D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Matthias Bober

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Post by Matthias Bober » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks Robert. Actually I understand about the damping itself. I was just confused because video and score differed :)

cheers,
Matthias

Matthias Bober

Post by Matthias Bober » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:30 am

Hello all,

Plugging away at the lesson and I was wondering about the time table. Should we continue with the next lesson after one week or should we continue with the exercises until we've perfected the required pieces? The reason I ask is because I find the exercises quite demanding to be honest and I can't play them nearly as good as I was hoping.

One other thing, I find myself getting quite out of breath while counting out loud :) I guess I need to learn a better breathing technique.

cheers,
Matthias

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:58 am

Hi Mathias,

I think there comes a point where you just know it's time to move on. It doesn't mean you can play everything flawlessly. For me, it's when I get tired of playing the same thing and I feel I understand the lesson. If you have doubts, post a new video and ask for opinions.

Hope this answers your question.

Bob Goodwin

Matthias Bober

Post by Matthias Bober » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks Robert. I think I will continue as soon as the exercises go smoothly enough for my liking.

cheers,
Matthias

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:29 pm

I find that when I occasionally go back to the earlier lessons, they are much better than when I first recorded them. It's a nice way to see the progress you've made!

Matthias Bober

Post by Matthias Bober » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Yes James, it's always fun to revisit your own old works, makes me cringe sometimes but on the other hand it shows the progress :)

cheers,
Matthias

Alejandro Cervantes

Post by Alejandro Cervantes » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Very late starter here! Quick question: When are the exercises that are not pieces supposed to be practice? I see difficult spots highlighted in some, but not others. I practice those at the proper time, but what about when you practice entire phrases? There are no phrase markings on the exercises.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi Alejandro,

Regarding practice, I always try to cycle through all of the various exercises spending a little extra time on anything that I have difficulty with. I think it's good to break up the concentration on a difficult part and then come back to it a little later with fresh eyes. It's funny but the areas I have trouble with are not usually the ones marked by Professor Delcamp. It's mostly due to concentrating on a particular phrase; I end up pausing between the current phrase and the next one.

As I understand it, the phrases are marked by the long curved line above the staff.

EricIsdaman

Post by EricIsdaman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:39 am

Hey Thank you so much for you effort on putting all this together. Is really appreciated.

I have a question... what does damp the preceding note means in the music sheet for the D01 means?
there is a symbol like a star and is graded with numbers going from 1-4 and p i m a next to that symbol?
Thanx.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:10 am

Hello Eric,

it means that you should touch the string of the previous note with the indicated finger so as to stop the vibration. 1-4 refer to the left hand fingers and pima to the right hand fingers in the order: thumb, index, middle, ring. It takes a lot of getting used to but it results in much cleaner sound. Worth the effort.

Cheers,
Mike

EricIsdaman

Post by EricIsdaman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:20 am

MikeJay wrote:Hello Eric,

it means that you should touch the string of the previous note with the indicated finger so as to stop the vibration. 1-4 refer to the left hand fingers and pima to the right hand fingers in the order: thumb, index, middle, ring. It takes a lot of getting used to but it results in much cleaner sound. Worth the effort.

Cheers,
Mike
Hey thank you for the quick response.
Does it matter where the "star" shaped sign is in the clef. For example in exercise one of D01, there is this sequence. Exercise one 4th bar. First position b natural b natural, then it goes to 5th bar with the star shaped at the 1st line indicating like being a f natural, and in the bottom there is g natural.
So in this case am I suppose to damp the f note? Or the previous note which was an b.

Thank you

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi Eric,

I don't believe there is any significance to the vertical position of the star. In the 3rd measure, at the same time you play the
B you are meant to dampen the E string since it will still be ringing. Similarly in the 5th measure, you are meant to dampen the B string as you play the G. If you scan through the other lessons of D01, you'll see that the star is usually (but not always) either above or below the staff.

EricIsdaman

Post by EricIsdaman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:35 pm

MikeJay wrote:Hi Eric,

I don't believe there is any significance to the vertical position of the star. In the 3rd measure, at the same time you play the
B you are meant to dampen the E string since it will still be ringing. Similarly in the 5th measure, you are meant to dampen the B string as you play the G. If you scan through the other lessons of D01, you'll see that the star is usually (but not always) either above or below the staff.
Thank you. Is very clear to me now.

Best Regards.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Mike,
It's good to see the alumnus going back to help the ones just starting. Your explanations were very clear.
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

EricIsdaman

Post by EricIsdaman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:53 pm

here comes another question :)

1st what does that eight means exactly under the treble clef. Does that has anything with the counting of the note. I normally cont half notes like this..1..2 why this ones here are counted like 16th notes?
Is it good to count out loud?

Thanx

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”