral II Andante - D09 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
hav

Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral II Andante - D09 Video

Post by hav » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:14 am

Ok - pass 2 done so I'll post it onthe forums - maybe I'll get more and batter critique if I post it here instead of asking folks to visit the junk page for it.

This is just a couple of days after the baselline and I'm trying some different fingerings that tomc suggested - so still very lame. But, anyway - any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated - and be mean!! not just "nice" etc.

I used the Hernandez on this pass and I don't really care for its tone high up - and the new noise reduction doesn't seem to work as well on the hernandez recordings as it does on the cedar - so I'll probably go back to the cedar in the future for this one.

I also played this pass a bit faster than I will probably do in the future.

Oh well - not REALLY ready for public consumption but I really would like some critique -- for example...

1. I really have trouble getting good separation when playing several bass notes - I GUESS this is just poor RH technique but maybe someone has some little hint that will help me get it better under control.

2. it STILL does not capture the feel of "Religioso" - I know - I know - and I must just be thick - but what do you think I can do to accomplish that change??

etc. etc. etc. -- ok - well - anyway... for what it is worth...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 pm

hav, I really enjoyed watching you play, again. Thank you.

I don't have many suggestions for you. You play very well. I would personally take more time with the chord changes.

You know when Segovia said the guitar is an orchestra seen through the wrong side of a binocular... I think this piece could be a great example to support that statement. I imagine a great symphony orchestra playing this. Wow, what grand sound.

Well done Hav. Thank you for playing.

tomc

Post by tomc » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:53 pm

Wow Horace, You're whittling more off that 18 year lay-off yet. If there is something I've noticed throughout these 2 years of videos you've put up the ease in the hands is undeniably coming back but if you're not pleased with something and it shows when you're not on your face, you start to disconnect somewhat from the music. Objectively it is noticeably much more legato and yes the tempo is a bit rushed at the short stage of developement you have with this piece but it's better. Couldn't make that quick bar on the double struck chords work eh? Maybe if you practiced them lower down the neck at first as that really is where some sacrifice of the legato was made but I thought it was really well-done. You make headway so rapidly. What's not to like about that? Oh the religioso. well you can't worry about that until the notes are well under your fingers. It would be like wanting the fruit when only the blossoms are present.

mike_hudson

Post by mike_hudson » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:19 pm

Well, it is said that "Ignorance is bliss" and I am truly blissful :casque: :applauso: :applauso: :bravo: Not to be "nice" but it is sometimes very nice just to sit back and enjoy the music - thanks hav. Mike

owl

Post by owl » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 pm

tomc wrote:Oh the religioso. well you can't worry about that until the notes are well under your fingers. It would be like wanting the fruit when only the blossoms are present.
Well said Tom :D

Joy in the music
Owl
Last edited by owl on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

hav

Post by hav » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:58 pm

Thanks y'all - yes - more legato is regiored for sure - I had made note of the lack of chord sustain prior to putting tis one up - just foprgot to mention it in the post -- and yeah tomc - I have practiced the barres a bit but (not sure if you can tell) but I decided at the instant of playing this one that I would skip the double strike and go with the no-barre fingring in that vid -- I worked the other fingering changes a bit more and the barres in the double strikes were just the last step and not as solidly in place yet.

I'm really jacked about the lack of sustain in my dern guitars!!! The hernandez has GRREAT sustain lower on the neck but, up high, notes just die immediately - I mean even when I just sit and try to make a note sustain up high, it just dies as if damped - I really think there is a setup issue involved.

And the cedar, though a nice production guitar, just does not have great sustain in general -- it has ok tone (even up high) but not the sustain that the Andante really seems to demand.

Oh well - still, I think I'll stick with the cedar in the future for this.

I'll bother y'all again once I practice it a bit more. Thanks again!

tomc

Post by tomc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:18 am

So what you're saying is you think the quick bar is what you're gonig to use but it wasn't ready yet?

hav

Post by hav » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:24 am

yeah - I think I'll switch over to the barres -- I have been using them but the initial chord just felt weak and I had one of those spur of the moment self-arguments not to try them while pushing the tempo in that vid :grire:

I have a LOT of these arguments with myself as I play - especially when playing a fairly new piece --- I mean - a LOT ---- I mean - someone listening to my self-jabber as I play would S W E A R that there were 3 of 4 different people involved :grire: :grire: :grire:

tomc

Post by tomc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:42 am

There are. I never play alone! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by tomc on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BFGuitar

Post by BFGuitar » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:50 am

I love the pipe
What ya got in there? Wacky tabbaci? :p

hav

Post by hav » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

heh heh - well - no - my "Wacky tabbaci" days (what there were of them) were longer ago than many of the forum members have even been alive I'm afraid (which IS, actually, a quite frightening thought!! :shock:)

... :roll: though, admittedly, my playing MIGHT well suggest otherwise - at least at times :grire:

These days it's justy boring stuff like Stokkebye Luxury Flake, Ashton Pebblecut or Perterson University Flake (I think I even said that stuff in some other post long long ago or something :grire:)
Last edited by hav on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomc

Post by tomc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:08 am

What no MacBarren's Latakia?

hav

Post by hav » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:10 am

I enjoy various Latakia blends - yeah - but Dena HATED them :grire: so I just pretty much stopped smoking them.

BFGuitar

Post by BFGuitar » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:46 am

How old are you hav :P
Im 17 (turning 18 soon!)

Trystramys

Post by Trystramys » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am

nicely played! i can't think of anything to improve your playing except that you should maybe enjoy playing the piece instead of looking for the mistakes. :D

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”