D02 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Michael Collings

Re: D02 Lesson 1

Post by Michael Collings » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:59 pm

Like everyone else, the dual rest strokes in thumb and fingers gave me a run for my money! But that's why I'm taking these lessons. Here's Danse D'Avila.

[media]https://youtu.be/fGhD3arsgpM[/media]

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Excellent job Michael, if I can get anywhere close to that for my second try I'll be delighted!

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:07 am

stewart wrote:Excellent job Michael, if I can get anywhere close to that for my second try I'll be delighted!
Thanks Stewart, I enjoyed your videos too. In the spirit of being a consummate beginner (I've been a "beginner" for about 13 years now!) I've also been doing the level one exercises. These Delcamp lessons have revealed to me how weak my rest stroke is. I've been playing the level one rest stroke exercises and striving for a good tone. I find that this warms me up for the level two stuff. Keep up the hard work!

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:16 am

Michael, that is very nice for a "beginner"! I'm thinking maybe you've stretched the criteria for beginner a little bit as I would say you are years ahead of me on your playing ability.(I have a couple of years under my belt and I know I'm still a beginner.)I agree that the apoyando excercises are a nice warmup for the D02 excercises. I was very impressed at how smooth you played those rest strokes and nice tone. Now I have an idea of what I should sound and play like! :)
Jack

Charlesoln

Post by Charlesoln » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:03 pm

wow! I'm afraid what I'll be posting won't be of that level!...lol

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Jack, I said I was a "consummate" beginner but what I should have said was "eternal" beginner. I'm realizing the importance of the "simple" things, or the fundamentals. Thanks for these lessons M. Delcamp!

Here's "Que ne Suis-je la fougere"
[media]https://youtu.be/9upqTFe2K1A[/media]

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi Folks... well done to all of those who have organized themselves enough to record and post their work to date.

The last couple of days have brought about some interesting thoughts for me. I enthusiastically jumped on board with these lessons from day 1. A great idea and it suits me and my situation. I have been fortunate enough to manage an hour per day working on lesson number 1. I already had a routine in place that only needed slight adjustment so there was no upheaval in my home with inconveniencing the wife and kids... :P

Before following the lesson plan, I was already going through the D01 and D02 collections as well as material from the Eythor Thorlaksson site as well as some Trinity graded material and working on some of my own simple compositions. So now almost 2 weeks have gone by and I sense I have hit a wall. The videos of Mr Delcamp and the other students have been very good in helping me to be more specific in working on damping, pima fingering and 'listening' more intently to what my instrument is 'singing'. I have played all 3 pieces enough to have memorized the notes/score, and have almost got the fingering on both hands sorted... but do you think I can play just one piece through without a mistake?

Now, by mistake, I mean a top level one. Something like a missed string on either hand or a momentary brain fade where for a split second I am lost which results in a distinct interruption in the flow of play the piece. I am not talking about a more subtle level of mistake like forgetting to damp a string or neglecting to apply the suggested fingering or forgetting to emphasize a rit.

I think stewart mentioned earlier that probably the purpose of posting the video's or recording of ourselves was to show a before and after type of progress. That makes a lot of sense (if your personality can handle the thought of this type of internet exposure). I have pulled out my iTouch several times now and tried to video myself but I cannot get just 1 take without a top level mistake. What I find interesting about my own experience so far is that I have reached a small plateau with these pieces. In the first week I consider that I made great progress on many levels of comprehension, motor skills, timing and listening which ultimately means that I have 3 new pieces in my 'portfolio.' However, I sense that I will need far more than the remaining week or so of lesson 1 to be able to play them at a level where I could record them and ask for feedback on the lower level skills. Mr Delcamp has stated that at the end of each lesson the thread will be locked and no one will be able to upload or comment on video's and the content of the thread. It will be read only. I wonder though if there is a possibility of considering a way for those who have registered for the lessons to have access to their respective lesson thread to be able to post recordings and video's after the cut off date suggested. Why? because I am pretty sure that each lesson will have consequences to learning and playing that will take longer than 3 weeks to get the benefit from.

