D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:59 pm

ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
[media]https://youtu.be/Z-XXLufMYQc[/media]
Cordoba C9
Kenny Hill Ruck Model 2003

Stephen Jessup

Post by Stephen Jessup » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Hello people, I have a question about the "golpe". What is the correct technique? When I do it it's like I'm just thumping my guitar, which I don't want to do because it's new and I like it! Which part of hand is used and how hard do you hit? I always treat my guitar with so much care so my first reaction to the golpe is "Do I have to hit my guitar?!" :)

Stephen Jessup

Post by Stephen Jessup » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Andrei, very good job with A TOYE! Well done. Seemed a pretty flawless performance to me :D

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi,Stephen Jessup,
"Golpe" technique is explained in this good quality video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRZZKfhDc_I

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Well done.
Good tempo,rhythm,melody.Good posture,lighting,video audio quality.
I watched it many times to check and compare it with the music sheet.I see different left hand finger position for measure 5.
Can you explain, what is your repeat cycle following the brackets over measure 4 and measure 5.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Stephen Jessup wrote:Hello people, I have a question about the "golpe". What is the correct technique? When I do it it's like I'm just thumping my guitar, which I don't want to do because it's new and I like it! Which part of hand is used and how hard do you hit? I always treat my guitar with so much care so my first reaction to the golpe is "Do I have to hit my guitar?!" :)
You could also do it like M. Delcamp does it in the lesson video, i.e. make a fist, and hit the upper bout with the middle knuckles, like you would knock on a door. I guess that's easier on the finish than using the tip of the finger (especially for those with nails). Obviously you don't want to hit the guitar too hard.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:19 pm

Stephen, Zafar, thank you for your feedback!
I see different left hand finger position for measure 5
Do you mean the second part of the piece? I believe I followed the notation consistently:
F#: finger 2 on string 1
E: no fingers
D: finger 3 on string 2
B: no fingers
G: finger 3 on string 1
Can you explain, what is your repeat cycle following the brackets over measure 4 and measure 5.
Well, it is exactly as you described in your sheet breakdown:
Cordoba C9

Stephen Jessup

Post by Stephen Jessup » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks Zafar for the video link. It isn't exactly the technique shown in Soleares video though. I'm wondering if M.Delcamp hit the guitar in that spot because it's a stronger part of the guitar body; the guy stated in that video that unless you have a flamenco guitar (or have some protection) you could well put a hole in the guitar, thus the safer option of tapping the sturdier part of the guitar body....
I'm only guessing, but that would make sense to me.

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:32 pm

Do I have to hit my guitar?!
No! I simply skip the golping. When it comes time to learn golping techniques I'll find a guitar with a protective plate. Why risking damage my guitar just for a one shot thing at the end of a song!

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Yesterday, I watched your video several time to identify what I noticed in measure 5, finger placements but unable to identify it,why I see it different than the music sheet?.Today morning,I watched it in slow speed for measure 5, most is alright.Just check yourself if you strike note "D" instead of "G natural".Rest is all fine.

Jeremy Gillard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi Zafar:

I watched Andrei's posting of A Toye so I could figure out what you were talking about! :) Andrei is playing the correct G note. You can hear the note is correct as well as seeing it.

As for Andrei's "A Toye", it is well done. Good job! :) You have it down well.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi, Jeremy Gillard
Exactly, what I saw in the 5th measure.You show it more clear in an image. Thanks.
All clear,Andrei.good job,good playing.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Wow, did not expect such a thorough analysis of my work :) I appreciate your efforts doing this. Two lessons learned:
1) there is no chance to slack or cheat, it'll get noticed! So, practice as mush as possible to make performances flawless.
2) need better video and audio quality.
Cordoba C9

Stephen Jessup

Post by Stephen Jessup » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:30 am

Chu Bun wrote:No! I simply skip the golping. When it comes time to learn golping techniques I'll find a guitar with a protective plate. Why risking damage my guitar just for a one shot thing at the end of a song!
Good advice Chu Bun, you make good points. However, I will go as far as tapping the edge of the guitar similarly to how M.Delcamp does it - but just not too hard! I can be a bit ham fisted sometimes though so I need to be careful....or not do it at all....oh decisions! :)

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:58 am

Finally, I made it. Still some hiccups and imperfections, but that's the best I could do at this moment.

SOLEARES
[media]https://youtu.be/7PH62TmanSk[/media]
By the way, I changed some fingering:
Falseta 4 measure 1 left hand: play F - A with fingers 3 - 2 rather than 3 - 1 which I find more natural
Falseta 6 measure 1 right hand: play measure 1 as i - m - i rather than m - i - m which is more natural after muting all strings from last measure of the previous falseta (p on 6th string, i on 3rd, m on 2nd, a on 1st). So, "i" is already on string #3 ready to go. This is especially handy when you do apoyando. And I noticed the professor does the same :)
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”