D04 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:51 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- pages 118 Delcamp, Jean-François Scales n°27 and 28
For n° 28, try to find the best compromise between playing without any finger noise and playing legato. Bars 4, 5 and 6 don't present this type of difficulty, as the fingers can slide along the nylon strings without any noise.

Finally we'll look at 3 pieces.
- page 25 Anonyme, Oscar Chilesotti Se io m'accorgo ben
As in scale n°28, the main difficulty is to achieve legato playing. For the dynamics, start the first bar with a crescendo, then in the second bar play a decrescendo. Then continue using crescendo and decrescendo to match the melody. When the melody goes up, play a crescendo. When it goes down, play a decrescendo.

- page 82, 83 Strauss, Johann Lockvögel, valse opus 118
After the forte in the first two beats (which gets the attention of the listener), Johann Strauss uses the piano dynamic to maintain and sharpen the listener's attention. The valse (waltz) gets into its true rhythm from bar 4. From this bar onwards the rest of the piece has a 4-bar phrase structure.

- page 96, 97 Anonyme Mi Favorita
The first 3 bars are an introduction which serves to establish the rhythm and key of the piece. The (soft) accompaniment makes its entry in bar 4. The accompaniment is on its own from the first beat of bar 4 to the second beat of bar 5, in order to create a sense of expectation which will heighten the receptivity of the listener and prepare him for the imminent arrival of the melody. I advise you to play these two bars of accompaniment with a metronome. That will allow the melody (which starts with an upbeat at the end of bar 5) to display a free quality (a rubato) which will appear to have all the more character for having followed on from the strictness of bars 4 and 5. The contrast between strict rhythm and free rhythm will give savour and character to the beginning of this mazurka. Later there are many repetitions (bars 10-11, bars 14-15); vary the articulation (legato, staccato) and vary the tone colour (over the soundhole, towards the bridge, towards the neck).
After that, nothing else of significance happens, except for the modulation into G major.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 82, 83 Strauss, Johann Lockvögel, valse opus 118

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

valse opus 118
Mi Favorita

Andrei Puhach
Mi Favorita

Chu Bun
Mi Favorita
valse opus 118
:( + ♫ = :)

Zafar Haq

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi,Classmates,
This month, exam qualifying music sheets breakdown.

a. page 82, 83 Strauss, Johann Lockvögel, valse opus 118

1.Time Signature:3/4
2.Tempo:112
3.Strokes:Not defined
4.Measures:37
5.Phrases:Not defined
6.Damping:Yes,16
7.Repeats:Yes,m 4 to 19,m 20 to 35,Volta Brackets at m 35,36,37
Definition:"Volta brackets (1st and 2nd endings, or 1st- and 2nd-time bars)
A repeated passage is to be played with different endings on different playings; it is possible to have more than two endings (1st, 2nd, 3rd ...)."wiki
8.Special effects:Yes,Dynamics,
sf="Sforzando
Literally "forced", denotes an abrupt, fierce accent on a single sound or chord. When written out in full, it applies to the sequence of sounds or chords under or over which it is placed."wiki

p="Piano
Soft; louder than pianissimo."

f="Forte
Loud. Used as often as piano to indicate contrast."

9.# symbol:Yes,C#,F#,G#
11.Rest:Yes,quarter note at m 1,2,3,5,6,7,9,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,18, half note at m 20,
12. Articulation:Yes, Accent at m 5,6,7,9,10,11,13,14,15,17,18,19,29,
Definitin:"Accent
Play the note louder, or with a harder attack than surrounding unaccented notes. May appear on notes of any duration.
13.Improvisation:No
14.Slur:Yes at m 20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34
Definition:Slur"
"Indicates to play two or more notes in one physical stroke, one uninterrupted breath, or (on instruments with neither breath nor bow) connected into a phrase as if played in a single breath. In certain contexts, a slur may only indicate to play the notes legato. In this case, rearticulation is permitted.
Slurs and ties are similar in appearance. A tie is distinguishable because it always joins two immediately adjacent notes of the same pitch, whereas a slur may join any number of notes of varying pitches. In vocal music a slur normally indicates that notes grouped together by the slur should be sung to a single syllable."wiki
15.Ornament:Yes,
Definition:" Appoggiatura
The first half of the principal note's duration has the pitch of the grace note (the first two-thirds if the principal note is a dotted note)."wiki
16.Tie:No
17.sharp/flat/natural:Yes,sharp at m 2,4,12,18,20,27,28,34,,natural at m 2,16,
18.Barre:Yes at m 8,17,18,19,29,30,32,

