D04 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Colin Bullock

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:47 pm
Thank you, Colin, for keeping us posted! This arrangement is not too difficult, we can get prepared well for the exam.
Yes, I’m hoping I’ll be able to do that as well. With luck my bug should ease this weekend to allow me to do lesson 7 videos
I have no doubts you and Chu will get a very good mark, and Dave if he manages to catch up.
All the best to you all

DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:21 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:41 pm
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:47 pm
Thank you, Colin, for keeping us posted! This arrangement is not too difficult, we can get prepared well for the exam.
Yes, I’m hoping I’ll be able to do that as well. With luck my bug should ease this weekend to allow me to do lesson 7 videos
I have no doubts you and Chu will get a very good mark, and Dave if he manages to catch up.
All the best to you all
Thank you Colin, I'm hoping to do some catching up this weekend. 2 weeks ago the dog died, and now we have a new puppy that thinks its funny to jump up at me when I am playing the guitar.

Am I right in thinking that the exam piece is Scarborough Fair - the same one that we played in one of the lessons? Is this intentional and will this make the exam piece a little too easy? I seem to remember something about buying copies of printed sheet music for this years exam, but I guess that idea has been scrapped.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:21 am
Am I right in thinking that the exam piece is Scarborough Fair - the same one that we played in one of the lessons? Is this intentional and will this make the exam piece a little too easy? I seem to remember something about buying copies of printed sheet music for this years exam, but I guess that idea has been scrapped.
Yes, it’s the same piece so I suspect more is expected of us than a straight play through, more tone colour etc.
I did ask about buying sheet music, but apparently the idea had to be shelved.
Like you I’m hoping to catch up this weekend, unlike you we don’t have a puppy, but I do have a bug!
Sorry to hear about the dog

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 am
- page 96, 97 Anonyme Mi Favorita

This is a great piece for developing good tone and experimenting with colors. I tried to keep good tone, but the color does not really change much.
NOTE: I changed measures 20, 54 (the end of part 1) to add some "portamento". I heard this on Youtube as mentioned in my previous post and borrowed the idea (I think it sounds more interesting). Also, the beginning should be played faster I think.

Excellent - you really have this one nailed. The rubato works well and the portamento makes it sound professional.
Your tone it nice as well, I think too many tone colours within such a short piece would make it feel a little crowded anyway.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue May 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Dave
You are now listed as qualifying for the exam and can register for it in the Spanish forum
Colin

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 am

My best effort which sounds pretty bad, but it's time to move on to the next lesson and final exam.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu May 03, 2018 7:46 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 am
My best effort which sounds pretty bad, but it's time to move on to the next lesson and final exam.

Sounds pretty good to me and you have some nice finger alternation in the right hand - in fact almost faultless. I just wish I could play as accurately as you.

Just a couple of points: The trills could do with being played a little faster. Also, you are playing this in strict time. Nothing wrong with that, but Strauss tends to played somewhat more rubato, often lingering for a short while on the first note of a descending scale like the one in bar 4.

Both the A section and the B section are of course repeated in this piece, so it would be nice to do something different the second time around though I've not quite decided how to tackle this yet.

So, good work and good luck with the exam - I'm sure you'll do very well.

:D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:52 am

Here is my version of Mi Favorita.

For some strange reason I seem to have changed the arrangement to something that is just a little too difficult for me to play.

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”