Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
012abc

Re: Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Post by 012abc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Hello, I'm interested in the pattern appraoch of Segovia scales. With my introduction message, this one should be the second one.
Cheers.

012abc

Post by 012abc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Useful documents for scales practice.

Thanks !

earthshaker

Post by earthshaker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Brad Little wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:23 pm
In the 70s, one of my teachers gave me a rotation that used every pattern daily and by the end of a week had played every scale at least once. I may still have this pattern table hanging on the wall in my practice area somewhere. He also had a pattern that got me through all of the Giuliani RH studies in a weekly schedule.
Brad
I´m curious to know what the rotation was and do you think it was an effective way to learn?

JeffreyWilt

Post by JeffreyWilt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 pm

David, thank you for your comments made to Simon Powis' Classical Guitar Corner on the Segovia Scales, which just now drew me to your original post (almost eight years later!). I've never worked with the Segovia Scales and am looking forward to doing so!
GFA
NYC Classical Guitar Society
NJ Classical Guitar Society
2017 Garrett Lee #65
2007 John Price, RIP (Murdered by JetBlue)

jamesvd

Post by jamesvd » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:16 am

Thanks for these valuable materials and comments. I think they are quite more interesting than the ABRSM scales I am looking into at the moment :merci:

David

Post by David » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:31 am

James

Thank you for your kind comments. The patterns were originally taught to me by my 1st teacher, Werner Ruecker the mid-80s.

I noticed we received lots of questions about scales & I thought I’d update what Werner taught me. I’m pleased that people find them useful.

All the best,

David
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

cjacoby78

Post by cjacoby78 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:21 am

I just found this post a I started to notice the same patterns coming again and again. C major (ionion) = D Dorian = A minor (aeolian) = G myxolydian etc. So I am eager to discover David's documents. Is it wise to consider these as being equivalent (pattern wise) - one of my collegues who is a decent player keeps telling me, I should learn the 7 modes of the major scale, each with its own pattern ... ?

15070p3

Post by 15070p3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:34 am

cjacoby78 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:21 am
I just found this post a I started to notice the same patterns coming again and again. C major (ionion) = D Dorian = A minor (aeolian) = G myxolydian etc. So I am eager to discover David's documents. Is it wise to consider these as being equivalent (pattern wise) - one of my collegues who is a decent player keeps telling me, I should learn the 7 modes of the major scale, each with its own pattern ... ?
You may find these helpful too:

http://www.fretjam.com/guitar-intervals.html
http://www.fretjam.com/guitar-intervals-fretboard.html
https://bestbluesguitarlessonsonline.co ... -intervals
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - - Shakespeare

cjacoby78

Post by cjacoby78 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:03 am

Thanks a lot indeed - the fretjam.com site seems quite nice. I also bought the "guitar theory for dummies" book - which I recommend.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”