b.page 96, 97 Anonyme Mi Favorita
Mazurca en mi
Definition:"The mazurka (in Polish mazurek, plural mazurki) is a Polish folk dance in triple meter, usually at a lively tempo, and with "strong accents unsystematically placed on the second or third beat"."wiki

1.Time Signature: 3/4
2.Tempo:not defined
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:56
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Damping: not defined
7.Repeats: Yes,m 6 to 22,
8.Special effects:No
9.Sharp Symbol:Yes,F#
10.Lyrics: No
11.Rest:Yes,quarter note at m 4,5,6,7,9,10,11,13,14,15,17,18,19,20,24,25,26,28,29,30,32,33,34,36,40,41,43,44,45,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,55
12. Articulation.No
13.Improvisation:No
14.Slur:
15.Ornament:No
16.Tie:Yes
Definition:" Tie
Indicates that the two (or more) notes joined together are to be played as one note with the time values added together. To be a tie, the notes must be identical – that is, they must be on the same line or the same space. Otherwise, it is a slur."wiki
17.sharp/flat:Yes, sharp at m 6,7,8,10,11,12,14,15,16,20,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,32,38,39,41,42,44,45,46,48,49,50
18.Barre:Yes,m 10,11,12,17,18,25,26,29,30,33,38,39,44,45,46,51,52
Definition:"a tempo"A tempo - Resume normal speed.

This marking is used after a change of tempo, often a rallentando or a ritenuto, to indicate that a performer should return to the main tempo.

For example, if a piece begins allegro, but then there is a passage instructing the performers to rallentando, the marking a tempo tells the players that they should return to playing allegro.

Definition:"poco rall."The Italian musical term rallentando (lit. “slowing down”) is a gradual decrease in speed similar to a that of a ritardando, but with more of a rolling stop effect; a lazy deceleration of the tempo that seems to have less certainty and drama than the ritardando."

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Zafar - I hope things are well with you. I miss your expert breakdown of the lesson.

Ed Butler
Cordoba C7

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:39 pm

A side note re Mi Favorita (by Daniel Fortea, not sure why the lesson says it is Anonymous): I watched a lot of videos on this Youtube channel: lattice concert guitar (remove whitespaces) where it is played on quite expensive guitars by a professional performer. I'd recommend to check it out just to listen to that fantastic tone. I was especially impressed by "Keijo Korelin Triticum 2017" (playing Fortea), that's probably is going to be my next guitar in a couple years :) I'll try to emulate this creamy tone color as much as I can on my relatively cheap guitar.
With all due respect to prof. Delcamp the tone in his video is not the best example to follow (but all other aspects of playing are great, it is just the tone which is way too metallic and thin).
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 am

Recording equipment, acoustic of the room, post processing, ... all contribute to how good a guitar sound. I wouldn't trust something heard on Youtube.

