D02 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Lesson 1

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:31 pm

Here's my second post of exercise and pieces. Thanks to everyone that has posted comments and advice about the pieces. The combination of these and M. Delcamp's videos have really helped me understand what I should be doing. Although I have been practicising since the first post, I've also become more aware of the need for improvement, and for damping in particular. I've have a go at Que Ne Suis-Je La Fougere for example but gave up trying to damp the C and G in m9 and B and G in m10. I can see that musically you would want to damp the G but I would have thought it would have been highlighted in yellow if required - it's so tricky! Would the rest be in a different place too, or do you ever get 2 rests shown?

The thing I'd really like some help with though is the hardest thing for anyone to advise on. How can I be more relaxed when recording or even just playing on my own!? It is around 8 years since I played regularly, so it's possible that practice and improving technique will help, but I'm still envious of many of you that look so relaxed when playing - Ryan, Richard and others for example.
Anyway, here goes, complete with missed notes, extra notes and the odd little nervous hand damping :roll:

D01p58n16
[media]https://youtu.be/TrvVazftm1U[/media]

D02 - Anonyme - Danse D'avila
[media]https://youtu.be/NBwrJJhj1iE[/media]

D02 - Anonyme - Que Ne Suis-Je La Fougere
[media]https://youtu.be/MRaWhV15oo0[/media]

Here's looking forward to lesson 2!

Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:00 am

Stewart,
Personally I thought you looked very relaxed.
I know that for me relaxing is the most difficult part, and I must have made 10 or more takes of many of my lessons to get one that I was comfortable about posting on here as I made many mistakes. So from my perspective, at this level of the game I think you look great and hopefully we both will gain confidence as we continue to perform these lessons and relaxation will naturally follow.
Jack

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi Jack - Thanks for you kind comments. Having looked again at your posts, you seem relaxed too. You certainly have a good confident, strong tone. I've just remembered that it was your first post of Que Ne Suis-Je La Fougere that made me realise how the melody should sing out over the lower notes. I noticed the roll of your eyes in the middle of the exercises though! I couldn't help a wry laugh and a shake of the head after one of my better attempts went wrong at the end, but I was able to edit it out. Yes, I've had dozens of false takes too. I think the recording process encourages it but I know it's important to adopt a 'play on' mentality, particularly if you can look serene during the mistakes. Overall though, I'm sure you're right - time and practice will bring confidence and with that more relaxed playing.
Greg - I enjoyed your version of Que Ne Suis-Je La Fougere too. It looks as though you managed to do the double damping, in fact I think you've done it so well it's hard to tell.

Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:46 pm

I am able to be fairly relaxed during practice but I was not able to do this during the recording/video (although I think I looked relaxed). I have noticed that practicing some of the initial "polyphony" exercises where the left hand isn't even used makes it easier to play very relaxed. Also, slowing a piece down helps a lot.

I think the problem comes when something is difficult enough that there might be a mistake, or there is a high pressure moment like recording. I believe that in order to be relaxed you have to not only not worry about a mistake, but practically be willing to make a mistake.

I thought it was interesting in reading Parkening's biography that he frequently talks about mistakes, and talks about the things that worried him. It is amazing to me that such a powerhouse at this level of musicianship still has to deal with these things. I think Parkening once said "develop a technique based on relaxation".
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:08 pm

I believe that in order to be relaxed you have to not only not worry about a mistake, but practically be willing to make a mistake.
Sounds like a quote from "the Inner Game of Music" which is not a bad book.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Richard, that book sounds intriguing, I will check it out!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Ok, lesson 2 tomorrow so here is my homework.

I feel confident in my playing until the camera comes on. Or do I worry less about the mistakes when it's off?
My guitar doesn't really sound that tinny I'm sure. It's a bit banjoesque.
Anyway looking forward to leaving Susanna behind now!
Danse D'Avila is in a previous post.

[media]https://youtu.be/nZQhi8_dX7k[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/OUPtqOZv968[/media]

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Hello Stewart,

Thanks for your recent posts,I enjoyed them. Relaxing is a challenge for me too--not as much on video but in anyone else's immediate presence. A couple things that help me relax (sorry if this is old news to you!) are making sure that my instrument is completely supported with my body and not with my hands. I can even shift around a bit in my chair without touching my guitar, without my guitar slipping. Another thing (and Richard might benefit from this) is making sure that my legs extend straight out from my body so they're parallel with the floor.

Once I have this position, I let my arms hang loose at my sides, roll my shoulders and neck to make sure they are not tense, then lift my arms to the instrument. Over time I'm learning which muscles are really needed to support my arms and which aren't.

These mundane details have actually helped in the psychological department of relaxation too. Keep up the good work--ooking forward to the next lesson!

Michael

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:04 pm

making sure that my legs extend straight out from my body so they're parallel with the floor.
My chair is far too low isn't it? For lesson two I will use a different chair.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 pm

:( + ♫ = :)

Michael Collings

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 1

Post by Michael Collings » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Since the earlier lessons opened up I thought I'd post a video of a few things that help me with rest strokes. This information is not anything new--actually, one can just observe M. Delcamp's videos to see it in action. However, because rest strokes are such a challenge to do effectively maybe these ideas will shed some light on the issue. (Any critiques or suggestions are welcomed. I'd hate to promote misinformation or bad techniques!)

[media]https://youtu.be/p3AiEPTk3IA[/media]

Cy Pawsey

Post by Cy Pawsey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:32 pm

thanks michael, I found your additional instruction most informative towards my trying to finesse these rest strokes. best regards cy

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 pm

My first post to D02.

[media]https://youtu.be/cKy9zEnK7As[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:45 am

Hi Ross
Your tone is clear and your right hand looks well placed.
I look forward to hearing your interpretations of the lesson pieces.

PS Your video is a bit dark, does your camera have a low light setting?

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:09 am

Thanks Richard, it is a little dark. I think compressing made it worse. I'll light it up for the next part of the lesson. Good tempo and phrasing for your tunes. I'm still having trouble increasing the tempo with all rest stroke melodies. I'm hoping that working with a metronome and counting out the pieces will help me get there.
Enjoyed your playing,
Ross

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”