D02 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
RossStep

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 1

Post by RossStep » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Here's Bute 15,16. If anyone has a good tip on how to play the G and E string rest strokes more consistently, I'd appreciate your comments.
Ross
[media]https://youtu.be/e6f4zujskQw[/media]

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Danse D'Avila: The thumb rest stroke is still awkward for me, especially when damping is required. Should I be damping with the side of my thumb as I move from 6 to 5 or is there a better way?
Ross

[media]https://youtu.be/d1JnobCnRrY[/media]

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Oh! Susanna

[media]https://youtu.be/RBb_X5yY1j4[/media]

Charis

Post by Charis » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Very nice, Ross!

I just started those lessons and I am facing the same difficulties cause I haven' t used apoyando for years and back then I had no nails so probably it was easier this way. I really enjoyed that warm sound of your playing.
Keep up the good work!

Charis

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:16 pm

Charis,
Thanks for you comments. I hope we can both figure out the rest stroke/damping challenges in D02.
Look forward to hearing your lessons, Ross

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Working on note duration and damping.

[media]https://youtu.be/kZoRAq4LLvM[/media]

Charis

Post by Charis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Nice effort, Ross.
Food for more practice? I think that mr Delcamp uses apoyando technique in two sequences of notes which makes it even harder.
Information overload for me in an ostensibly easy piece. I will need at least a couple of days, I hope...
Good luck,
Charis

Charis

Post by Charis » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Hello everybody,

This is my first upload (I felt it was about time for one).
Dance D' Avila.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I know I still need practice but I never could imagine how hard is this technique.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Charis

Post by Charis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:03 pm

And here is "Oh Susanna". I would like to have some more time to work on that since it has some mistakes but next time I hope I will. I would like to work on the sound as well.
Anyway, enjoy and any feedback is welcomed. :D

Charis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Charis

Post by Charis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:50 pm

And that 's the last one. Not perfect but not bad I think...

Thank you for listening,
Charis

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:31 pm

The thumb rest stroke is still awkward for me, especially when damping is required. Should I be damping with the side of my thumb as I move from 6 to 5 or is there a better way?
I had the same problem it does seem awkward. The first few lessons are all about damping. Basically play the 6th and end the stroke on the 5th to damp it. When playing the 5th loop the thumb back to rest on the 6th to damp that. Generally your playing is good and you seem have good control of both hands.

Charis your pieces are also well played. There are some notes that sound a bit loud, sounds to me like tension in the right hand. There isn't an easy answer for this and there are loads of posts about it on here.

Charis

Post by Charis » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you very much Richard,
I know about that tension. I believe that still rest stroke isn' t coming naturally for me and the loud notes are a result of that effort. I 'm keeping working on that because even in the past I avoided apoyando (probably because of its difficulty) I start liking it now. I hope for improvement in the future.

Thanks again for your useful comment and looking forward for the next one (those are that make us better),
Charis.

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Charis,
Nice to hear you play. All the pieces sound great. I agree with Richard's comments on tension in the rest stroke. The volume will level out as you get more comfortable with the alternating strokes. I also found that catching a fingernail can have the same effect on the volume. Shorter fingernails seem to work better on the rest stroke. File a little, then test on a string until all the nails feel comfortable and have the same sound. Knowing that the stroke will work will help you relax and be confident. As for damping, D02 lesson 2 has a some helpful exercises (p72&84). JFD's video demonstrates the timing on the damp which seems like a silent stroke done in rhythm to me. See you in Lesson 2.
Ross
Last edited by RossStep on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark C

Post by Mark C » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 am

Just starting the lessons...

I had thought the first few would be easy, but the thumb rest stroke is proving to be a challenge. I've read thought the advice here, and will keep working on it. Hope to upload something here in the next few days.

Mark

Charis

Post by Charis » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 am

Welcome Mark.

I though the same about those first lessons but they are really challenging. They deal with technical aspects that most of the people avoid when they don' t have a teacher.

I hope to listen to your playing soon,
Charis

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”