I think your guitar sounds pretty good so I went to the shop where I got my guitar and asked the owner to let me try a C9, but he simply refused. Then he picked up a guitar and played it, and afterward said that's the same guitar I had, and I could not consider a C9 an upgrade from it. I can't image my guitar sounding like that when I played it! So skill is another big factor. By the way I have a Francisco Navarro Student model. I believe the brand is better known now and they have raised their prices quite a bit.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:18 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 am
Recording equipment, acoustic of the room, post processing, ... all contribute to how good a guitar sound. I wouldn't trust something heard on Youtube.
That's very true. The best way to choose a new guitar is to try it yourself and compare with the current guitar _in the same conditions_. Room acoustics is a super huge factor. I brought my guitar to guitar shops to compare and in most cases I like my C9 much better even though when started playing some other guitar I thought it sounded great, better than at home. But when when I tried a C9 afterwards - it was soo much richer.
Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 am
I think your guitar sounds pretty good so I went to the shop where I got my guitar and asked the owner to let me try a C9, but he simply refused. Then he picked up a guitar and played it, and afterward said that's the same guitar I had, and I could not consider a C9 an upgrade from it. I can't image my guitar sounding like that when I played it! So skill is another big factor. By the way I have a Francisco Navarro Student model. I believe the brand is better known now and they have raised their prices quite a bit.
Interesting :) I wanted to ask at some point what guitar you are playing, thanks for the info. Yeah, your guitar is more expensive and better known.
I totally agree that the player and skill is way more important than the guitar. So, any guitar starting from ~$300 would be great for any student. I also understand, that a student might not be able to utilize the potential of a concert guitar.
But... but... that sound, these harmonics, this bass, sustain on a concert guitar... As we spend so much time with the instrument, why not play one which gives even more fun? Also, there will be more motivation to learn how to produce better tone and expand the color palette.
I'm currently quite satisfied with my guitar actually, but dissatisfied with my skill which is not ready for a more expensive guitar. Only after I can play certain pieces comfortably and reliably I'll buy a new guitar.
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 am

We are nearing the time when the exam piece will be revealed - one month before each of the following exam dates:
Second-year final exam 20, 21, 22 May
Third-year final exam 28, 29, 30 May
Fourth-year final exam 28, 29, 30 May

It will be announced in the same way as D01 just has so you will need to look here viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&start=885#p1271222 to check which piece has been assigned.

Please check the beginning of each lesson series to make sure I have correctly registered your submissions and that you have not missed any.

Please read through the details of how the exam is conducted starting here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687#FAQexam1 and make sure you are ready to go.
Note: you will have to judge whether your playing of the exam piece is up to minimum pass standard by looking in the archive. Whatever level you are awarded in the exam, you will not be allowed to retake next year to achieve a better mark.

Good luck - and good playing

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 am

This is a great piece for developing good tone and experimenting with colors. I tried to keep good tone, but the color does not really change much.
NOTE: I changed measures 20, 54 (the end of part 1) to add some "portamento". I heard this on Youtube as mentioned in my previous post and borrowed the idea (I think it sounds more interesting). Also, the beginning should be played faster I think.
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:24 am

Andrei,

That sounds pretty slick. Well done.

Here is my version. Not as refined as yours and with a couple of wrong notes.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:24 am
Andrei,

That sounds pretty slick. Well done.

Thanks, Chu!
I'd add more rubato to your rendition, but otherwise it is quite good!
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 am
NOTE: I changed measures 20, 54 (the end of part 1) to add some "portamento". I heard this on Youtube as mentioned in my previous post and borrowed the idea (I think it sounds more interesting). Also, the beginning should be played faster I think.
Sounds good with the changes. Very smooth, you get a great deal of musicality and expression into it.
Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:24 am
Still sounds very good, i think the smoothness will come with practice.
I don’t think I will have time for this before the exam.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:59 am

Another take. I memorize the piece this time, so it's easier to add some interpretation. The drawbacks are I tend to follow my own beat and miss stuff that I can't hear (damping, bass notes, ...) when playing from memory.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:28 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:59 am
Another take. I memorize the piece this time, so it's easier to add some interpretation. The drawbacks are I tend to follow my own beat and miss stuff that I can't hear (damping, bass notes, ...) when playing from memory.
That's a very interesting interpretation :) I like that it is more smooth, more legato and has more vibrato. You chose an unusual rhythm: each 8th is turned into a 16th :)
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:32 am

Exam piece announced viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&start=900#p1274919
Unusually, it’s an old favourite Scarborough Fair. I think most of you are already up to speed.
Good luck/skill

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:47 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:32 am
Exam piece announced viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&start=900#p1274919
Unusually, it’s an old favourite Scarborough Fair. I think most of you are already up to speed.
Good luck/skill
Thank you, Colin, for keeping us posted! This arrangement is not too difficult, we can get prepared well for the exam.
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”