D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:05 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 83 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BARRÉ - BARRÉ - BARRÉ - CEJILLA
Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video.
Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 2 hours in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Next we'll work on five pieces :
- page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE

- pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241

- page 59 Felix HORETZKY (1796-1870) AMUSEMENT

- page 70 ANONYME (ca. 1850) DOS PALOMAS

- page 62 ANONYME Dans les jardins d'mon pere

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE
- pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Colin Bullock, John Montes, Rich (oski79), Marko Räsänen and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:59 am

New Bitmap Image.jpg
I found this in the Chaconne piece. Can someone tell me what this is??? I see no repeat indication, it appears to played through once. What does this mean?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Takamine C132S, Savarez 520 PI strings

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:59 am
I found this in the Chaconne piece. Can someone tell me what this is??? I see no repeat indication, it appears to played through once. What does this mean?
It looks like an explanation of how to play the grace note in the E chord above. There is often debate as to whether in a particular piece the grace note is played on, before or after the beat. Here it is shown clearly to play the A note and pull off to the G#. Means the chord starts as an Esus4 going to E.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Colin, thanks. I heard about that when I looked up "Grace Notes" recently. I have found the upstroke is requiring some practice to hit all strings uniformly, especially the low "E", in order to get the best effect (of that A & G#). It's basically a rest stroke, ending with my index finger resting against the "A" string.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Just getting to the Chaconne piece. Colin - very good explanation of the grace note. Watching the instructor he seems to be playing with all fingers on the down/up stroke - is that correct?

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:58 am

First attempt at Rondo. My LH was a little out of control on this...

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Chaconne attempt :( . Almost didn’t post this, it's rough. Still working on "a"-"m" slurs and "a" pulloffs, trying to get LH fingers to cooperate.

This month's work has made my fingers sore. :chaud:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:50 pm

HI Tom - well done. I think this piece really tests your endurance and your concentration. Just curious, do you use an android or apple phone for recording? I use an android and I am not sure I am getting an accurate recording. My wife has an iphone so I will try that next and see if there is a difference.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi Ed. Thanks. I agree, both of them were hard to practice often, my fingers would conk out.

I use an Android phone (Galaxy S5). I have noticed with my Android, if the lighting is poor the video gets a bit grainy. I also make learned to make sure the light source is more or less in front of me rather than behind (shadows). Give the Apple phone a try, it may have a better lens or something. It seems to me that video quality among phones is pretty much hit an miss.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Tom - thanks. It is not the video but audio. I also have a Galaxy S5 I just recorded on my wife's iphone and the audio is much better.
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:40 pm

Time to resume my work with Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar (Book 1). Might be able to finish up by September :guitare:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Tom - good luck with Noad. See you in September. Thanks for all of your help this year.

ED
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 pm
Tom - good luck with Noad. See you in September. Thanks for all of your help this year.

ED
Ed, hope all goes well with lessons over summer. Hope also that you get the nail problems sorted out. It was great working with you this term. I learned a lot this year. See you in September :ivresse:

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 pm

ED
Hey Ed, hope all's well. I'm still working Noad's book, but progress is SLOW. The second half of the book (2nd edition) is harder than the first. Hope your guitar work is going well. Most of Noad's exercises are duets, where the teacher can play along with the student.

Since getting Musescore, I've been entering the Teacher's part and then playing it back as I play the student's part along with it. Wow, playing a "duet" is a whole new ballgame. I've had to re-learn counting as I play in order to play along correctly, in particular when one of "us" has a rest. Its fun but a real challenge sometimes, sort of like trying to play along with a metronome...

Just thought I'd check in. Hope all is going well for you (and that you're staying dry up there).

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:17 pm

HI Tom - great to hear from you. Everything is good here - and I hope the same with you. Your duet practice sounds very interesting and a very good way to work on timing. I will have top add something similar to my practice routine. I have a couple of more lessons with my teacher before he returns to full-time college teaching and performing. He has been great. My main focus has been producing quality tone which in order to get that right I also need to get some of of the other basics correct. It continues to be a challenge.
We have actually been very dry - 5 miles away they have got a couple of inches of rain in the past week and we have had nothing.
Looking forward to the start of D03.

Take care.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”