D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jeremy Gillard

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:29 am

Hi Andrei:

Your Soleares is great. I've not even learned the whole song yet at a slow tempo and you already have it down and up to speed in less than a week. Good Job.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Well done.
For study assignment "SOLEARES".
Good tempo,Rhythm, melody.Good video audio ,lighting,posture quality.
Your high "E" notes sound, felt stronger and dominant over base notes.

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Jeremy, Zafar, thank you for your valuable feedback!
Your high "E" notes sound, felt stronger and dominant over base notes.
I see what you mean. I'm still experimenting with my nail shapes to produce warmer tone. Currently it sounds bad, too metallic and thin. May be if I played it a bit quieter/softer the tone would be more even. Another thing is the position of the right hand being perpendicular to the strings. Turning it a little changes the tone, but I believe that the perpendicular position is the right one for CG and I'm going to stick with it. So, now I need to figure out what nail shape/length gives the best result.
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:13 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:... I believe that the perpendicular position is the right one for CG and I'm going to stick with it...
If you watch younger players, most pluck the strings at an angle. For example:
https://youtu.be/L_PeJ9MWtNM?t=3734

You can find quite a few articles/clips about the right-hand attack angle on-line. Personally, I find it quite hard to keep a straight wrist and plug the strings at an angle.

Jeremy Gillard

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:29 am

I'm also in the "angle" camp for how to strike the strings. I like to keep my wrist straight in line with my arm. (as much as possible) It's better for the tendons. :)
But, the guitar helps!!!

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:43 am

Jeremy Gillard wrote:I'm also in the "angle" camp for how to strike the strings. I like to keep my wrist straight in line with my arm. (as much as possible) It's better for the tendons. :)
Interesting, for me 90-degree is the most relaxed and natural position, I can play hours like that. Never felt any tension in the right hand. Actually, even greatest guitarists like Andres Segovia, John Williams, Julian Bream (to some extent), Christopher Parkening and many others play like this. And this canonical way is recommended by most guitar schools.
Chu Bun wrote: If you watch younger players, most pluck the strings at an angle. For example:
https://youtu.be/L_PeJ9MWtNM?t=3734
That's true, I watched this competition :) Well, it looks like the position is also determined by one's anatomy. I'm not sure if there is any correlation between age and angle, but that would be an interesting observation :)
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 pm

It's not really age, but rather when you learn to play. "Old school" folks (Segovia, Bream, ... you, and me) play with a bent wrist and straight attack angle. But modern methods seem to advocate straight wrist and slanted attack angle. I think the straight wrist makes sense and am trying to adopt it.

I'm way behind on this month assignments. Luckily the Soleares piece is very similar to Malaguena in term of fingering and rhythm. Most of my choking points are at measures with tricky dampings. Hopefully, I won't need 50 takes on this one.

Stephen Jessup

Post by Stephen Jessup » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:46 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote: Well, it looks like the position is also determined by one's anatomy. I'm not sure if there is any correlation between age and angle, but that would be an interesting observation :)
I agree. I don't think you can really impose a "you must play with wrist/hand/arm in this position" theology on people - everyone is different. One player might find one position comfortable, but another find it very uncomfortable. Yes, there are foundational principles that should be followed, but people all develop their own playing style after a while. Same with fingering - I don't always follow M.Delcamps suggested fingering as sometimes it simply isn't natural to me, so I play it with fingering natural to me. I have heard pro guitarists say that it is better to find your own fingering, as everyone is built differently and is unique, another persons fingering might not be as easy or make much sense to another person.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:08 am

Chu Bun wrote:
I'm way behind on this month assignments. Luckily the Soleares piece is very similar to Malaguena in term of fingering and rhythm. Most of my choking points are at measures with tricky dampings. Hopefully, I won't need 50 takes on this one.
For me it probably took more than 50 takes. I played it well when not in front of camera, but once you know that you are recorded it makes you play much worse and make silly mistakes! I wonder how guitarists are able to play so perfectly in front of huge audiences given only one attempt. Looks like it is the result of A LOT of practice... Or playing without warm up. See Christopher Parkening performance of Koyunbaba (easy to find on Youtube): first he talks a lot and then starts playing a difficult piece perfectly with zero warm up. That amazes me...
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:00 am

My guess is to them the difficult level of these pieces is like doing a scale to us. They are probably thinking more about the artistic rather than the technical aspects of the piece being played.
Apparently your cameraman (or woman) has a much steady hold of the camera now. She must have lots of practice!
Here are my submissions for this month. Please give advice.

[media]https://youtu.be/9JgwFrrQaDM[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/wP3fmfLkDCE[/media]

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi, Chu Bun,
Well done. Very pleasant presentations.You are well on your way achieving the cg goals.
Study assignments "ATOYE", "SOLEARES"
Good tempo,Rhythm,melody.
Good audio,video,lighting,posture quality.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My guess is to them the difficult level of these pieces is like doing a scale to us. They are probably thinking more about the artistic rather than the technical aspects of the piece being played.
Yeah, I see, that makes sense. Maybe we could also be like that if practiced every day from childhood under supervision of a good teacher and having much love for the guitar.
Chu Bun wrote: Apparently your cameraman (or woman) has a much steady hold of the camera now. She must have lots of practice!
Haha, that's true! I also tried to automate the process by attaching the camera to the lamp standing in front of me, that worked well, but as I remember the submission recording was made by my wife.
Chu Bun wrote: Here are my submissions for this month. Please give advice.
Congratulations! No mistakes, all notes are played properly. I'd also like to second Zafar's evaluation of your work.
But I still think there are areas for improvement:
1. ATOYE.
a) double apoyando with the thumb/non-thumb is not synchronous sometimes (please inform me about the proper term for this phenomenon):
- p -> {ima}: measure 1 (at 0:01, 0:11), measures 6-7 (at 0:29, 0:33), measure 14 (at 0:47)
- m -> p: measure 11 (at 0:39)
b) missing dampings (0:09, 0:18, 0:46). But in most cases you do them alright

2. SOLEARES.
tempo: speed up at 0:35 (Falseta 3), then coming back to the normal tempo.
Other than that it sounds very good :)
Cordoba C9

Jeremy Gillard

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Chu Bun & Andrei Puhach

You guys are doing very well! I'm going to be embarrassed to post in comparison! :) Excellent work.

Chu, the only thing I really noticed was your tempo not consistent in some places in Soleares as Andrei noted. Other than that, basically flawless! What are you going to keep busy with for the next few weeks until the next lessons are posted? Since you have these pieces down quite well.
But, the guitar helps!!!

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Jeremy Gillard wrote:What are you going to keep busy with for the next few weeks until the next lessons are posted? Since you have these pieces down quite well.
Well, I'll keep working on my 3 favorite pieces where I have difficulties with some fragments:
1. Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen arranged by Maxim Chigintsev. I think this is the the best and most beautiful guitar arrangement in the world (I listened to a lot of them).
2. Ave Maria by Shubert arranged by Chet Atkins. It has some difficult passages and a lot of barres, but I feel like I can cope with them.
3. Romance D'Amour (anonymous).

And I also follow a Russian self-education guitar school by Andrey Nosov. I'm only ~1/3 through the lessons, but it already gave me good foundation, habits and basic skills. Pretty solid, well-rounded and complete course.
Cordoba C9

Stephen Jessup

Post by Stephen Jessup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Andrei Puhach - good job on Soleares. Well done, you play well! I think your playing seems very natural and effortless.

Chu Bun - you did very well on those submissions. Well done, you said you were behind on these pieces so I'm impressed you've got them down so well!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”