D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Haris Karachristianidis

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Thank you Rick!
No, I am not doing D05 this year, but since I am off time in D04 I think I will not manage to make D05 next year in one year.

I don't know if I will make new recordings, I started learning the pieces of lesson 4 (although I told I will skip it).
a more relaxed tempo
When I record I am much more relaxed comparing to the 1st year, but stress is still here..

EmmanuelVankerschaver

Post by EmmanuelVankerschaver » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Haris, Rick, my deepest respect for your performances !!!
:bravo:

Haris, listening to your Prelude I think I detected a reading mistake in Measure 6 (and every time that Aminor comes back...).
Like me last year you are playing an 'F' rather than an 'E'. I missed that by the fingering tip and the 'logical' place for the third finger to be on the third fret ...

Quick question on the sheet music of Le Streghe out of curiosity: I do understand the parts of the repeat, but when the music calls for 'DC al majore' how does one know whether that repeat should be repeated (or not) the 2nd time around ?

Rain is predicted for the coming days even here near San Francisco - that could open a window to submit some more from my side.
Emmanuel

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:39 pm

EmmanuelVankerschaver wrote:Quick question on the sheet music of Le Streghe out of curiosity: I do understand the parts of the repeat, but when the music calls for 'DC al majore' how does one know whether that repeat should be repeated (or not) the 2nd time around ?

Rain is predicted for the coming days even here near San Francisco - that could open a window to submit some more from my side.
Emmanuel
Thanks, and great question Emmanuel. I wondered the same thing when I looked closer at the score to answer the earlier question and the comment by Carl. I went by other performances I had heard, mentioned previously. Marko, care to share any insights?

We expect rain through the weekend here in the NW. Having just moved from SoCal, I am loving it! Great weather for practicing too, as you say.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:37 pm

EmmanuelVankerschaver wrote: Quick question on the sheet music of Le Streghe out of curiosity: I do understand the parts of the repeat, but when the music calls for 'DC al majore' how does one know whether that repeat should be repeated (or not) the 2nd time around ?
Always neglect repeats the second time around.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:23 am

EmmanuelVankerschaver wrote:Haris, Rick, my deepest respect for your performances !!!

Haris, listening to your Prelude I think I detected a reading mistake in Measure 6 (and every time that Aminor comes back...).
Like me last year you are playing an 'F' rather than an 'E'. I missed that by the fingering tip and the 'logical' place for the third finger to be on the third fret ...
Emmanuel, thank you for comment!

And thank you for correction. Sometimes I learn something wrong in the beginning and it remains so although I play the piece from the sheet every time..
And not only that, I listened to Carl's Prelude mp3 and measure 6 (and all A minors) sounded wrong to me comparing it to mine wrong version and commented it as Carl's mistake :oops:
Sorry Carl, I edited my post.

EmmanuelVankerschaver

Post by EmmanuelVankerschaver » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:45 pm

Please find below my first two submissions for this lesson
Thx for listening

Carulli / Prelude No7 Opus 114
It was either this SLOOOWWW but reasonably accurate version or a more up to speed version (in line with the other submissions) but with many more hesitations and mistakes ...
[media]https://youtu.be/Q86RjMkq4ZM[/media]

Paganini / Ghiribizzo 17 (Le Streghe)
I love(d) playing this piece, especially when my kids tim-tim-tum-tum-di-di along when I play it in honor of my wife :twisted:
Usually don't play the minore part and (as you'll notice) never make it to the last repeat ...
[media]https://youtu.be/ueZS3FXWqDc[/media]

Morin / Petite Etude
Made a few attempts at recording this, but can't get to have both the pull-offs and the harmonics working in the same recording ... :?
Battery of the mac ran out so I'll have to recharge before I can attempt again ...
[EDIT]A few hours later I choose a version with 'working' harmonics:
[media]https://youtu.be/DmXubz1vpHQ[/media]

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:52 am

Nice work Emmanuel. I liked your Carulli Prelude. My only comment is again to pay attention to damping your basses.

On Petit Etude, I am not sure that you had some reading errors that were repeated, or just flubs in your recording, but take a close look at the notes you are playing in M5, 6, 7 11, 17, 24, & 25. As I said, on the repeat you seemed to get some of these right, so maybe you have the right notes and just missed them.

I am glad you enjoyed Le Streghe. I hated playing it! You did a nice job until you gave up on the Minore section (my favorite part by the way. Heres a few observations. The first section is nearly perfect. I would just try a little more staccato, taking note of all those 8th note rests. In the second section, look closely at your notes in M17. I think you have a reading error. Also when you strum the notes of the chord in M 18,20 and 20, you are strumminn 4 or 5 strings, but the chord calls for only 3 strings. I know you are still working on perfecting the minore section, but pay close attention to your rhythm here. Count out each beat to make sure you are playing it correctly. 1+e 2+e...

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to hearing Lesson 4 and 5.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Emmanuel, your recordings are nice!
I like Carulli Prelude. As Rick says, you should add dampings in your playing.
The major part of Ghiribizzo is nice, but the bass should have the same duration as the upper note of it. So you should quickly damp it.
The harmonics of Petite Etude were difficult for me to, very often they didn't sound. Your recording of this piece is nice, just take a look at the measures Rick mentions, it seems they are some small reading errors there.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”