I believe that I am at the correct level for these lessons. I do not think I have bitten off more than I can chew. However, it might be that half way through lesson 3 that I will finally make a decent performance of a lesson 1 piece. It might be that my learning does not come together in nice little linear chunks, but in a more global way. I would love to post my attempts at the pieces, but I wonder how many people will just simply not post because the pace at which things come together for them will not fall into the cut off dates.

Please do not get me wrong. I think these lessons are simply wonderful. However my involvement with potential online instructors and my piers might simply be as a 'lurker' rather than a fully participating student.

Comments....? :?:

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Hello Gregory! You raise an excellent point! I signed up for the Lesson 1 series because when I first started guitar at the community college I skipped the beginning guitar class and went right to classical guitar 1 because I did not wish to use steel strings or a pick. Well everyone in the class could play so I always felt behind. Hence I did not want that to happen this time. I've actually been playing for almost a year now so the pieces in Level 1 seemed more than easy enough. But could I record a piece without errors? NO! And the pieces are really simple. I'm not sure if it was the recorder being on or what but I just couldn't believe that I could not get a clean take of the first level piece in level 1. But one of the reasons for me taking up the guitar so late in life was that I have other issues with self consciousness so my hope was that this endeavor will peel some of those layers that I have managed to put up. Anyway, I am reading all of the level posts because they are so helpful. I do understand Mr. Delcamp's putting a time limit on it and I made sure I put up a video right away so I would be sure to be considered enrolled. I have yet to put up additional videos which was my intent but I'm not stressed about it because at least I got up one! Maybe a person in level 2 could just put up one line of a piece? Something so that a time limit is workable but also a smaller portion so one doesn't run out of time? Just a thought. Mostly I wanted to add that yes, I definitely was shocked that I had to make several attempts at such an easy piece in level 1. Thanks for your post, Susan

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:19 am

Gregory Martell wrote: I have played all 3 pieces enough to have memorized the notes/score, and have almost got the fingering on both hands sorted... but do you think I can play just one piece through without a mistake?...

Please do not get me wrong. I think these lessons are simply wonderful. However my involvement with potential online instructors and my piers might simply be as a 'lurker' rather than a fully participating student.

Comments....? :?:
Hello Gregory, I could be wrong, but I don't believe the posting requirement is to weed out students who make "top level" mistakes (that's a great term by the way!), rather just to encourage students to put themselves "out there." I think that SusanGRas has a great idea- to post one line of a composition. A short post may earn you some crucial feedback. For what it's worth, I say go for it!

Dragonbones

Post by Dragonbones » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:05 am

Hi all, I just want to let you know that a lot of us are in the same boat here -- it's very very hard for me, even after a week or more of practice, to get through any piece without a big mistake. But I'm still going to have to record it and put it up. So please don't think you're alone in this or at the wrong level. Just do your best, and put it up. :) Others will be doing the same, and we'll all learn from this together. :ivresse:
Pleasure is spread through the earth In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find. —William Wordsworth

2008 Sergio Huerta concierto,
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Peter Johnson

Post by Peter Johnson » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:18 am

Like everyone else, this is why I am doing this? Even though I thought I was quite reasonable on this instrument I realise that actually I am not.
What an eyeopener!
My teacher once said listen to what you are playing and he did not say that only once. We tend to scramble through the pieces we play just to get to the end, or I do, ignoring mistakes on the way.
Now I don't have a teacher so this is a wakeup call!

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:56 am

Dragonbones wrote:Hi all, I just want to let you know that a lot of us are in the same boat here -- it's very very hard for me, even after a week or more of practice, to get through any piece without a big mistake. But I'm still going to have to record it and put it up. So please don't think you're alone in this or at the wrong level. Just do your best, and put it up. :) Others will be doing the same, and we'll all learn from this together. :ivresse:
Hello everyone, I think Dragonbones is spot on. I know the attempts I've posted had several 'top level' mistakes but I've made some shocking mistakes in music exams and still passed - presumably because at some point the examiner saw enough competence and more importantly heard some musicality despite the nervousness and errors. I'm really hoping I'll be able to look back at my first videos in a year's time and, although there may be some embarrassment, I'll just think - I could play those so much better now! I've never really been an active member of a forum before, although I've searched and viewed many as part of my job. What has impressed me here though has been the supportive, respectful and friendly nature of the posts. So as it says above - Just do your best!

