D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Lucian Bistreanu

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:54 pm
HI Tom - it has been a slow work in progress. I have been trying to break the Eccossaise into small chunks so that I get the fingerings right and they are better than a week ago. For each section I try to listen to your and Lucian's recording and match them and, funny, to my ear they are close but when I listen to them on the recoding they are way off. I am using a metronome on the slurs to slow them down. Let's see what this sounds like in 4 or 5 days.

Ed
Hi Ed,
I agree with Tom, considering the time you spend away from the guitar you are doing well. I am still struggling with Sor's lessons, you are more advanced with those.
But it's about Ecossaise that I want to tell you how I managed to play it (it's still work in progress but I'm rather pleased with it for now). For the first time I used the STEP PRACTICE by Douglas Niedt, you can find it on his website, and I'm under impression that method helped me learning faster than usually. Playing slowly, and not passing to the next note until not playing correctly (or almost :) ) the preceding notes. You can give it a try, maybe it will help you too.
And, maybe trying to mach my playing on Ecossaise is not the best idea, or at least not yet. In a couple of years... :)

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Lucian - thank you for the advice. I will certainly try the STEP PRACTICE. And thank you for the positive feedback. I was a little down after the Ecossaise recording, feeling maybe this is not for me, but that feeling is gone and my focus is better.
Ed
Cordoba C7

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 am

Hey all, I have been unusually silent most of this month. Very busy at work, had to fight my insurer (got my cheque today :) ), and had been practicing (sort of) Caprich Arabe before these lessons were posted and developed blisters on top of blisters especially on my pinky. Anyway, my apologies for not chiming in on everyone's submissions. I hope to have my submissions posted during the long weekend.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Next attempt at ECOSSAISE. Went back to computer for recording. I actually misplaced the music so had to do the recoding without the music sheet. A couple of stumbles but better.

Cordoba C7

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:30 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:00 pm
Next attempt at ECOSSAISE. Went back to computer for recording. I actually misplaced the music so had to do the recoding without the music sheet. A couple of stumbles but better.
Hello Ed
It is comforting to see your steady improvement, and the advantage for me is that I can offer better and more focused critique.
First off, I would like you to consider a more face on camera view. Imagine your fellow students were in the room sitting opposite you. Now put your camera where our eyes would be and ensure we can clearly see both hands. In this way we can better evaluate your technique.
Basically however it appears that your basic technique is fine. I think therefore it is time to work on those "stumbles" of which there are more than just a couple :wink: . Assuming your hand positions, strokes, finger placements and the like are good then this is the next step in your development IMHO.
So, start working with a metronome. Set it at half the suggested setting for the piece and try to play it without a single mistake. When you come to the parts that trip you up, practice just that measure. Slow down the speed until you can play the section without error and only speed it up when you can play that part at least 5 times without making a mistake, then increase the speed just a bit and do this again. Maybe work with only 3 notes, then add a 4th, then a 5th. Remember...speed always follows technique.
I look forward to hearing you play a piece through without a single stumble. I don't care if it is at 1/4 speed because I know that will take care of itself.
I own a shower door company, and as I write this I am reminded that this is what I ask of my installers. The job has to be done perfectly no matter how long it takes. Rush the job and make mistakes and you get fired. Take it slow but perfectly and your pay stays low...but only for a while. The speed always comes and my installers are paid top dollar as a result. They do an excellent job.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 am

OK, my pinky is sore again. That hammer on certainly takes its toll :lol:

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi Ed. I think the feedback from Jules pretty much covers everything I can think of in connection with Ecossaise work.

I've used the metronome to help with difficult parts (described in Jules feedback ) and recently, the method described in the video link that Lucian posted recently. They do help. I have often wondered what a professional does when they pick up a guitar for the first time on a given day, I imagine this (as well as other methods) is how they do it.

Anyway, I suspect your tired of hearing it, but I honestly think it's how we practice that best explains our performance with these lessons (at our age, if we had musical talent we'd have been actively playing long before now....). I thought I was learning how to play guitar, but really I'm learning how to practice..

Hang in there, we're all in this together :bravo:
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm
I thought I was learning how to play guitar, but really I'm learning how to practice..
Very well said! :okok: A highly quotable insight!

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:51 pm

Tom, Jules - thanks for the feedback. I will use it in my practice sessions.
Cordoba C7

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am

Can I check that everyone has seen Exam Discussion posted by John on Thursday viewtopic.php?f=41&t=119448#p1271875

Your exam starts 20 May, so leave at least a week before, ideally more, so that your submission can be registered if you haven't yet completed 7.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi Colin - i saw your post.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am
Can I check that everyone has seen Exam Discussion posted by John on Thursday viewtopic.php?f=41&t=119448#p1271875

Your exam starts 20 May, so leave at least a week before, ideally more, so that your submission can be registered if you haven't yet completed 7.
Colin, I have read this post.

I have registered on the Spanish forum and am able to view uploads posted there (I've met the two message minimum) so I think I've done what is necessary with regard to registration. I am not listed as a STUDENT with that forum and I think this is no longer necessary (?). I am eligible to take the exam. So as far as I know I'm all squared away.
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am

Colin, I saw it.
Thank you,
Lucian

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:15 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:54 pm
I have registered on the Spanish forum and am able to view uploads posted there (I've met the two message minimum) so I think I've done what is necessary with regard to registration. I am not listed as a STUDENT with that forum and I think this is no longer necessary (?). I am eligible to take the exam. So as far as I know I'm all squared away.
Within a few days of your request John should have added you to the student group and registered you for the exam.
Looks to me like you are ready to go when the exam is announced. For exam piece, keep an eye on the end of the registration thread in the announcements section of the lessons, should be later this week.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:25 am

Exam piece announced viewtopic.php?p=1273468#p1273468
Good luck everyone

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”