D02 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Gregory Martell

Re: D02 - Lesson 1

Post by Gregory Martell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:46 pm

RichardJ wrote:In "Que ne suis-je la fougère" is it ok to let the basses that are followed by rests to ring on or do they need specific damping?
I have been playing it as written, that is to say, I have been trying to specifically damp the strings. It is tempting to let them ring, but listen a few times to the bass notes that Mr Delcamp plays and you will hear that he damps the notes you are referring to.

All the best.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:21 pm

I guess I knew that really and have just reviewed the video and you are right.
I find that trying to damp them throws out my timing for the melody.
Either that or I play them twice as my thumb goes straight into the stroke when it hits the string even though it's only supposed to be damping.
My thumb has a life all its own:)

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:36 pm

RichardJ wrote:I guess I knew that really and have just reviewed the video and you are right.
I find that trying to damp them throws out my timing for the melody.
Either that or I play them twice as my thumb goes straight into the stroke when it hits the string even though it's only supposed to be damping.
My thumb has a life all its own:)
He he ... paying attention to damping has kinda knocked the stuffing out of me. Learning to purposefully rest my thumb on a string and resist the urge to pluck is... well ... :evil:

Charlesoln

Post by Charlesoln » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:38 pm

:mrgreen: :lol:
I have the same problem, except it's the finger order that has a life of its own!!! It says imam, pffft, my i says nonononono, I'll get that for you.... :roll:
The actual damping of the strings is the most difficult part for me at this stage, especially on "Avila's Danse" but I found that it changed the rythmic feel of the phrase by making the way clear for the following bass to sound percussive and powerful...

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

I'm relieved to hear that others are finding these more difficult than perhaps they initially thought. I think I've neglected the rest stroke over the years! Also I'm probably spending too long trying to work out how to video myself and not enough time doing the exercises. After some doubts as to whether I should switch to D01 I'm now just enjoying the challenge that these (simple) pieces pose - well, M. Delcamp makes them look simple/effortless anyway!
Congratulations to those students who've already posted something and thanks to those who've posted advice or just reassurance above.

Stewart

Dr Bill

Post by Dr Bill » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 pm

stewart wrote:I'm relieved to hear that others are finding these more difficult than perhaps they initially thought. I think I've neglected the rest stroke over the years! Also I'm probably spending too long trying to work out how to video myself and not enough time doing the exercises. After some doubts as to whether I should switch to D01 I'm now just enjoying the challenge that these (simple) pieces pose - well, M. Delcamp makes them look simple/effortless anyway!
Congratulations to those students who've already posted something and thanks to those who've posted advice or just reassurance above.

Stewart
I can certainly identify with this. I am finding it a bit of a struggle and haven't progressed to the studies yet - still trying to master "Polyphonie"

Charlesoln

Post by Charlesoln » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 am

yep, I totally agree, I thought too of going to 01, but I like these pieces and I'm learning so much out of it, it's like rediscovering my instrument and the potential I can get out of it... Finally!
I guess we're all in the same boat, eh! :D I set myself until the week end to post a video, regardless of how bad it may sound, to force myself to work fast enough, I tend to be more efficient when I have a set objective (well, actually, the pressure of the deadline is what really gets me lol)

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:07 am

Question re Damping in Que ne suis-je la fougère...

I have been working at employing the Damping marks. Its all good. But in doing so I have also been paying more attention to the score and the timing value of each of the notes. My specific question is regarding measures 9-10 (& 17-18). The second G that gets played in those measures should be damped, right? The next note in that voice is the F which is an 1/8th after the G, but when you play the F the G still rings because its the open string... make sense?

Greg.

Peter Johnson

Post by Peter Johnson » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:06 am

Hello Greg
You could use p to damp the G after playing the F. This would sound cleaner.
My problem is the maintenance of strict fingering according to the layout by M. Delcamp. The im seem to have minds of their own. Especially the highlighted part. I can do this over and over, get it right just relax a little then it goes wrong again. (Finger independence!)
Also in measure 11. How do you damp the open E? You have to have a fingering plan. Not just im but also use the a so that the m is available to damp the E after playing the D with the i. i.e. play the F with the a finger, E with the m, D with the i, damp the E with the m.

Dragonbones

Post by Dragonbones » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:49 am

stewart wrote:I'm relieved to hear that others are finding these more difficult than perhaps they initially thought.
:lol: Yeah, we're all in the same boat here. But after working on it for a week, it seems to be getting a little easier. So be sure to persevere, and practice, practice, practice! When we're done, we'll all have improved skills, right? :D
Pleasure is spread through the earth In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find. —William Wordsworth

2008 Sergio Huerta concierto,
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Richard Judge

Re: D02 Lesson 1

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 am

One week down so we are all going to be hurriedly posting in the last few days? :roll:
I've been on this forum for 4 years according to my profile so I'm not going to be defeated and drop to 01 at this stage.
i.e. play the F with the a finger, E with the m, D with the i, damp the E with the m.
Is this the "String Damping Rap" from Master Damping MC? :D

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:00 am

Peter Johnson wrote:Hello Greg
You could use p to damp the G after playing the F. This would sound cleaner.
Yes. I have been using i to damp the G and p to damp the C. It took some getting used to but it is slowly coming.
Peter Johnson wrote:Also in measure 11. How do you damp the open E?
Actually, I have been using the pad on finger 3 when it plays the D... just leaning it a bit to touch the E string... not sure if that is good or not?
Peter Johnson wrote:You have to have a fingering plan. Not just im but also use the a so that the m is available to damp the E after playing the D with the i. i.e. play the F with the a finger, E with the m, D with the i, damp the E with the m.
Yeah, I have found myself putting some effort into sorting out fingering and noting it on the score. I get the feeling though there could be some variety with these among students. I have approached measure 11 quite differently than you...

Peter Johnson

Post by Peter Johnson » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 am

at 68 I never thought of myself as a rapper, but hey...!
Actually I'm changing my mind about some of what I said re: the fingering. When its consolidated I will publish a new verse.

Porgy_M

Post by Porgy_M » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm

I have been playing for almost 10 years and never, ever did a rest stroke with the thumb. From this lesson I discovered the act of "listening " to the difference in sound between a rest stroke and without. Amazing. I realise how much lightweight my playing sounded. That said, Lesson #1 which I thought would be a snap has turned out to be more difficult than anticipated. Good though to get back to basics.

GrahamK

Post by GrahamK » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Peter Johnson wrote:at 68 I never thought of myself as a rapper, but hey...!
Actually I'm changing my mind about some of what I said re: the fingering. When its consolidated I will publish a new verse.
Very Funny! Only when I read it back it made sense with some beatbox. :lol:

Graham.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”