D02 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Peter Johnson

Re: D02 - Lesson 1

Post by Peter Johnson » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Yes, it does sound much better.
I tend to let the head fall down and play with a hunched back. Not good for my back or my backside which both get sore after a while.
To play these apoyando's properly it seems really necessary to lift the head (CG head, that is) and maintain good posture. This seems unnatural but It sounded so good I decided to try some pieces and was really impressed with the tone. Must get used to this position...
What a brilliant way to find the correct position for the RH.
Thanks JFD!

Yan Cheng

Post by Yan Cheng » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:19 pm

A quick question about notation, what is the meaning of yellow-colored blocks?

HugoHJ

Post by HugoHJ » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Yan Cheng wrote:A quick question about notation, what is the meaning of yellow-colored blocks?
Those are the dufficult parts.

Rick-in-Annapolis

Post by Rick-in-Annapolis » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:24 pm

HugoHJ wrote:
Yan Cheng wrote:A quick question about notation, what is the meaning of yellow-colored blocks?
Those are the dufficult parts.
I thought the yellow blocks represented fingering changes from the previous edition.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Make sure you read M. Delcamp's first post in this topic. It includes a suggested practice timetable as follows:
3 days when you can devote 15 minutes to repeating each difficult passage 6 to 12 times. I'll indicate these difficult passages to you by highlighting them in yellow.
and
3 days when you can devote 40 minutes to studying the guitar, made up of
- 15 minutes practicing the difficult passages (highlighted in yellow),
- 15 minutes repeating the individual phrases (indicated by phrase marks) several times in succession (3 to 6 times)
- and finally 10 minutes playing the piece or pieces in full.
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GrahamK

Post by GrahamK » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi, thought I'd upload a version of "Que ne suis-je la fougère". Still needs alot of work to smooth things out.

I used my Takamine 522sc plugged straight into my PC.

Regards,

Graham.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Charlesoln

Post by Charlesoln » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Good job Graham!!! It sounds pretty clean to me... Your bass line seems a little soft compared to your trebles which stand out very well! I'm not sure, but in terms of regularity, I think there is a slight wavering of your rythm, but overall, it sounds so much better than what I can yet play...The fingering alternation i-m is giving me a hard time, my fingers want to play truant on that part and do their own thing!!!
What I find very interesting in this piece is how it's changing my touch, it's much softer and precise than before

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Charlesoln wrote:Good job Graham!!!
Yes!
Charlesoln wrote:What I find very interesting in this piece is how it's changing my touch, it's much softer and precise than before
Snap!! I am also finding the same thing occurring. Biggest thing for me over this last week has been about awareness of 'layers' to my playing. Not only the touch thing but also listening to the piece more intently while trying to employ the damping. The damping has been a real challenge, figuring out the fingering and having my fingers multitask.

All the best.

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Nice job Graham. I am still working out the rough edges.

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:46 pm

What is the English translation of QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGÈRE?

GrahamK

Post by GrahamK » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Charlesoln wrote: Your bass line seems a little soft compared to your trebles which stand out very well!
Hi all, thanks for the comments. My bass has always been a problem to me. I played all that piece with free strokes but it's very important that I learn the technique of rest strokes with my thumb! (which I'm finding very hard)

That said, I should still get more bass even with a free stroke. What do you guys think?

Graham.

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:14 pm

QadirASabur wrote:What is the English translation of QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGÈRE?
When I plug it into my French to English translator it reads 'That I am not the fern.' Not sure how accurate that is.

All the best.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:59 pm

It's from a poem where the poet wishes he were the fern on which his sweetheart lies, the air that she breathes, the flowers under her feet, etc. It begins "Why am I not the fern on which, at the end of a fine day, my shepherdess rests, under the protection of love?" or words to that effect.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Charlesoln

Post by Charlesoln » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 pm

QadirASabur wrote:What is the English translation of QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGÈRE?
Mmmh! Now that's a good one! It's really tricky translating because of the old and high litterary style... It's a text from a François Louis Riboutté (a french author from the XVIIIth century)
I tried translating it, but I'm not sure it will really carry the feeling of the style in english, call it poetic licence.... :mrgreen: :roll:

why am I not a fern___________________Que ne suis-je la fougère
upon which at the end of a sunny day,____Où sur la fin d'un beau jour,
my sherperdess comes to lay_____________ Se repose ma bergère
under the watch of Love!_______________Sous la garde de l'amour !
why am I not the Zephyr _______________Que ne suis-je le zéphire
to perk up her charms,_________________ Qui rafraîchit ses appas,
the breeze that her mouth breathes, ____L'air que sa bouche respire,
from her footsteps the flower begotten.__La fleur qui naît sous ses pas.

why am I not the pure stream __________Que ne suis-je l'onde pure
In my wake her bosom to welcome! _____Qui la reçoit en son sein !
why am I not the finery, _______________Que ne suis-je la parure
after her bath to cover her! ____________Qui la couvre après le bain !
why am I not the mirror, _____________Que ne suis-je cette glace
in which again mirrors ________________Où son miroir répété
a grace to our eyes presented __________Offre à nos yeux une grâce
and to beauty smiles. _________________Qui sourit à la beauté.

why can I not in dream, _______________Que ne puis-je par un songe
keep her heart enchanted! _____________Tenir son cœur enchanté !
why can I not from lie _________________Que ne puis-je du mensonge
to truth pass!________________________Passer à la vérité !
The gods who gave me soul _____________Les dieux qui m'ont donné l'être
too ambitious made me. _______________M'ont fait trop ambitieux.
For all I will __________________________Car enfin je voudrais être
is to be all that pleases her. ____________Tout ce qui plaît à ses yeux.

And yes, you will get plenty bass with a rest stroke and that damping (or rather, it's timing) is a really tricky, but nifty gimmick, I can't wait to get a real handle on it.
Greg, I agree that the intent of listening and the "discoveries" that come with it are what makes the difference... :discussion:
It's really comforting to see people confronted to the same difficulties

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:23 pm

In "Que ne suis-je la fougère" is it ok to let the basses that are followed by rests to ring on or do they need specific damping?

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”