Stewart

pmb379

Re: D02 Lesson 1, here: on mistakes and perfection

Post by pmb379 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:51 am

Hello everyone,

I, too, find it difficult to play through a piece, even one at my level, without mistakes after only a week or two or three of practising.

Back when I had proper lessons, as a child and teenager, I remember we didn't practice many pieces to perfection. We only did that with pieces that were chosen for some recital, or - of course - competitions. The latter could take the better part of a year to practice to perfection, or close to it. The rest was practised to a reasonable smoothness, then we went on to the next piece to learn.

While no one explained to us, back then, the background reasons for things that we were told to do, I have thought about this or that since, especially recently, when I started playing again.

In this case, I believe it takes a lot more than a week or two of patient and *slow* practising to commit certain movements of the fingers and their combinations to muscle-memory. And it is, so I came to believe, only when a whole piece is committed to muscle-memory on a purely mechanical basis, when the music can really soar, when you don't have to *think* about which finger goes where, and exactly how. Especially dangerous, I find, is the time when that process is almost done. You go into some kind of trance, into a kind of flow, listen and watch something within you playing, and then something wakes you up in mid-piece. Then, if you are not quite perfect in that piece yet, you stumble. Like the sleepwalker on the roof ...

But the point here is, perhaps, that by practising many pieces from the collection in proper succession, even if you don't practice every single piece to perfection, you will practice certain bits and pieces, typical problems, to perfection and muscle memory, in many different contexts. I find, after I have been showing my wife and my mother the ropes a bit, with the help of the D01 book, it works, especially because the pieces are chosen by Jean-Francois in a way, that one builds on the particular problems of the one before. And later, sometimes a later piece comes back to an earlier problem, in a new context, with deepens muscle-memory and understanding both. I don't think I have seen a better thought out "school" for guitar before, unassuming as it seems at first glance.

I believe, that there are some pieces worth practising to perfection, and those are the ones that touch you personally a lot. Make your heart sing, etc.

Many of the rest might well be stepping stones - not more, not less.

So, I personally would not worry too much about absolute perfection in many of those pieces, as long as the particular problems are dealt with, and that's what I recommend to my wife and my mother. It seems to work out ok, so far.

Differing opinions are welcome, of course. I always like to learn, too.

Regards,
Peer

Charlesoln

Post by Charlesoln » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Same here with the difficulties. The way I see it is that posting a video or an mp3 forces us to put a deadline in place to "present" what we've achieved so far, thereby prodding us to be more "productive" ,"efficient" and preventing any "slacking" off... At least, that's pretty much the way it works for me... lol
What's more, and to my mind far more importantly, it allows others to watch and give feedback on our work, our mistakes (bad posture, fingering et al.), which allows us to identify what we most need to work on. That to me is the crux of these online lessons, the advice...
The other major thing working for the lessons is being able to watch and listen to the demo run as many times as we feel necessary, which was the one thing that kinda blocked me with lessons, i.e. the teachers shows you a piece or a technique, then turns around and says: "your turn now" without realizing that you haven't got your mind round that yet. And it may take more than two or three listenings to get the idea...
Concerning posting videos of "better" takes on our pieces, closing the topic is not an issue, since there are entire sections dedicated to posting our recordings of pieces... That's where I'll put my "improved" versions... ;)

Irene Tirtajana

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:27 pm

I've been reading the many posts about how difficult it is to do one perfect recording, and I completely agree! Nonetheless, made up my mind to put at least one up by this weekend, so here goes, fwiw...

The piece, Danse d'Avilla, is a good exercise for the rest strokes and damping. The things that seem to help have been mentioned at this forum: picture the place where the fingers are supposed to end, picture twisting a winged nut/ snapping fingers, but I found one more today: bevelling the fingernails. I heard of this from my tutor, but initially didn't have much faith in it. Since I practised this piece the past few days and found my m finger keps snagging on the string despite it being trimmed short and trying all sorts of hand positions, I filed a 'slope' under the fingernail and voila!

The recorded piece still a bit shaky but feeling more confident with the lessons now! :casque:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”