D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:51 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS

- page 105 - 13/ Improvise a melody upon the harmonic sequence of Folias.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces.
Las Folias are played using strums with the index finger. The arrows indicate the direction of the strum. In the strum, several strings are struck in rapid succession, to give the effect of a chord, that is to say of notes played simultaneously.

- page 31 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) FOLIAS
In bars 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 the thumb rests on the 6th string. In bars 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 the thumb rests on the 5th string. It is important not to move the hand while the index finger moves up and down. Resting the thumb on a bass string helps to keep the hand still. It also prevents the accidental sounding of one or more bass strings that are not used in certain chords

- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE
This piece consists of a melody with accompaniment. The melody is played on the first string, except in bars 46 and 47. Bring out the melody notes (those with the stem pointing up) by using rest strokes with your third finger. Play the accompaniment (the notes with the stem pointing down) quietly, with gentle free strokes using the thumb, middle and index fingers.
On the first beat of each of the odd-numbered bars, you need to use a rest stroke for the treble note with your third finger while at the same time using a free stroke for the bass note, played gently with your thumb.
These two simultaneous strokes, one a strongly played rest stroke, the other a gentle free stroke, will seem very difficult, or even impossible, to achieve. But don't worry, my students manage this double stroke after 15 minutes. The first few minutes of practising this right-hand skill are always agonizing for students, because they feel that they will never succeed. In my lessons, my role is to reassure the students and encourage them to persevere. Often, after 15 minutes of repeating the same movements, students start to get there. Sometimes they are quite amazed at having succeeded at what seemed impossible. Because by repeatedly failing to perform rest and free strokes simultaneously, you end up convincing yourself that it's impossible. In short, persevere! Have courage!

Be patient, stay relaxed, don't get annoyed with yourself, don't curse me, just repeat the same movements over and over again while making an effort to get it right. In a few hours or a few days you will achieve mastery of this simultaneous rest and free stroke. This technique is used in the piece "Jeux interdits".
The marking CV, in bars 19, 20, 27, 28, 67, 68, 75 and 76, indicates a half barré with the index finger at the fifth fret.

- pages 68-69 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°9
The dotted lines joining two identical notes indicate that the fingers of the left hand are not lifted but remain in place on the fingerboard.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS
- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ACCORDS
VALSE

Salvatore Lovinello
ACCORDS
VALSE

David Florea
ACCORDS
VALSE
:( + ♫ = :)

Colin Bullock

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 am

We are nearing the time when the exam piece will be revealed - one month before each of the following exam dates:
Second-year final exam 20, 21, 22 May
Third-year final exam 28, 29, 30 May
Fourth-year final exam 28, 29, 30 May

It will be announced in the same way as D01 just has so you will need to look here viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&start=885#p1271222 to check which piece has been assigned.

Please check the beginning of each lesson series to make sure I have correctly registered your submissions and that you have not missed any.

Please read through the details of how the exam is conducted starting here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687#FAQexam1 and make sure you are ready to go.
Note: you will have to judge whether your playing of the exam piece is up to minimum pass standard by looking in the archive. Whatever level you are awarded in the exam, you will not be allowed to retake next year to achieve a better mark.

Good luck - and good playing

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up Collin. Good luck on your final exam.

Here are my submissions for lesson 8. I think this will qualify me for the final exam.
Accord #44.mp3
Accord #45.mp3
valse.mp3
Number 45 was a challenge. It took some practice to get my left hand fingers to move independently. I have yet to play the valse through without an error or fumble. I may give it another attempt later this week.

Sal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:49 am

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 pm
Thanks for the heads up Collin. Good luck on your final exam.

Here are my submissions for lesson 8. I think this will qualify me for the final exam.
Sal
Nicely played, very melodic.
Something not right with the G at bar 4, are you playing it sharp?
As a first attempt this is ok.

I'm in hospital for the next few days and John Montes will be watching over the lessons. Your 7 should be registered when Marko does his nxt run of the lesson index. You should be able to register for the exam before then as you can explain to John, but next week will be ok anyway, no rush.
Watch out for exam piece at end of week here viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&start=885#p1273468

Not sure I will be able to take part in this yrs exam, will see how it goes.

Best of luck (skill) for the exam

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Collin,

I hope the hospital stay is not too serious. Thanks for your help this last session. Get well soon!

Sal

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm
Collin,

I hope the hospital stay is not too serious. Thanks for your help this last session. Get well soon!

Sal
Just been cancelled because I have an infection. Looks like they will try again in 2 weeks!

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:49 am
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 pm
Your 7 should be registered when Marko does his nxt run of the lesson index.
I have updated the index.

Very sorry to hear you've been cancelled again, Colin.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

David Florea
Student of the online lessons

Post by David Florea » Sun May 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Accords

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sun May 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Valse

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sun May 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Sorry I'm behind a bit.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 pm

David Florea wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:29 pm
Accords
Congratulations David, not many manage to post lesson 8 before the exam!

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 pm

A quick reminder of some points for the exam:

Make sure your guitar is in tune
Say your name at the beginning of the piece and make sure your face can be seen at that point.
Keep the tempo as even and accurate as you can - allowing for rubato etc
Make sure your notes are correct without hesitations, try not to get buzzes.
From what I have seen in past years you don’t have to play the piece at full speed to pass, but you will lose marks; and playing slow and plodding or hesitantly will fail you.
When you post your piece make sure you include the text advised:
“Hello everyone,
my name is ............... ............,
I have followed Jean-François Delcamp's online lessons on the English-language forum.
I declare that I have posted on the English-language forum the recordings required for 7 of the lessons at the level for which I am submitting my entry today.
Here is my recording, made without any artificial effects or editing, of the required piece for the year-end exam.”

Good luck and skill

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”