Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
wchymeUS

Post by wchymeUS » Tue May 16, 2006 4:26 am

Overall better as I got your feeling of control in the beginning and back at the end. Overall it's great, a real nice piece to listen to. I mean the interpretation.

If I have one comment, I'd say that I like the intent with your volume modulations. That's good, but you seem to rush those passages as if increasing volume forces you to increase speed. I may be totally wrong though, it's just a feeling. If you have the patience for perfection, you could listen to you recording with a metronome and see if you stick to the tempo...

Now I'm waiting for rev 5 :D

:casque: :casque: :casque: :casque:

hav

Post by hav » Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 am

Thanks wchymeUS - yeah - I replaced the trebles on the spruce so I was just dinking around with the cedar and went ahead and recorded a pass -- I just replaced pass 4 with 4a which is really just a second attempt at cleaning the recording.

I think I did do those vol & tempo increases as you said - actually, I probably won't really keep (all of) the changes in this pass - for example, I particularly don't like the speed up/slow down just prior to the DC al Coda -- that was just sort of an experiment to see what a tempo and volume change there would do.

Anyway - yes - I hope pass 5 will be a final so I can put this to bed and get back to some of the others more seriously :grire:

toma

Post by toma » Tue May 16, 2006 8:14 pm

You guys are so good players and musicians. I have to practice a bit before I possible could comment. Still I´m truly greatful for this opportunity to learn by listening in on the sessions.
Last edited by toma on Wed May 17, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mark34

Post by mark34 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:31 pm

Hi Hav,

your latest version is very good. Very nice rubato-feeling. You have great sound !!! There were some really lovely roundly, smoothly played notes.

:bravo:

Mark

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed May 17, 2006 1:30 am

I'm new here, but I'm constantly amazed by the level of playing of the members here. Your piece sounds wonderful.

Since you ask for comments about tempo, my impression is that this is just a bit slow. I can't pinpoint where or by how much, and others have given you good tips, but it's almost right for me. Checking some of my other recordings, I find your overall time is within about 15 seconds of them, so I can't back up my gut feeling. Perhaps it's a variation of tempo that makes the slower parts feel slower, and so affect the overall impression of the piece. Listening again, I can't really even justify what I've written, except it does slow noticeably at the end. Hmm. Wow. Was that even helpful?

Lovely. Thank you for sharing that.

Brent

hav

Post by hav » Thu May 18, 2006 1:34 am

thanks toma, mark34 and Brent -- mark34 - I feel a little foolish having folks like you and soooo many others review my attempts knowing how remarkabky well y'all play - thanks for taking the time to review the stuff!!

And Brent - I agree with you, This pass I did slow down and added about 10-15 seconds to the performance. And I did try to drop the tempo back to the opening tempo at the end. This pass really was just to play around with both tempo and volume in several places to see what it would yield. ery perceptive of you!! Thanks for paying such close attention - I really do appreciate it.

jarods

Post by jarods » Thu May 18, 2006 5:39 am

hello HAv , i listened to your pass 4a
:okok: , i just noticed the passage 1'30-->1'36 where you are a little too quick...i would think decrease speed a little, but to increase sound is a good think...

hav

Post by hav » Sat May 20, 2006 4:54 am

Hey jarods - thanks for taking the time to review the update -- I agree 100% :okok: -- there are actually several places I don't really care for the tempo in this one (same with volume) maybe I'll try a final update this weekend- if I have a day where I feel free enough to just play.

Matt Molloy

Post by Matt Molloy » Sat May 20, 2006 9:48 am

That sounded great Hav. Another triumph and another lovely bit of playing to start my day off.

:merci:

That, with good coffee and the sound up. There are probably other ways to start the day but I hope not. :D

Cheers,

Matt.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitar: James Lister 2009 SP/MP.

hav

Post by hav » Mon May 22, 2006 6:32 pm

thanks Matt - I should have made sure my coffee cup showed in the vid :oops: guess I missed on this one :grire:

btb

Post by btb » Mon May 22, 2006 8:58 pm

It keeps getting better and better :okok: i can tell your really feeling the song the longer you work on it, your use of rubato really makes it shine.

Thanks for these updates.. :casque:

hav

Post by hav » Sun May 28, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks y'all - I was looking back at some ot the old posts (and old posters - some of which we've not heard from in a while) and realized that I had not responded to comments on several of the things I posted - so - lazy memorial day weekend Sunday afternoon - I'll respond now - I probably did read the comments way back when - sorry to be late in responding.

thanks bumpa - I really should do a final update - will next time I feel up to recording and all the conversions blah blah blah :grire:

hav

Post by hav » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:08 pm

Ok :cafe: I'm getting bored with this piece for now and, since, apparently, I can never make it through a recording without soooome kind of mistake, I'll just make this a final update. Probably better that the previous versions in some ways - maybe worse in others. Certainly there are two really noticable fulbs - one RH - the other LH :nerveux:

I'll post the non-reverb version here - but there is a version with a little studio reverb on the junk page for this take http://www.hav.com/junk/videos_06-03-06/ - the studio reverb probably helps to compensate for the dern 8-bit 22K recording from the webcam audio but not much - and the encoding from avi to wmv causes the reverb in the wmv to sound a litle nasty to my ears anyway.

I used the Hernandez this time, btw.

the older passes are still available in the junk pages... http://www.hav.com/junk/videos_05-15-06/

jarods

Post by jarods » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:38 pm

good stuff hav ! errors are inevitable , your julia florida is just fine
:bravo:

steve4ri

Post by steve4ri » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:56 pm

Wow! Great interpretation! You play this wonderfully. :bravo:

Steve

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”